Author Topic: 66 Fairlane, 427 engine swap (rear end)  (Read 1346 times)

Dan859

• View Profile
66 Fairlane, 427 engine swap (rear end)
« on: May 13, 2019, 06:19:05 AM »
Hi everyone,
I recently bought a 66 Fairlane, 6 cylinder, 3 speed standard transmission.  I want to swap in my 482 FE (Engine info and specs are posted in the dyno section) , a 4 speed toploader trans., and a 9" rear end.  For this post, I just want to deal with the rear end questions.  First, what is the size of the housing for the 66 Fairlane 9" rear end?  I've found different measurements on the internet, and I don't want to get it wrong.  I think the housings are all the same for the 66-70 intermediates like Fairlane, Torino, Comet and Montego.  Is that true?  Second, would I be better off to just contact one of the aftermarket suppliers and have one built to the standard size for the 66 Fairlane?  This might be a good way to go, because by the time I source a rear end, get it shipped, get it rebuilt, and get it all ready to go in, it might be quicker and easier to get something built to order, so I can spec the type of posi, gear ratio, axle splines, etc.  Third, what type of posi should I be looking for?  Finally, will the stock driveshaft be OK to use?
Thanks in advance,
Dan

cattleFEeder

• View Profile
Re: 66 Fairlane, 427 engine swap (rear end)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 06:57:11 AM »
First thing is don't use the stock drive shaft, using quick performance thru strange makes  custom drive shafts with drive yoke for your trans for $400 and that's 1350 billet u-joints. They would have my measurements as they built 1 for my 66 with a eaton tru trac and rear disc brakes.
https://www.quickperformance.com/Ford-9-Complete-Center-Section-Third-Member_p_36.html
Remember, RPM is your friend

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 07:32:33 PM »
I want to say from memory that the housing end to end length is 54 1/4" stock. Add 5 inches for axles(2 1/2" offset). The factory tubes are 3" necked down to 2 3/4" where the u bolts clamp around. I called up Strange and ordered a custom housing for mine since I plan on throwing more abuse at it. I told them I wanted 1" narrower(1/2" each side). They did already have the factory dimensions in a data base to reference and confirm my measurements.I checked pretty much every option box I could. I went with the universal perches and boxed them myself. I got their HD pro aluminum case and pinion support(3.25" bearing), 35 spline axles, spool, bearings, seals, etc. I am using a different ring and pinion. The nice thing about the HD pinion support is that it fits both small(28 spline) and large(35 spline) pinions. The factory axle tubes can be a weak point as well as the spring perches. I didn't buy the rear complete, cuz I wanted to build it myself.

I wouldn't recommend using the stock driveshaft for what you're intending. I had a custom driveshaft made for mine. I bought the Strange chromemoly weld on driveshaft ends and Spicer 1350 non-greaseable's. I had a local driveshaft place weld the ends on to some 3" tube they had and had them balance it. Wasn't very expensive. I am using a Sonnax billet slip yoke and a billet yoke on the 9" from Quick Performance.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

Dan859

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 01:26:13 AM »
Thanks  to both of you for your advice, looks like it'll be a new driveshaft.