Author Topic: Merlin copy in 1:5 scale  (Read 4771 times)

Heo

• View Profile
Merlin copy in 1:5 scale
« on: April 23, 2019, 03:19:56 PM »
Dropped by the Machine shop today to See if my block was ready
It was ready and had been for a while.  Started to talk with the
guy about a locomotive he had in a glassbox i the shop.
It was a fully functional locomotive his father, that started the
machine shop, had built. Then he said, And i have a Merlin engine
he built also. I can go and get it if you want to have a look?
Does bears shit in the forrest????

Two stage drysump oilpump and generator

Starter

Home built distributors that didn't work so well to small so the sparks just jumped around inside so he run it
with glowplugs, working blower

The wife getting a lesson about the adjustable prop

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Merlin copy in 1:5 scale
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 04:02:07 PM »
That's pretty cool. Did he make the blower and prop? If so, that's some pretty amazing machining! Also....you didn't get any pictures of the locomotive? Was it steam or diesel/electric?
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 05:06:25 PM »
Yes he built all the stuff for the engine even the sparkplugs.  It is a steam locomotive,
A copy of a Swedish B- locomotiv.https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=A16drw7F&id=324F7C10F7101A032D232FEB756AB8BC515FBAF2&thid=OIP.A16drw7FYvVmSWYZ3-fALgHaFk&mediaurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.bjs-club.se%2fattachments%2fImage%2fB1037-steam5.jpg%3ftemplate%3dgeneric&exph=853&expw=1134&q=svenskt+b+lokomotiv&simid=608040232589068342&selectedIndex=5&qpvt=svenskt+b+lokomotiv&ajaxhist=0 No i was so excited about the merlin so i totaly forgot
to take pick of the locomotiv. But im going back in a few days to get the block
Then i take pics of it
He said in the old shop they had laid down tracks and run it around the shop on compressed air
Beacuse he had  planed to fire the steamboiler with a oilburner but he never completed the
oilburner
I heard rumors about the old man also built an jet engine i have to talk more with him about that
when i get the block
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 05:18:22 PM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 07:32:32 PM »
Wow - That is really cool!  I would love to hear that run.  It's amazing to see the stuff that turns up in these obscure places...
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 10:06:28 PM »
Amazing craftsmanship.

If shows the same attention to detail in his business as he goes his hobby, your block is in good hands.
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 02:44:04 AM »
I would love to hear it run to. He had a test stand for it with oiltank and
gauges and such and as i understand it was run quite a lot. He said it realy
moved some air. especialy with a bigger woden prop he has for it.
He said now when he is semi retired, he may have the time to give it a  go
throug and have it in running condition again
wounder what dyno number it would produce?

As far as i can tell he show same attention to his machine work...But hey
i almost feel im not worthy to controll meassuring his work after seing this :D
Its a pitty he is soon going to retire fulltime. Must try to talk him in to do
a flathead block for me before he close down

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 07:40:52 AM »
That scale stuff is amazing.  The engines are over the top.

Local engine show, I took pics of a fellow that built a running, scale Ford 302.  Very authentic looking in every detail.  Intake, fuel pump, etc.
I had seen his stuff on Youtube, but didn't realize he was kinda local.
Here is video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0HJjvyLj9E

He had also built a ford 9" rearend and a Tremec 5spd(both fully functional).  Go to his youtube homepage and look around.

I just marvel.
Larry

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 12:50:15 PM »
I have flown several WWII era fighters. Nothing sounds like a Packard-Merlin engine. They are very distinctive in nature.

-Keith

57 lima bean

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 02:11:52 PM »
Your wife is dressed appropriately for nothing to get done at the machine shop.The engine is cool too.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 05:13:53 PM »
I have flown several WWII era fighters. Nothing sounds like a Packard-Merlin engine. They are very distinctive in nature.

-Keith
Cool 8) I was  doing some welding at the  local sawmill when i started hearing
some strange engine sound. flipped up the welding helmet and looked around,
looked up and there i saw it. A Mustang in a dive straight abow me maybe 100
feet. Made the hair on my neck stand up he turned 90 degrees still in a dive
towards the river. I saw a black puff when he throtled up and took of upstreams the river
on a realy low atitude. What a sight and sound, the sun glistening in the polished
aluminium and the Merlin roaring. Yes it is a very distinctive sound, never forget it

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 05:41:51 PM »

-Keith

Umm, Keith, you can not make a statement like that, and NOT expand on it!! There are a very select few who can say that! I noticed the Air Force wings, and the aviation quote, but never asked you about it.

I'm a big vintage aviation buff. I've flown as a passenger on the Sentimental Journey and Diamond Lil (B-17 and B-24 respectively) and an early 30's open cockpit Waco. I would absolutely JUMP at the chance to fly in a fighter, but most are single seaters and I don't know of any others that actually give rides. I would love to hear more about the planes you've flown!
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

TripleJ

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 08:59:51 PM »

-Keith

Umm, Keith, you can not make a statement like that, and NOT expand on it!! There are a very select few who can say that! I noticed the Air Force wings, and the aviation quote, but never asked you about it.

I'm a big vintage aviation buff. I've flown as a passenger on the Sentimental Journey and Diamond Lil (B-17 and B-24 respectively) and an early 30's open cockpit Waco. I would absolutely JUMP at the chance to fly in a fighter, but most are single seaters and I don't know of any others that actually give rides. I would love to hear more about the planes you've flown!

The Collings Fountation gives rides in their P51D two seater trainer.

https://www.collingsfoundation.org/flight-experiences/

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2019, 11:57:00 PM »

-Keith

Umm, Keith, you can not make a statement like that, and NOT expand on it!!

Agreed!  I bet you have some great stories.  I had the privilege of flying aboard a B-25 several years ago over Malibu.  It was unforgettable!

In just about the same spot a couple of years later, I was all alone on my windsurf board having a great afternoon in 25 knot wind.  I started to hear that wonderful silk-tearing sound of a Merlin coming at me when suddenly I found myself blown off into the water.  I surfaced in time to see the tail end of a P-51 D ripping away at illegally low altitude  8) 8)
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2019, 08:28:12 AM »
Impressed with the build.  And the lady's hat - I'd wear that to the track. 

plovett

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 04:25:22 PM »

-Keith

That is cool!  The DB601 and DB605 sound the coolest to me.  I think you can hear the supercharger whine more because the air intake is so close to the supercharger.   I have only flown a Cessna 152, and only for about 30 minutes.  :)