Author Topic: Inventoried some of my FE's today  (Read 2238 times)

FERoadster

• View Profile
Inventoried some of my FE's today
« on: May 21, 2019, 08:12:09 PM »
And found some casting identifications I didn't think existed. And a speed shop from Michigan for Werby and TomP.
First off I only looked at 10 blocks out of the 20+ I have.
The 2 oddballs both had 22 cast parallel to the TC cover where the 352 or 105 would be. On one the 105 was under the oil filter adapter and the other was inside  the bellhousing area.  Neither have reinforcing ribs. The one with the 105 under the oil filter adapter has a casting date of 8G13 I forgot to get the other blocks date. My other couple of 105 blocks only have 105 on the front bulkhead.

Finally for the 2 ex-Michigan folks and other current residents.  I brought this engine from Michigan to Oregon in 2004 and just stuck in a corner of my shop with a bunch of other FE Blocks.  Looking at it today to ID the stroke and bore I noticed that the crank was ground for balancing on the throws and connecting rods. The front counterweight has "Mayfair HiPo shop" etched In the ground off section and a code #. A search found a HAMB post about a 1969 Mustang built by this shop in Taylor Michigan but the shop has been closed for many years.   I'm from about 35 miles north of Detroit so I only knew about shops in Pontiac and Lake Orion such as Bernella's who raced a Funny Car.

Anyway are there any stories to be told about Mayfair HiPo shop?

Richard >>> FERoadster

machoneman

• View Profile
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 08:49:49 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

TomP

• View Profile
Re: Inventoried some of my FE's today
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 12:19:26 PM »
I am not from Michigan... been there a few times is all.

I recall Mayfair being on a radical 61-66 style pickup with a TunnelPort. Clyde Detrick as I remember.
I am sure, Barry , Randy or Dennis or someone else will know.

WerbyFord

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 12:57:31 PM »
I am not from Michigan... been there a few times is all.

I recall Mayfair being on a radical 61-66 style pickup with a TunnelPort. Clyde Detrick as I remember.
I am sure, Barry , Randy or Dennis or someone else will know.

Tom you may have hit on it.
Mayfair sounded familiar I just couldn't place it.
But for sure I remember us getting a near new 428pi intake about 1977 from Clyde D for $75 (huge money back then), and he did a couple sets of heads for us. I saw that pickup run at Milan and wondered WTF was in there, ran 10s or 9s or something ridiculous. That was circa 1990 give or take. A nice no-BS guy if that was Mayfair.

Dumpling

• View Profile

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 04:43:30 PM »
Oh, yes! There are stories...... 8)

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/mayfair-auto-parts-hi-po-stang.649993/

Bad link

Yep! Can't copy the link here unless one signs up for the H.A.M.B. and views it directly. Didn't know that...........
Bob Maag

chris401

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 10:29:38 PM »
And found some casting identifications I didn't think existed. And a speed shop from Michigan for Werby and TomP.
First off I only looked at 10 blocks out of the 20+ I have.
The 2 oddballs both had 22 cast parallel to the TC cover where the 352 or 105 would be. On one the 105 was under the oil filter adapter and the other was inside  the bellhousing area.  Neither have reinforcing ribs. The one with the 105 under the oil filter adapter has a casting date of 8G13 I forgot to get the other blocks date. My other couple of 105 blocks only have 105 on the front bulkhead.

Finally for the 2 ex-Michigan folks and other current residents.  I brought this engine from Michigan to Oregon in 2004 and just stuck in a corner of my shop with a bunch of other FE Blocks.  Looking at it today to ID the stroke and bore I noticed that the crank was ground for balancing on the throws and connecting rods. The front counterweight has "Mayfair HiPo shop" etched In the ground off section and a code #. A search found a HAMB post about a 1969 Mustang built by this shop in Taylor Michigan but the shop has been closed for many years.   I'm from about 35 miles north of Detroit so I only knew about shops in Pontiac and Lake Orion such as Bernella's who raced a Funny Car.

Anyway are there any stories to be told about Mayfair HiPo shop?

Richard >>> FERoadster
I have seen the 22 on the left front like you described. Not common that I know of. Did the 8G13 105 have two dots under the 8? If so it could be one of those Uhaul FEs we have heard of.