Author Topic: MSD Ready to Run Help  (Read 4163 times)

Albarnett99

• View Profile
MSD Ready to Run Help
« on: June 18, 2019, 08:15:57 PM »
Anyone know how I can test the module within a MSD Ready to Run distributor (8595)?  I recently started the car and lost power. Could not get it to start again after multiple tries. I have confirmed I have 12v at the coil, spark, fuel, and charged battery. Even tried another known good coil.

I understand there is a way to test the electronic module but not sure how to do that. Anybody experience this with a MSD Ready to Run?  Appreciate any advice you may have to get it running properly.

427LX

• View Profile
Re: MSD Ready to Run Help
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 08:17:38 PM »
Can't stand MSD products! But then not many choices left these days.

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 09:06:15 AM »
Difficult to add link here so I suggest going to Holley website and sifting through to MSD. There is a test indicated for the module involving an ohm meter. Or straight up google it.

Good luck,
JB
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

machoneman

• View Profile
Bob Maag

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 01:41:33 PM »
I gave up on my MSD Ready to Run and ordered a distributor from Faron.

My MSD experience was beyond belief. I installed it and a 6AL box, and it ran for about 12 minutes. Following the MSD diagnostics it appeared the internal module had failed. MSD confirmed my diagnosis over the phone and had me ship it back to them. Eventually they sent it back claiming to have repaired it and it ran for 40 minutes, only two in gear, before it failed.

Same diagnosis and I shipped it back again. Weeks went by and I was told it had been tested and found bad, but they couldn't repair it and ship it back because the shaft had been drilled too many times (once by them in the factory and once by Barry R to install the right gear for the cam). After a series of insane conversations where the told me they had no shafts and didn't have any plans to ever have a shaft again, and they couldn't take one out of another distributor or send me a new  distributor because they had none in stock and no plans to ever have any more in stock (I'm not making this up, it was like talking to insane people), suddenly I was told they were sending it back and there was nothing wrong with it. They denied it had ever failed a test.

Got it back and installed it and it ran for 10 minutes. I returned it to Survival. I don't think Barry ever gave me a credit for it, and I don't know if he ever tried to make it work. He may have a final episode, but I've never had a problem with the Duraspark I got from Faron and I chalked it up to experience - avoid MSD.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 01:44:47 PM by Yellow Truck »
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 02:22:43 PM »
The ohmeter test is worthless, trust me. The "official" way to test the box is to short the white wire and check if you get a spark. If you get a spark and you lose spark after plugging it back in, then the pickup is bad.

Now, my take....I have done the short check on the box and got really sporadic results. I've got a YouTube video showing how it acted like the box was bad, but it wasn't. My experience is don't trust that test 100%. I ended up replacing the pickup (despite it 'checking' good), and the car fired instantly. I have been through this routine 4 times in the last few years. This will be the last MSD distributor I use, I'll be switching to a regular Duraspark unit, but keep the MSD box. I still like the ignitions, but I'm sick of having to carry spares and having random failures on the pickup.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 04:33:43 PM »
You know...I think I sent that thing back through the warehouse I get them from - Motor State Distributing.  Thought they might have more leverage since they purchase hundreds of them from MSD.

I dont think I ever heard back about it...

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 05:15:38 PM »
Lotsa credit to Yellow Truck, just seems like you had a heck of a time getting that pickup truck straightened out.  Hope you have nothing but troublefree time of it

Albarnett99

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 06:12:21 PM »
I’ve seen the link on how to test a box. This particular distributor can be run without the box. Anyone know the part # for a replacement module?  I reached out to MSD for a test procedure and got nowhere.

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 08:20:44 PM »
Is anyone making a good RTR distributor that's semi-reliable anymore?

cattleFEeder

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 11:47:03 PM »
Remember, RPM is your friend

fe-starliner

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 08:55:24 AM »
"YellowTruck"....I'm with you on MSD quality.  I had used their products for years and I bought a new MSD billet distributor and 6ALDigital box about three years ago.  Unfortunately for me I didn't install them for two years or more because of difficulty completing the car / engine build.  The box failed less than 1,000 miles of use.  And being out of warranty I had to take the loss, but I'll NEVER use anything MSD again on my four vehicles.  I replaced the MSD distributor with a factory from Faron and no problems since.  I'm even using points.....but at my age (75) and the limited driving I do I'll never have to adjust them.
1960 Starliner, 406-6V, TKO-600, 4.11 9"
1961 Starliner, 427 4V, SS700 5 speed, 4.56 9"
1968 F-100 SWB, 352 4V, C6, 3.25 9"
2012 Mustang, 226" V6, 6 speed auto, 3.31 8.8"

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 12:34:24 PM »
You know...I think I sent that thing back through the warehouse I get them from - Motor State Distributing.  Thought they might have more leverage since they purchase hundreds of them from MSD.

I dont think I ever heard back about it...

Barry - I asked them for a return authorization or what ever they give and they said to just return it to where I bought it. I do have the email thread that I can forward to you.

fe-starliner - I had it on the shelf for almost a year before I had the truck ready to take it. Part of the reason I didn't go nuts on Barry over getting my money back was I wasn't sure the idiots at MSD would take it back, and then I forgot about it until this thread.

Drew - a lot of the credit goes to you and a few other guys on this site that shared what you know. I'd have had a lot more trouble and a lot less fun getting it to work right without this forum and its members to keep me moving in the right direction. My biggest issue now is I need to replace the valve covers with a pair that are not tin (need a good clamp to get a seal since I have a lot of oil in the heads thanks to a high output oil pump I put in) with both holes at the front so I can put a pair of breathers on and get rid of the PCV valve that is currently capped off. Other than that it is running like a top.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

Albarnett99

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2019, 04:34:03 PM »
After going back and forth with MSD Tech Support, I decided to pull the Ready to Run distributor and swap in an old Mallory that I had sitting on the shelf.  This unit had been working fine prior to swapping it out for the MSD.  I popped it in today and tried to start the car.

No luck.  Cranks over fine but will not fire.  Any ideas where to go from here?

427LX

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2019, 04:55:21 PM »
I'm currently running a Crane Hi-6 box....forgot how old it is and the matching PS92 coil.
Also a nice Accel Billetech distributor Race without Vac Advance. That has been in there now on 2nd engine and keeps on spinning. Thing made like a Swiss watch and was 20 bucks cheaper than the MSD Billet distrib that was total crap!

Of course none of these are made any longer!