Author Topic: Surprised with the fit of my new Victor  (Read 2955 times)

Pentroof

Surprised with the fit of my new Victor
« on: May 09, 2011, 06:23:03 AM »
I know a lot of people have had issues fitting up their Victor intakes. Some required machining to even sit the thing on a motor. I was pleased this weekend to get to the point of fitting mine up on a spare, un-modified block and find that it fits...perfectly. With no cork in place, all mating faces seat perfectly and the bolt holes are perfectly centered. I did not stab a distributor in it yet, but that's the least of my concerns. I was concerned because I don't know a real good machine shop near me that I could trust.

My intake is a fully machined EFI unit and I wonder if this is the difference. Could it be that since they have it fixtured to machine the injector bungs, they take care of the other areas? Or is it that Vic is actually listening to the customer?

The one area that pisses me off is the bolt holes. The top of each intake bolt hole should be spot faced, and they are not. With a few of them adjacent to a runner, the casting surface is not even close to being square with the hole. I'll have to take care of that with a spring loaded mill from the opposite side. Then I can focus my efforts on porting!

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Surprised with the fit of my new Victor
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 07:30:09 AM »
If I recall correctly, I tested a total of four Victors during my intake comparo work, and two of them fit fine, while two of them required some additional machining.  I'm not sure if the additional machining required for the injectors played into it or not; I'd think that would be just a separate machining operation for the EFI intakes.  But, I guess its anybody's guess.  Glad that it fit on the engine correctly; going back and forth trying to get an intake to fit can be a time consuming and tedious process. :-\
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
new Victor fits: not sure if that is good or not....
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 09:24:20 PM »
Re: "FITS=With no cork in place, all mating faces seat perfectly and the bolt holes are perfectly centered."

Just wondering --- if after installing the gaskets will it maintain all tolerences esp bolt holes and the infamous ends...????