Author Topic: No oil from a few rockers.  (Read 1376 times)

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
No oil from a few rockers.
« on: May 21, 2019, 11:04:50 AM »
Used pos junkyard engine. Factory non-adjustable rockers in what appears to be decent shape. 0.70 restrictors, used oil pump that I pulled apart and tightened some clearances.

Doing a pre oil big 1/2 arm breaker drill. 10W40 oil 40 psi on the gauge, PLENTY of oil from the rockers/shafts except for a couple #2 exhaust and another on # 3. I rolled the engine over while priming as well thinking maybe it might help. Shafts are in the correct orientation, no galling, holes look open and clear rockers look the same.

Why? Oil is obviously going along the entire shaft holes are open and wet with oil on the shaft but not flowing from the rockers like the others.

I know the answer is pull everything apart or replace with new but there is no reason even worn parts shouldn't be flowing oil. Excessive clearance on the other rockers and oil is taking path of least resistance is only thing I can think of. But I've seen rockers and shafts in much worse shape that worked fine.

Ill probably throw another set on and see what happens.

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: No oil from a few rockers.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 02:24:12 PM »
Are the shafts slotted, or just plain holes? You'd have to pull them apart and confirm that the holes in the shaft are indeed open and not clogged internally. Those shafts hold a lot of crud inside! I'd also verify some clearance between the rocker and shaft. While they're apart, I'd check to see if those rockers have been replaced with aftermarkets during a rebuild at some point in the past. If they have been, clearance might be too tight. Never know what you'll find.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 03:51:54 PM »
They are the 2 hole type, where one of the holes has a slot across it at an angle. I even pulled the offending rockers back and hit the holes with compressed air.

These where the assemblies that where on the engine no sign of any prior oiling issues. No idea if they are original or not, bottom end looked like it had been rebuilt a few times so who knows about the rockers. Nothing feels overly tight.

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 08:21:28 AM »
Swapped with another set all is good. Fired it up last night and also found an ever so slightly bent push rod that I had previously missed. It was just slightly rubbing the intake as it rotated. One of those deals that would have drove me crazy with a random noise while on the road so i'm glad I found it.

After running for a bit it carried a rock steady 19" of vacuum which was a pleasant surprise.