Author Topic: Hydraulic Clutch setup on a Toploader?  (Read 1964 times)

1Bad500

• View Profile
Hydraulic Clutch setup on a Toploader?
« on: April 04, 2019, 07:56:06 PM »
I just ordered a rebuild kit for my Toploader and since this build is for a daily driver I wanted to have a more modern setup. Anyone do a hydraulic throw out bearing & clutch master on a 4 speed? If so, are you happy with it and how did you do it as I only see one kit available for a Galaxie? Anyone have this setup in a big Ford/Merc?  Thanks.
64 Galaxie 500 XL, 390 FE 4-Speed  Daily Driver

Heo

• View Profile
Re: Hydraulic Clutch setup on a Toploader?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 08:52:09 AM »
Not Hyd. throw out and not a big ford but done it
several times on various cars. I used Girling slave
and Master (Volvo Amazon) as it was what i had
laying around. Works fantastic

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

HTM101

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 12:59:30 PM »
I installed a McLeod HTOB a few years back against a big input Toploader.  The retailer stated it wouldn't leak.  I asked because I was aware of other owner complaints regarding leaks.  However, it did leak within 6 months of the installation.

I called McLeod and spoke with the engineer who designed that unit.  He told me to send him the unit and when he finished with a modification, he guaranteed me it wouldn't leak.  His guarantee sounded like the retailer's promise of no leak.  Anyway, during the conversation with the engineer I wanted to know what his fix would be and why he was able to offer the guarantee.  He explained they had recently replaced 2 of the 4 internal round O-rings with square O-rings.

So...I sent the HTOB to McLeod, they rebuilt it, and before I installed it, I took it apart to see the mods.  And yes sir, there were 2 square O-rings where there used to be round ones.  I had kept the round ones before I sent the unit to McLeod for rebuild.

End of story, this rebuilt HTOB has been working great for several years now.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 02:03:45 PM by HTM101 »

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 02:24:20 PM »
There will be lots of modifications to run one in an older car, including strengthening the firewall and modifying the clutch pedal.  There’s really no benefit to it.  It may be “modern” but IMO, on these older cars, the factory mechanical linkage works excellently.

In cars with narrow tunnels, you don’t have a choice.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 08:00:42 AM »
I wouldn't.   The factory Z bar is just fine. 

I know lots of people that are converting stuff to cable.  Typically in smaller cars, though not my choice of option.
Larry

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 10:32:48 AM »
Yes, if the Z-bar pivots are in good shape as is the clutch pedal pivot, no gain in my mind with a hydro unit. Save the bucks needed for those parts and sheet metal stiffening and buy some more go-fast parts!
Bob Maag

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 11:31:43 AM »
There will be lots of modifications to run one in an older car, including strengthening the firewall and modifying the clutch pedal.  There’s really no benefit to it.  It may be “modern” but IMO, on these older cars, the factory mechanical linkage works excellently.

In cars with narrow tunnels, you don’t have a choice.

On the cars i have done it is with Swaped engine and trans
or scratchbuilt chassies
so easier to build a hyd.setup than a mecanical
Modern i dont know....Amazon had it from 1956-70

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it