Author Topic: Pretty wet day at the FE Race and Reunion...  (Read 21668 times)

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
Re: Pretty wet day at the FE Race and Reunion...
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2019, 12:53:50 PM »
Looking for video of one of my runs....
  Despite the crappy weather I did enjoy going again this year. Met new  FE friends in our pit area!! If I don't get to say Hello it's because I'm just a quiet guy and listen more than talk. The video I'm looking for is in round one of Hot FE. I was running John Pregitzer with a baby blue 66 Fairlane hardtop. My car is the 67 White Fairlane 500 Hardtop plain jane no lettering #1053 on the window. I need to see what went wrong on that run. I have never been so crossed up in that car in the 20 years I've run it. I had to get out of it on at least 2 runs on Saturday. I know the wind was some of the issue but just would like to see what the heck happened. Appreciate any help or photo's.                                       JOHN

John,
I don't have video of that run, but I am sure something will surface once everyone gets their stuff posted somewhere. I remember the run and was surprised that you got the win light, only because your Fairlane was really dancing on that pass. Your car is impressive to watch on a normal pass with it picking up the front wheels on the gear changes, but that pass you are asking about was scary to watch.
"That guy has got a pocket full of money and a watch full of time!"   Hubert Platt.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2019, 01:11:52 PM »
Dennis,
If these are the dual 600's I built for that engine (I think that is the engine)
The trunnions are set up for medium riser linkage.
If you needed a spare trunnion I can ship it to you and help you figure out where and how to drill the hole, etc.
Obviously it'd be easier to just swap the linkage.

WerbyFord

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2019, 01:19:49 PM »
Dennis says his lowest time was 8.34 at 83.

It trapped the same speed pretty much whatever ET he ran.

Hi guys - I own the 67 Country Squire Wagon. As Brent stated - last Saturday my son and I decided to swap the original 390 out of the car and replace it with the motor Brent had built me last year. The swap fought us on nearly every angle and we finally finished it up on Thursday night. We drove the car about 10 miles and loaded it on the trailer to depart Friday am.

On the track it would either spin like crazy with a high rpm launch or was very lazy out of the hole. The motor definitely likes high rpm's and that heavy car didn't help things. We were running street tires with about 30 psi. Our times ranged from a 10.1 to an 8.3 with everything in between. We were not even paying attention really and were just having fun . It ran the best times when I would just let her go and try to feather the gas once it was moving to control wheel spin. We opted for a dial in of 9.20 as it seemed to be in the middle somewhere. We ended up breaking out of that # several times once we figured how to launch it.

Next year we will return with a different gear, slicks, and maybe a little more knowledge. It was great to meet people and even better that we didn't break anything .  My 17 year old son is still smiling ear to ear this morning and laughing about how our "old ugly wagon" ran. I will try to have him post a video of the last run in FE bird class.

Dennis / Towd:
Thanks for chiming in!
I had made that Gonkulator prediction based on my 64 wagon, 4450 curb all-iron, so I guessed your 67 wagon w aluminum top about 100 lb lighter at 4350 curb or 4550 lb down the track. Does that sound about right?

I remember from back in the day, our 63-64 Gals got a lot better traction than our 69 Gal even though weight was similar. Maybe the rear ends got lighter, or the leaf springs hooked better or something.

In any case, yours fully hooked on 28" slicks, 4.30 gears gonkulates to
8.15 at 84.2
12.83 at 104.4
That's with power steering, fan, and 3" mufflers. A 4.56 goes about 12.80 but makes it rougher on the freeway.

I didn't make FERR but hoping to see a youtube video soon to see all the cars fighting that wind.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2019, 01:20:51 PM »
Drew, this was a single carb engine.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Towd56

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2019, 01:37:37 PM »
Dennis says his lowest time was 8.34 at 83.

It trapped the same speed pretty much whatever ET he ran.

Hi guys - I own the 67 Country Squire Wagon. As Brent stated - last Saturday my son and I decided to swap the original 390 out of the car and replace it with the motor Brent had built me last year. The swap fought us on nearly every angle and we finally finished it up on Thursday night. We drove the car about 10 miles and loaded it on the trailer to depart Friday am.

On the track it would either spin like crazy with a high rpm launch or was very lazy out of the hole. The motor definitely likes high rpm's and that heavy car didn't help things. We were running street tires with about 30 psi. Our times ranged from a 10.1 to an 8.3 with everything in between. We were not even paying attention really and were just having fun . It ran the best times when I would just let her go and try to feather the gas once it was moving to control wheel spin. We opted for a dial in of 9.20 as it seemed to be in the middle somewhere. We ended up breaking out of that # several times once we figured how to launch it.

Next year we will return with a different gear, slicks, and maybe a little more knowledge. It was great to meet people and even better that we didn't break anything .  My 17 year old son is still smiling ear to ear this morning and laughing about how our "old ugly wagon" ran. I will try to have him post a video of the last run in FE bird class.

Dennis / Towd:
Thanks for chiming in!
I had made that Gonkulator prediction based on my 64 wagon, 4450 curb all-iron, so I guessed your 67 wagon w aluminum top about 100 lb lighter at 4350 curb or 4550 lb down the track. Does that sound about right?

I remember from back in the day, our 63-64 Gals got a lot better traction than our 69 Gal even though weight was similar. Maybe the rear ends got lighter, or the leaf springs hooked better or something.

In any case, yours fully hooked on 28" slicks, 4.30 gears gonkulates to
8.15 at 84.2
12.83 at 104.4
That's with power steering, fan, and 3" mufflers. A 4.56 goes about 12.80 but makes it rougher on the freeway.

I didn't make FERR but hoping to see a youtube video soon to see all the cars fighting that wind.

Werb,

Your dead on with the weight. It's a 9 passenger so its a little heavier than the average wagon due to the rear seats. Its about 4300lbs without a driver.  I should also mention that we could only get about 3/4's of the throttle to open due to a short cable. I will try to get the video posted.
thanks

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2019, 02:24:24 PM »

Ahhh very good, I didn't know if it was that tunnel wedge 2x4 engine you built awhile back.

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2019, 02:56:53 PM »
Looking for video of one of my runs....
  Despite the crappy weather I did enjoy going again this year. Met new  FE friends in our pit area!! If I don't get to say Hello it's because I'm just a quiet guy and listen more than talk. The video I'm looking for is in round one of Hot FE. I was running John Pregitzer with a baby blue 66 Fairlane hardtop. My car is the 67 White Fairlane 500 Hardtop plain jane no lettering #1053 on the window. I need to see what went wrong on that run. I have never been so crossed up in that car in the 20 years I've run it. I had to get out of it on at least 2 runs on Saturday. I know the wind was some of the issue but just would like to see what the heck happened. Appreciate any help or photo's.                                       JOHN
John- I have video of that run, looked rock solid and then just went away.  Great job on hanging on to the car.  I'm no techie but I'm sure I can email it to you.  Not set up to post anywhere- Len
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

John67427

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2019, 03:38:35 PM »
Hey Len, that would be great!!!
Email-  jjn38d@gmail.com

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2019, 04:04:11 PM »
I'll send now.  I've watched it several times, check the flags.  The wind was howling on this run.
Len Zielinski
'69 F100 300 stick

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2019, 04:50:26 PM »
Well, couldn't upload, hope some one else has the run.  Slow and stop motion shows daylight under the steers on the upshift long enough for the gale force winds to take effect.
Len Zielinski
'69 F100 300 stick

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2019, 05:07:32 PM »
Would love to see some pix of the Squire doin’ it’s thing.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2019, 07:42:52 AM »
John Nagoda, I have a video of that pass you are looking for. Car gets squirrelly quite far down the track. On many of your passes the wheels lift slightly after the third gear shift. The video does not show that but I was on opposite side of track for one pass and it was plainly seen. I mentioned in the pits that I often see that out of your car.
I doubt the video can be emailed. If you supply a cell number I will try that.
JB
Jim Wysocki
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 02:40:05 PM by 6667fan »
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.55@125.74 1.46 60’

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2019, 08:53:31 AM »
I was pitted next to Dennis and watched some runs, I think he could really benefit from a vac secondary carb instead of the double pumper.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2019, 10:05:39 AM »
I was pitted next to Dennis and watched some runs, I think he could really benefit from a vac secondary carb instead of the double pumper.

It may help slightly with the launch, but he was smoking the tires half way down the track, so I don't know how much of a difference it would make in the big picture.

He thought he was losing the clutch but it turned out he was just driving on ice. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

57 lima bean

« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2019, 02:43:50 PM »
Cobrajet2..........Very impressed with your wagon seeing a 7.09 dial and wheels up launch.