Author Topic: Different Sound After Intake Change  (Read 1720 times)

RangerRat

• View Profile
Different Sound After Intake Change
« on: May 22, 2019, 08:45:08 PM »
Anyone else noticed that their exhaust sounds a lot different after swapping to an Edelbrock RPM intake? I previously had a cast iron 4bbl intake.

Nightmist66

• View Profile
Re: Different Sound After Intake Change
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 10:28:15 PM »
Only obvious things that come to mind are vacuum leak and ignition timing. Retarded timing will give a slightly lopier idle and advance will slightly smooth it. Lash setting the same?
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

WerbyFord

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 11:00:43 PM »
IIRC the RPM does not have a heat crossover?

Seems like I notice a little difference in sound when blocking the crossover, it acts like a mini-H-pipe.

I could also see where the intake might "howl" differently due to runner or plenum shape & size but never really noticed it.

RangerRat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 06:54:09 AM »
It's not the timing. That was my first thought too. I was wondering if no heat crossover could be it. The motor runs great. And definately pulls higher up the rpm range than before. But as soon as I fired it up I noticed it really changed the sound of the exhaust. Kind of an off idle throbbing sound. Like a blurb, lol. Almost makes me think of the way an AMC V8 sounds. I really liked the way it sounded before. Full throttle still sounds the same I think. Kinda disappointed. But as long as it runs strong

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 09:27:02 AM »
i noticed a different exhaust note changing carbs.650 to a 850.i would guess any time you change the intake or carb  it changes the amount of air going in it could change the exhaust note to some degree.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

RangerRat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 12:39:32 PM »
I guess so. It was unexpected though. Another thing I've noticed. I have 40 Series Delta Flows on it. And on my CJ-7 with an AMC 360. Now the CJ is kinda loud I guess. But, whoa, that 390 is unbelievably louder than the AMC motor. But the 390 probably has twice the horsepower too lol

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 02:21:57 PM »
Yes a intake will change sound some a cast iron duel plane makes a cam sound bigger at idle i went from a stock cj.To a streetmaster it sounded different at idle.Same on a 351c from stock to a torker

RangerRat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 03:29:04 PM »
Hmmm. Well it definately changed mine. Can't say I like it as well. But the motor definately breathes better. I also haven't noticed any spark knock since changing the intake either. It was a constant battle before.