Author Topic: Can FE Heads accept Pyrometers for EGT sensing?.... On Barrett Jacksons stage  (Read 2727 times)

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
the resident expert Hot Rod/Muscle Car Guru - Steve Magnante also of Hot Rod Magazine/Hot Rod TV remarked upon his inspecting a Cobra Jet MACH 1s engine bay that: "this is a serious engine here", because he went on to say: " I can see where the exhaust section of heads had plugs in them where they had the pyrometers from when they dyno tuned the motor".   One of those Unique FE things we all know but they don't.

Steve obviously did not realize that FORD drilled em as part of the Thermactor smog package. Regardless I know it's closer to the valve pocket then common primary header tube mounted probes but could the tops of the FEs exhaust passages be equiped with pyrometers w/o causing problems?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 10:07:46 PM by Qikbbstang »

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
I'll bet they could BB; I've never thought of that, but you can get very thin thermocouples that would probably to into the ports through the thermactor holes.  It would be interesting to see what temperatures got recorded there, relative to the temps normally recording a few inches down the header pipes...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Cyclone03

• View Profile
Forgetting what you could use them for...........

How could he not know about the thermactor tubes?
I love FE's but even I hated changing plugs on a Stock CJ Mustang! I even got PAID $50 to do it!
Lance H