Author Topic: 390 Strange Symptoms  (Read 5144 times)

440sixpack

• View Profile
390 Strange Symptoms
« on: March 28, 2019, 04:39:29 PM »
Helping a friend try to figure out what's going on with his 390.

It's a fresh rebuild with about 500 miles on it.  everything was done right as far as we know, new everything and a pretty stock build. flat tappet RV cam.  new Holley 600.  new control module.

Ever since t was fired up it's had a bit of a vibration, under acceleration it almost feels like a miss to me.   other than that it starts and runs just fine.

We rechecked the firing order and pulled all the plugs.  # 1 was black,  soot not oil.  #7 was white.  the rest look normal. 

Put new plugs in it and  nothing changed.  all plugs are getting good spark.

Any ideas? 

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: 390 Strange Symptoms
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 05:20:39 PM »
Pull the air/fuel mixture screws out. Use carb cleaner with one of those plastic nozzle extensions. Shoot into both holes. Re-install screws  backed out to the best idle speed.

Point is dirt/crap could be blocking the four bleed holes inside the primary side bores.
Bob Maag

440sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 05:46:21 PM »
It's a brand new Holley.   I suppose it could be defective but I'm sure it's clean.

I'm saying it's a miss, it could be something out of balance.   it's much worse on acceleration , the rest of the time you can feel it but you wouldn't notice it if you weren't paying attention.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 07:44:16 PM »
Swap on a known good Holley. Goal is to eliminate the obvious.
Bob Maag

440sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 09:52:34 PM »
Started out with an Edelbrock and it did the same thing.

fastf67

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 07:15:53 AM »
With number 1 plug black soot and number 7 white it will definitely cause a stumble. Number 1 (dry soot correct? not greasy at all?) sounds like a cylinder not lighting off completely and number 7 being white is the scary one with possible water entering cylinder or lack of fuel. If soot is greasy then you know the answer. I would start with the basics, check firing order then pull valve covers and distributor cap. Roll engine over watching valvetrain is moving correctly with firing order. If good, for #1 black soot, check for a weak spark. cap, rotor, wires, gap on plug, ect. Something is killing the spark, water or oil normally wont leave it a dry black soot. Hard to believe its getting more fuel then the other 3 cylinders assuming it is a dual plane intake if carb was way out of adjustment (balance). #7 white, water or lack of fuel? Ya, duel plane thing again. No white exhaust smoke? wipe finger in tailpipe? Still good? Bring piston to the top and use paper towel to check for possible water. if sure all is dry remove carb and check for obstruction (shop towel?) it's been done before. Would also be a good time to re-torque head and intake bolts also. Dual plane intake is cyl: 1,4,6 and 7 off one side of carb 2,3,5 and 8 on the other so thats why I dont think carb, one black one white on same side of intake?. Just what i would do before digging deep.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 08:03:52 AM »
Got a valve hanging open or a bent pushrod?  That'll make them shake like a wet dog.
Pull the rockers off & put some air pressure into each hole.
You can listen for it to whistle out the exhaust pipe - or into the intake at the carb.
And it gives you a chance to eyeball all the pushrods.

440sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 11:57:22 PM »
The black one is on the opposite side of the intake of the white one.

They're all getting spark, new wires new everything.  when you pull the wire off you can hear the idle slow on all cylinders. the power is not at all impressive from this engine, but it's not a hot rod build so maybe I'm expecting too much.

I suppose it could have a hanging valve.  but it sure doesn't pop through the carb or backfire. or make any odd noises. guides and valves are all new, which of course could be sticky.   we could  pull the covers and look though.

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 03:16:08 AM »
Did it get a new intake manifold?

I once had a costumer with a freshly built sbc 383, had a terrible miss. Went round and round trying to figure it out. It ended up being a chunk of the sand casting about 1 inch thick stuck in the intake manifold runner. It was well up in the port, couldn't see it from the carb side, and could barely see it from the head side if you held it just right. It was a brand new Edelbrock, and though its a long shot, or a no shot if he re-used a known good manifold, just goes to show what kind of weirdness an sometimes happen.

Have you done a compression check ?

440sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 08:28:11 AM »
No it's the same Edelbrock intake he had before.

The bent push rod idea has me going I think we'll pull the valve covers.  I assume the white plug would be most suspect ?

I bought a brand new '79 F-150 when I was 18 and  it bent a push rod when I test drove it.  they fixed it on warranty of course but about every 10,000 miles it would bend that push rod again.  I carried everything to fix it under the seat.  I never did figure out why it did it.  this rig is running a lot like it did with a bent push rod.

440sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2019, 10:15:52 AM »
Well it's not on the top end.  everything looks perfect .  we cranked it and checked all the travels and valve action and everything is perfect.

A black plug maybe I can understand.  a white one I can't.    there are some deposits on the electrode so it's not totally  clean.  this thing has me stumped.

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2019, 01:43:57 PM »
Compression test and or leakdown test.
Both are easy to accomplish.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2019, 02:35:33 PM »
Vaccum leak?

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2019, 02:56:12 PM »
I had a PI that had some internal problems after a repaired exhaust crossiver that did some weird things.  Never figured it out, swapped the intake and all acted normal

Could be a vacuum leak at the gasket, could be a crack or porous area somewhere.

I agree compression test wouldn't hurt.  Also, Mopar truck trick was to block all the vents and PCV and see if the engine builds vacuum at a valve cover at idle.  Doesn't always work but late 90's Mopar trucks would have a failed plenum gasket and you could find it that way
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2019, 03:22:02 PM »
i had a similar problem,mine was a bad intake seal-gasket,only affected one or two cylinders
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new