Author Topic: Cheap headers that fit a Country Sedan?  (Read 2064 times)

octane.music

• View Profile
Cheap headers that fit a Country Sedan?
« on: May 21, 2019, 04:33:37 PM »
Hi all.

OK, so I've had a slight change of plan for now, as in I'm not currently going to throw a load of money at the 390 I've bought for my '63 Country Sedan (was going to do top end kit / stroker kit etc...), but I'm simply going to get the 352 in the wagon a little more 'road legal' than it is at the moment.

For this, it needs an exhaust, at the moment it's just on original headers, but I'm wanting to change them for something else that I'll eventually put on the 390 when it does eventually get transplanted. I'm looking for cheap stainless headers that'll do the job adequately enough. I don't want to spend lots, and I'll also need to make (or buy) an exhaust system.

Do you have any recommendations? As I can weld (a bit) I'm happy to potentially get the exhaust in kit form and cut / make to suit.

Thanks! (It's going in this)

« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 03:45:37 AM by octane.music »

turbohunter

• View Profile
Re: Cheap headers that fit a Country Sedan?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 04:55:54 PM »
First of all, you’re awesome for wanting to get that deal on the road. Kudos to you and your good taste.
Second, stainless and cheap are never seen in the same paragraph, let alone sentence.
I have a 66 Squire wagon with a cheap set of headers on it and it’s a pain. At first I tried to find a gasket sitch that would work but they all blew out after a while. I took the passenger side header off and checked it out (BTW they’re just cheap block huggers from someone). Had to re weld around the collector and add material to the flange in order to be able to make a flat surface. But now it seals.
I’ve yet to do the driver side.
If you’d like I’ll get you the name of this set when I get home (they suck but with some work they’re ok) but you can prolly find a set of block huggers in the Summit catalog.
If you’re going to make a set, a company called SPD has some really nice flanges and stuff.
http://www.spdexhaust.com/pdfs/HeadFlanges/FE.pdf
I used them for my mustang and their stuff is first rate.
I haven’t found a set of ready made headers for wagons but there must be something out there somewhere. I seem to remember talking to FPA about it but I’m to beat to remember anything right now. Good place to start though.
Good luck.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

WerbyFord

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 06:27:33 PM »
Not sure I follow the thing about it being a wagon- Ive never heard of wagon exhaust being different.
My 64 wagon often gets the "hand me down" parts from our 64 XL, so the wagon inherited its entire exhaust system which bolted right on, all the way to the mufflers behind the rear wheels. This was with 406 short iron exhaust, but I never heard of the wagon being different.

I'd agree though on stainless never being cheap!
But you should be fine with 63-64 "car" stuff for the wagon.
Convertible might be different due to the frame.

Wagons are a big hit at the strip, whether fast like Battlestar or slow like mine - they always draw a crowd & cheers.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 07:18:49 PM »
It may be Mr. Werby. I’m a little to foggy/tired to remember right now but a simple call by the op to FPA will straighten it out.
253-848-9503.
They make good stuff.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 09:48:59 AM »
I can remember people telling me that bumpers from my 2 dr aren't the same as a wagon(especially on the back)>  Wrong.  The bumpers from my wagon are on my 2 dr(since they were junk and the wagon bumpers were super nice).  I ran long tube cast iron headers on it for some time, til I got real headers and the cast irons got moved over to the 2 dr.

Agree, it's taken years, but wagons are now the rage.  I can remember back in 1992 when I was laughed at for buying mine.  Not so much now, people can't stop taking pictures of it.
Larry

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 12:12:43 PM »
Larry did you buy your headers off the rack or custom?
If they were off the rack were they just a straight Galaxie pn?
BTW now that I’ve had a good nights sleep I should have said I’m unaware of any wagon designated headers.
And the point I was trying to make about cheap headers is you may have to make them work.
43rd cup of coffee coming.....
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 01:34:23 PM »
I actually have Crites headers on the car.  2" tube, more of a racing style header.  2 pipes in front of suspension, 2 in rear.  Not really an issue on the street, but I sure do mash my pretty bad when I drop 4000# on them!!!!   :o

They are nice pieces, very well built.  I've had thoughts of getting a set for my 2dr with the blower motor.  But the cast iron headers seem to work fine for what I do with it.  They come uncoated, but I had them coated before I did a final install.

http://www.critesperformanceparts.com/
About half way down.  $445.  They install pretty easily since they are 4 separate pipes with bolt on collector.  They have flanges for exhaust hook up.
Larry

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 03:58:17 PM »
I used a set of Sanderson FF-390 on my '62. No modifications needed. I did have to do some fab work on collectors to adapt them to the original 2" H pipe.  If you are making all new exhaust it shouldn't be a problem.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 09:41:16 AM »
I have a set of FF390 Sanderson headers on my 62 wagon now.   I don’t recommend them if you have an aftermarket bellhousing, removing the passenger side header is all but impossible to remove or install without either pulling the engine or pulling the bell.   On a regular auto bell I think it would be ok.   I’m selling my used set if interested, upgrading to a set of FPA headers.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 04:04:22 PM by drdano »

octane.music

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 06:47:59 AM »
Cheers for the replies chaps.

I should clarify, I'm in the UK, so getting parts is kinda a 1-shot deal, and by Country Sedan I know it's a Galaxie, don't worry, I was simply stating what it was. :D

Will look into it all soon.