Author Topic: Did you ever have one of those Weeks where....  (Read 2431 times)

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
Did you ever have one of those Weeks where....
« on: May 09, 2019, 12:29:44 PM »
It seems that everything I have been trying to pull together these last couple of weeks has been a conspiracy against me.  LOL  Here are a few pictures of what I mean.  You experienced anything like this lately?  I bought a cast iron intake for a Y block that I wanted to port and compare on a dyno test, this is what $100.00 buys you.  Next, I sent a pair of Y block heads for valve job, and this how they came back.  Finally, I ordered two sets of Comp Cams valve springs, and this is what was in the shipment.  The springs are supposed to be picked up today and exchanged.  Hopefully they will make it right.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Did you ever have one of those Weeks where....
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 01:04:10 PM »
Looks like that intake has already been pitted for you. Oh wait, you said ported:P

That valve job looks horrible. Is it even savable with that big cut in the throat?
And I don't think I'd be happy with used springs either. I'm curious where you ordered them from?
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Joe-JDC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 02:40:25 PM »
The valve job has a 90* throat cut at the 45* for 95% of the valve diameter.  I did not want to go to a larger intake valve, due to shrouding, but may have to now to try to restore some semblance of multi-angles.  The springs were from JEGS.  They have already picked the used springs up and are supposed to send me another NEW set.  I didn't get to look at the manifold until it was here at the shop, or I would have not bought it. Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

chris401

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 02:48:07 PM »
On my phone the photos look like they are showing a crack on the heater outlet and one from the port roof from the new guide.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 02:56:56 PM »
Welcome to my kind of life Joe  :(

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Joe-JDC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 03:09:39 PM »
On my phone the photos look like they are showing a crack on the heater outlet and one from the port roof from the new guide.
Thanks, I will check it out further.  Lots of time and money invested already to find a crack in either one.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

winr1

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 05:15:37 PM »
Hey Joe

There are a set of Fenton cast iron headers for sale

Guy wants $1465.00 for them, they worth that much ??

Ricky.

Joe-JDC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 05:27:55 PM »
No.  FPA makes a great header for the Y Block, and it made the most torque and horsepower of all headers we tested for the EMC build, including the Kaase 2016 EMC winning engine.  We actually tested them on Ted's winning EMC engine back to back, and my '55 T-bird FPAs made a better score.  FPAs with ceramic coating are still cheaper than those Fentons.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 11:13:46 AM »
Just - sympathy.  That's all I have that I can send you. 

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 12:45:54 PM »
I had no trouble finding that sort of parts back about 1960 when I was working with Y-blocks. At one point I had to go through three engines to find one that wasn't cracked somewhere. :o

KS

plovett

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 08:56:12 PM »
That's a "surface treatment" to keep the fuel in suspension!   Sorry, don't really mean to make fun your troubles. :)

paulie

plovett

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 09:08:04 PM »
Dang.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 09:12:37 PM by plovett »

Joe-JDC

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2019, 09:32:52 PM »
That's a "surface treatment" to keep the fuel in suspension!   Sorry, don't really mean to make fun your troubles. :)

paulie      The funny thing is that the rust is actually coming off easier than the original metal would have, and I may just be able to turn this sow's ear into a "silk purse".  Call it acid ported.  Joe-JDC

Joe-JDC '70GT-500

plovett

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2019, 09:34:30 PM »

paulie      The funny thing is that the rust is actually coming off easier than the original metal would have, and I may just be able to turn this sow's ear into a "silk purse".  Call it acid ported.  Joe-JDC

LOL!  I like your attitude, Joe.  :)