Author Topic: Milodon Windage Tray  (Read 6371 times)

JimNolan

• 63 Galaxie XL 410ci / 57 Fairlane 500 390ci
    • View Profile
Milodon Windage Tray
« on: November 23, 2012, 07:38:47 PM »
Guys,
   I bought a Milodon Windage Tray Part No. 32224 from Summit and the front corner lip at the oil pump hits the block. It has this extended lip  on the oil pump side that actually goes down into the block about two inches.  Have any of you had this trouble. I hate altering it and find out it doesn't fit somewhere else too. Jim

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Milodon Windage Tray
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 03:47:21 PM »
Jim, I haven't used a Milodon tray, but check close at the rear main cap oil dump too. 

One brand years ago used to block the rear main cap where it dumps oil from the bearing

By blocking that dump, it pressurized the rear main and leaked like a sieve.
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

JimNolan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 05:06:19 PM »
Thanks,
    I 've never heard that. I hate cutting the front to make it work, then something else be wrong and I can't send it back because I cut it. Jim

lovehamr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 09:46:47 AM »
but check close at the rear main cap oil dump too. 
One brand years ago used to block the rear main cap where it dumps oil from the bearing
By blocking that dump, it pressurized the rear main and leaked like a sieve.

Ross, would you explain this?  I have no idea what the "rear main oil dump" is. 

As I'm a visual learner, pics would help....... ;D

Thanks, Steve

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 10:03:21 AM »
This is the hole between the two cap bolts on the rear main cap.  Oil that is skimmed off the crank by the seal exits through this hole and back into the pan.  If you block the hole with a windage tray or a gasket, the oil can't escape and this leads to rear main seal leaks.  Don't have a picture handy, I'm afraid...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 10:59:08 AM »
As Jay said there is an oval slot between the main cap bolts.  All engines have something like it, pressurized oil has to dump out so it isn't pushing against a rear main.  Otherwise a rear main could never hold oil

You can see the pic below, along with some trimming this unknown poster did to fit his tray.

Beware, even oil pans can block this if not beveled at that location, its important to watch for
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

lovehamr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 03:39:48 PM »
Thanks guys.  I'm going to be switching from my Canton pan to an Aviad here shortly and this is great info to have.

JimNolan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 04:50:12 PM »
Lovehamr, 427stang and all,
    I called Milodon about my windage tray not fitting ( 322224 ). Talked to Tom. He said go ahead and cut on it. So this is what I had to do to make it fit my 410 with Eagle H-Beam rods.
   First off you'll notice that the left side of the block interfers with the windage tray where the main cap forging runs up the side of the block. I notched the pan in those places. Plus, the oil pump and oil pump casting on the block interfers with the front left side so you've got to trim the windage tray there to get the oil pump and pan to fit . Now, the rods hit the windage tray. I noticed the side I notched had three tabs that extend from the rail to the windage tray so I bent those down thus raising the tray on that side. Now, the tray fit. I installed the gaskets and pan and torqued it down. I turned the engine over and I heard it hitting the pan. Pulled it all apart and found that when I torqued it down the right side drain slots ( which was punched out toward the crank, God knows why they didn't punch the cutout toward the pan where it wouldn't interfer ) were hitting the rod bolts. I took a ball peen hammer and closed the slot at the places the rods hit. You can tell because the places where it hits are shiny now. That done I put it back together and and it clears OK now.
   No where, No where, did I find anything on bending those tabs for clearance. Milodon apparently thinks you'll figure out why that side of the tray is held onto the mounting rail with tabs. Also, their engineers should have known that you punch the drain slots so you don't have metal sticking up into the crank. Jim PS. Don't ask for pictures, it ain't coming apart again. PSS:  The 268H comp cam with the eagle crank and G6608 Summit roller timing chain set came out at 107.25 ICL with the dots lined up. ( using .050 readings )
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 05:16:22 PM by JimNolan »

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 10:19:33 PM »
I don't use the Milodon tray very often for that reason.  The Ford, Canton, and now (after a revision) Moroso trays all bolt into place with no drama.  The Milodon does not even fit the box it's shipped in... too much pain for no real gain compared to the others.

JimNolan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 10:44:03 PM »
I forgot to add that putting six quarts of water into the pan with the tray in place will put the water over the windage tray (not using gaskets). With 1/2 quart in the oil filter it would just be about even. Once it's started the oil level would go down too. I wanted to see where 6 quarts of oil would come to in a 5 quart 1968 baffled oil pan with windage tray. Jim