Author Topic: Oil Additive question Rev-X  (Read 1133 times)

FERoadster

• View Profile
Oil Additive question Rev-X
« on: May 20, 2019, 10:06:33 AM »
This could most likely be in the Technical section but because it was recommended for my 2007 F350 I'm asking here.
The service tech. who works on my 6.0 diesel strongly recommends Rev-X oil additive whenever I change my oil.
I'm using Rotella T-6 synthetic and change every 5000 miles (probably overkill but this truck has to last). He states that the injectors that are hydraulically operated will not be so likely to fail. For $35 or so per oil change that's probably wise.
Rev-X is not distributed anywhere near here so it's an online order.
Has anyone used this product? Reading about it, it seems to improve the oils friction fighting properties.
I realize Amsoil (sp?)  and others claim the same.
Richard

Edit: checking the Ford Truck web sites I see that Archoil9100 is strongly recommended as an additive to allow less friction in the Injectors. Has anyone used/use that product? i
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 03:30:21 PM by FERoadster »

Ghoughton

• View Profile
Re: Oil Additive question Rev-X
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 07:18:41 PM »
I had an 05 6.0. And currently have an 08 6.4. The diesel mechanic I use,
drag races and truck pulls ford diesels. He highly recommended RevX for oil
and fuel in the 6.0 and for fuel in the 6.4.

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
Re: Oil Additive question Rev-X
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 07:48:46 PM »
I used to use Rev-X a lot. But it's just a friction modifier mostly according to the lab tests I've done on a new un-opened bottle. I only use it when customers specifically want it these days. It won't hurt anything using it, but with a HEUI fuel system your best bet is a quality oil changed at reasonable intervals. The biggest issue with the second gen HEUI injectors is that they spool valves can be bent if you over-pressure them with cold oil. I always change the cold oil temp tables for ICP so it's easier on them, but then you need to let the truck run for a bit and warm up or it is pretty lazy with the low ICP pressure.

A good 15w40 (I prefer Delo because it's got some of the best anti-foam additives and is pretty shear stable, both important in HEUI fuel systems) and block heater or a 5w40 and run it for the next 500k miles.

Would highly recommend full EGR delete, a good custom tune, new OEM oil cooler and coolant filter for reliability.