Author Topic: Does anyone have readable parts list and numbers for Jerico?  (Read 1660 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Does anyone have readable parts list and numbers for Jerico?
« on: March 25, 2019, 10:19:51 PM »
The picture on their website is horrible. I can't read parts names or numbers. It'd be nice to know what part to mention when inquiring about spares. Does anyone have a better picture or scan of a parts list for the DR4-4?

This is the only picture they offer...

Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Posi67

• View Profile
Re: Does anyone have readable parts list and numbers for Jerico?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 10:39:48 PM »
Normally a manual comes with the purchase of a new trans. My 1st one was kept by the guy I had it shipped to and the 2nd one the owner lost or tossed the manual so I got one from Jerico. I was buying over $1000.00 of parts and they wanted me to pay for the manual. In the same vein.. no free T-Shirts either but to your question, you can call them and see if they have anything for sale but be forewarned, it may be a poor photo copy of the original. Also, you mentioned a DR4-4 which is the newer version. Don't you have a DR4? As far as I know, non of the parts are interchangeable.

I can try to scan and post my manual but it's unlikely to be any better than what you have. Worth a try I suppose.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 10:44:51 PM by Posi67 »

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 11:57:16 PM »
I had the option of a DR4 or the DR4-4 version, and went with the newer -4. It's in pretty good shape.

I also got some spare gears/parts with it and am trying to figure out exactly what is what. Figured out my 1st ratio is 3.19, which I'm happy with, but I can't count the teeth on the cluster to determine the others. The spare gears have part numbers on them, but without a reference chart, they might as well be Greek. I've been putting off calling Jerico to try and get something, but I suppose I'm gonna have to bite the bullet. Hopefully it'll be something legible.

Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 12:32:05 PM »
That's cool and you got a good assortment of spare pieces. Scott at Jerico was the go to guy and very helpful but I don't know if he's still there. They "should' be able to provide you with a good manual though and usually if you give them the trans serial number they can tell everything about that transmission. They kept a record of everyone built so unless the trans was rebuilt or changed internally it's helpful info to have. Send them an email?

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 02:11:19 PM »
I'll contact them with the info and keep my fingers crossed. What I've gathered by looking at the design, is that the dog rings on 2&4 can be flipped to work on 3 (and vice versa) to get double the life out of them, since the 'drive' side is opposite.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 02:23:41 PM »
The main case looks like aluminum, with a magnesium tailhousing, so I assume is is a toploader only case? Both of my Jericos have magnesium cases, with upper and lower covers, but I think the aluminum cases were only available with just the top cover. I think the DR4-4 versions only came with the aluminum top cover case, which you would think should be stronger, having only one opening. If you are going to use factory mechanical clutch linkage, I imagine you will need to obtain a stock type, longer front bearing retainer to replace that cut down retainer, so you can use a conventional throw out bearing. Both of my Jericos have 3.19 low gears, and I really like that, gives more starting line ratio without needing to run so much rearend gearing, and possibly revving to much at the finish line, plus you can get a good launch without having to rev so high when dumping the clutch. It does make the drop between gears a bit steeper, but both my FEs and the 331 small block don`t seem to mind the drops that much. Should work really well for you, and likely at least 20 -30 pounds less than the Toploader. I am sure you will love it. Nice score. By the way, I still have my Jerico manual and parts guide, but since you have a 4-4, I doubt any part numbers cross over from my older paperwork. You should just contact Jerico and get the newer relevant information. You may also want to ask what trans fluid you should use. On mine, I use the Redline "Shockproof" gear oil, which is supposed to provide some cushioning between the teeth, and really clings to the pieces. Just don`t spill it on asphalt or concrete! A racing buddy used some regular gear oil in his new G Force G101A, and break some gears twice early on, once he switched to the shockproof oil, never had any more issues.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 03:25:55 PM »
Rory, thanks for the input. It is the top load only case, with a magnesium tail and top cover. And yes, it is considerably lighter than any factory toploader, which I really really like considering I'll have to put it in by myself! And you nailed the reason for why I liked the 3.19 1st. I've had issues with my launch, either bogging the car or blowing the tires off, and while I don't think this will be a cure-all, I think it will really help me move in the right direction in getting the car off the line.

I was hoping that the stock bearing retainer would work in place of the cut down version that's on it. They look to be the same dimensions. This set-up had a hydraulic TOB on it, but I'll be keeping the factory type linkage. It looked to have a red synthetic fluid in it, and I was going to research what would be best to use, so thanks for that input. Saves me some work..lol  Although I wonder how well that stuff would hold up to some street use. At some point, I'm hoping to talk to some stick shift Drag Week guys to see what they have found out concerning fluids with street use.

You can see in the picture that the shift rods are at the end of their adjustment with what I think is the best adjustment for the shifter. I have already made new shift rods to correct that. At least I think I'm correcting it. Guess I'll find out when I install it.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 05:54:03 PM »
Good plan to install longer shifter rods. It looks like those rods were meant to be used with the shifter 1 or 2 spots ahead. Thats the nice thing about the Jerico, that long row of threaded holes in the tailhousing allows you to put the shifter where you want it. On my new (to me) G Force, there is only one shifter mounting location on the tailhousing, so for a different shifter position, you need to buy or fabricate a new mounting plate as well as different rods. Hopefully one of the 2 plates I got with the transmission will put the shifter in the right spot. As for your front bearing retainer, you may get lucky, but I know my 2 Jericos take different retainers, as the later version has a larger front bearing than the earlier version. The bolt pattern looks the same, but the machined recess for the bearing is different. But being a 4-4 model, Jerico should have everything you should need available. It also looks like your input has the longer tip for the pilot , like a non FE style, but so did mine, and it fit fine. Good idea to check to make sure.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH