Author Topic: Gear Vendor in 60-64 Galaxie - Toploader Question  (Read 1453 times)

mbrunson427

• View Profile
Gear Vendor in 60-64 Galaxie - Toploader Question
« on: March 14, 2019, 10:57:12 AM »
Take a look at the attached picture. We received this from David Kee this morning. Apparently the shifter position is rotated on the case. Not sure if previous generations were like this because David seemed somewhat surprised in his email that they did this.

I believe we can modify the shifter handle to account for it, but I'm wondering if anyone else has been through this. I'd like to see/hear what you did to make it work.

If we manipulate the shifter handle right at the base and offset it, do you think it will affect how it shifts? Might be a little weird?
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Gear Vendor in 60-64 Galaxie - Toploader Question
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 07:30:29 AM »
My GV tailhousing is different; it has an entire row of drilled/tapped holes across the top and bottom. Yours seems to only have a few. But that's not the issue. Can't you just drill and tap the mounting bracket to put it at the right angle?
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 08:41:41 AM »
See if that's the correct mounting plate first , if so then redrill like Doug mentioned

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 08:42:00 AM »
Talked with David a bit more yesterday. He decided he's going to mill the housing and tap a new hole. If you put the shifter straight up and down the body of the tailhousing interferes. It's going to get milled far enough that the interference goes away.

Doug, I believe yours is a different tailhousing, this is their solution for a Galaxie (yours is for your Mustang right?).

Hopefully this helps some people out that run into this in the future. I'm glad David caught it before sending us all the stuff. Kudo's to him for his service and giving a damn.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 04:33:33 PM »
Yes, mines for a Mustang, but I thought toploaders only have a couple basic mount patterns, forward and rear. The Galaxie is shorter if I recall correctly? Don't see why they wouldn't do the same on it.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 04:35:08 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe