Author Topic: 67 Mustang with headers and power steering  (Read 4195 times)

Leny Mason

• View Profile
67 Mustang with headers and power steering
« on: March 21, 2019, 09:28:27 PM »
We put a 428 in a 67 Mustang with power steering and headers, now that is a joke what the header Company's want you to do to mount the cylinder to the frame, a engineering marvel Has anyone else ran into this. Leny Mason

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: 67 Mustang with headers and power steering
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 10:39:49 PM »
If you're talking about the lowering bracket that comes off the frame rail, that's a given on Mustangs with headers and power steering. Hooker has always had a side-note that said "MUST be used with power steering lowering bracket". Not sure about the other header makers, but I'd imagine it'd have to be used with pretty much all of them (long tube anyway).
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 07:19:28 AM »
It just seems like a poor fix these are used headers and no bracket, I guess if it was easy everyone would be doing it. Leny Mason

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 08:33:02 AM »
Leny, the brackets always had to be purchased separately. I have one that I don't need, if you want it. Only problem is I need to find it..lol  If you're not in a huge hurry, give me this weekend and I'll see if I can find it.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 09:15:20 AM »
Leny, Autokrafters has them: https://www.autokrafters.com/p-9327-power-steering-cylinder-drop-bracket.aspx?keyword=power%20steering%20cylinder%20bracket

The bracket drops the cylinder attachment to the frame rail about 1 inch.  I think you should check first to see if this will help with cylinder clearance with the headers you have.  If so, the bracket is not expensive and is well made. 
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 11:19:06 AM »
Leny, the brackets always had to be purchased separately. I have one that I don't need, if you want it. Only problem is I need to find it..lol  If you're not in a huge hurry, give me this weekend and I'll see if I can find it.

Same - IIRC on the other Mustang it was welded to the frame on the driver's side rail.  On the 70 I ripped all the PS junk off the car.  So no issues with the Hookers. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 08:51:46 AM by Falcon67 »

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 04:09:35 PM »
Part of the reason I think power steering is "the Devil's work". You only need that lowering bracket tearing the rivnuts out of the frame and breaking the end of the ram off four hours away from home once.
 That and no feel of the road.
 I say if you can't drive with MANual steering... get a chauffeur.

FElony

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 04:26:15 PM »

No no issues with the Hookers.

When dealing with the Hookers, I like to keep my no-no's on the lo-lo so the po-po don't sho-sho at my doe-doe.

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 07:37:56 AM »
Cj shaker thanks that would be nice if you can find it, it is for a customer's car I do not think He can afford a chauffeur to drive Him around but thanks, No I just think it is a patch job but it is real tight were the headers go My bad. Leny Mason

Dan859

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 08:24:00 AM »

When dealing with the Hookers, I like to keep my no-no's on the lo-lo so the po-po don't sho-sho at my doe-doe.

Well, that just cracked me up ;D.  I'm sure there's some stories there somewhere ;)

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 08:59:12 AM »
Like Tom P said, that bracket might tear off.  Especially if the car is lowered.  You might be able to shorten the bracket some or shim a stock bracket.  The 62-65 Fairlane bracket adds ~3/8" over the Mustang bracket.

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2019, 03:44:30 PM »
Like Tom P said, that bracket might tear off.  Especially if the car is lowered.  You might be able to shorten the bracket some or shim a stock bracket.  The 62-65 Fairlane bracket adds ~3/8" over the Mustang bracket.

It might.  The instructions for the bracket say to weld it to the frame rail.

machyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 10:10:09 PM »
I welded the "rivnuts" in to hold the bracket. When I tried to remove the ps from the car it ruined the driving experience for me. Long live power steering! Ha!

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 08:54:15 AM »

LOL.  I should say no issues - other than cutting an ear off a small bell C4 bellhousing and having to drop the idler arm, et al, to get the passenger side in.  My wife has/had no problems driving the car with the PS box and no power junk on the car.  Had means chassis is for sale right now. 

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 06:28:58 PM »
Had a car once that the previous owner had that aftermarket bracket installed - that is it was installed but the car had a big hole in the sub frame where the bracket used to be.