Author Topic: Tuning the Air/Fuel Ratio of a new 428, need some guru AFR advice.  (Read 11621 times)

drdano

• View Profile
Re: Tuning the Air/Fuel Ratio of a new 428, need some guru AFR advice.
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2012, 09:06:17 PM »
Wagon sounds great.. though I could not make out the numbers on the LM-2... what was it running at?

14.7-15 at <1/4 throttle.  I opened the secondaries for a moment at the end to 1/2 throttle and it jumped down to 12.5.

I'll fill the tank tomorrow and calc the mileage.  I'm pretty sure it got at least 10mpg on this trip and I was hot rodding it pretty well.

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 08:56:22 PM »
If you go on long enough drives i'd sure like to know what kind of gas mileageyou get with that Qjet.  My only experience with them was in a 1 ton CrewCab and it was a damn good carb.
Filled the tank tonight.  Speedometer reads off by 6.4%, so with that calculated into the mileage traveled divided by the gallons to fill the tank came in at 14.12mpg.  This was not being conservative with the throttle at all.  120 of the 185 miles on this tank fill-up were on the highway with lots of full throttle blasts and plenty of tomfoolery around town along with general tuning in the garage.  I'd expect on the open road at 65mph if I were to baby it I'd very easily get over 16mpg.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 09:03:39 PM by drdano »

Chad D

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 10:57:50 AM »
How do the plugs look?

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 04:10:48 PM »
I pulled a few after I got home from the trip and they looked good.  Porcelin is white, no chunks of any foreign material on them. Heat range on the electrode arm is halfway, so heat range is good.  7/8 smoke ring around the thread base.  Probably could be a smidge richer for a full smoke ring, but I've read 7/8 is acceptable as well.