Author Topic: Any Experience Towing With A 1965 Lincoln C3VP-7006-A Twin Range Transmission?  (Read 2232 times)

chris401

I picked up a running 65 430 engine and transmission today. If I refrain from pulling mobile homes or D9s would this be a stout transmission behind a 430 in an F-250 with 3.54 gears? Not real interested in an automatic pickup but it is supposed to be a good unit.
Thanks

Royce

• View Profile
That is an extra heavy duty version of the cruise o matic..  They were behind 427s in Thunderbolts, so yes they should be able to handle life in a 3/4 ton pickup.
1955 Thunderbird Competition Coupe Altered Chassis "War Bird" 383 Lincoln Y block 520 hp
1955 Thunderbird 292 275 hp Y Block
1956 Ford Victoria 292 Y block

1957 Mercury 2dr Wagon "Battle Wagon" drag car 
1957 Thunderbird Glass body Tube Chassis drag car 333 cu in 500 hp Ford Y block
1961 Starliner 390/375 clone
1965 GT40 tribute w/FE
1966 Falcon Pro Touring project
Kaase Boss 547. 840 HP 698 Torque  pump gas
1992 BMW V-12 5.0
2001 Lincoln 5.4 4 cam.
1968 Cougar XR7

chris401

That is an extra heavy duty version of the cruise o matic..  They were behind 427s in Thunderbolts, so yes they should be able to handle life in a 3/4 ton pickup.
Learned something new. It has that odd two spline output shaft. The regular FE C-O-M bell I have does not have that fifth top center bolt hole. I take it the FE bell housing for it is pretty rare?

FrozenMerc

• View Profile
Yep, Heavy Duty Cruis-O. If you are going to tow with it, make sure you have enough oil cooler to keep the temperature under control.  Otherwise it should be fairly bullet-proof.

A '65 Continental probably weighs about the same as your 3/4 Ton anyways, and I'll bet a box of doughnuts that the factory tow rating wasn't much different either.....

« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 01:02:02 PM by FrozenMerc »

chris401

Yep, Heavy Duty Cruis-O. If you are going to tow with it, make sure you have enough oil cooler to keep the temperature under control.  Otherwise it should be fairly bullet-proof.

A '65 Continental probably weighs about the same as your 3/4 Ton anyways, and I'll bet a box of doughnuts that the factory tow rating wasn't much different either.....

Your probably right. Truck weighs 48XX with the tool box. The transmission does have 6 shift lever positions. I would like it to start in first when in drive, anything I can do to make it shift normally?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 02:18:23 PM by chris401 »

FrozenMerc

• View Profile
Your six positions should be (P)ark - (R)everse - (N)uetral - D1 - D2 - L

D2 starts in 2nd gear, and D1 starts in first.  Both end up in 3rd - High range.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 01:01:58 PM by FrozenMerc »

chris401

Your six positions should be (P)ark - (R)everse - (N)uetral - D1 - D2 - L

D2 starts in 2nd gear, and D1 starts in first.  Both end up in 3rd - High range.
I would like to start in first when in Drive. From what I read it only starts in first when you put it in first unless your onto the throttle. Was that the earlier twin range or my model?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 04:35:33 PM by chris401 »

FrozenMerc

• View Profile
Your thinking of the earlier single range Ford-O-Matics.  I don't think a MEL backed Cruis-O was ever offered in a single range version, they were all dual range.  So buy putting it in D1, it will always start in 1st, irregardless of throttle position.

chris401

Your thinking of the earlier single range Ford-O-Matics.  I don't think a MEL backed Cruis-O was ever offered in a single range version, they were all dual range.  So buy putting it in D1, it will always start in 1st, irregardless of throttle position.
So this one shifts like a modern 3 speed in Drive under normal driving conditions, 1-2-3 without touching the shifter?

FrozenMerc

• View Profile
The short answer is YES.

The long answer digs into the weeds on how the transmission functions.  These transmissions combine a 3 element torque convertor and a hydraulically controlled 3 speed and reverse planetary gearset. Dual Range transmissions are equipped with a one-way clutch incorporated into the planet gear pinion carrier.  When in the D1 position, the engine torque is delivered to the front clutch.  The torque reaction of the one-way clutch causes it to lock up and hold the drum stationary, thus creating low or 1st gear.  At the 1-2 upshift, the front servo is engaged, and as soon as the front band picks up the reaction torque, the one-way clutch will start to free wheel and the transmission will be in 2nd gear.

chris401

The short answer is YES.

The long answer digs into the weeds on how the transmission functions.  These transmissions combine a 3 element torque convertor and a hydraulically controlled 3 speed and reverse planetary gearset. Dual Range transmissions are equipped with a one-way clutch incorporated into the planet gear pinion carrier.  When in the D1 position, the engine torque is delivered to the front clutch.  The torque reaction of the one-way clutch causes it to lock up and hold the drum stationary, thus creating low or 1st gear.  At the 1-2 upshift, the front servo is engaged, and as soon as the front band picks up the reaction torque, the one-way clutch will start to free wheel and the transmission will be in 2nd gear.
Thank you. My searches weren't getting anything on this particular model then I remembered my 1968 Motors Auto Repair Manual touched on transmissions. I do not remember any small rear mounted valve bodies so I don't think I have ever opened one of these up. I got a stash of kits and other parts from a man who restored Lincoln's. He gave me a couple of drums saying that was the weak link. Not sure if this is it or not.