Author Topic: G-Tech  (Read 3774 times)

Thumperbird

• View Profile
G-Tech
« on: March 12, 2019, 07:02:39 AM »
Looking to get some sort of data acquisition so I can more objectively evaluate my cars performance before and after mods.  On line reviews for the G-Tech RR are mediocre so just not sure about that tool, any recommendations from you guys?  Looking to keep cost under $500.
Thanks.   

chilly460

• View Profile
Re: G-Tech
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 08:47:56 AM »
My family bought me one back around the time they were introduced, 2003 or so.  I'd save your money, the one I used wasn't repeatable, or credible. 

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 09:54:21 AM »
I bought a used RR and have ran it at the drag strip.  It was pretty on-par with the track timing.  The MPH display was most useful for me while racing at the salt flats so I could see accurately what my actual speed was vs what the dancing buried speedo was displaying. 

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 10:41:03 AM »
Mine works fine , sometimes it was tough at first getting everything entered in correctly  and the unit ready before you take off :) while watching the rear view mirror for cars coming ..lol

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 10:46:04 AM »
My son bought a used one cheap and we tested it with
the wifes then 500 SEC. Only car that we was sure
of the actual horsepower on and it was quite accurate
a few hp up or down i dont remember
My Then DD Volvo Amazon with totaly worn out
engine developed 38 hp (68 new) ;D. 1/4 mile around 30 sec
That sent the oilfiller cap flying

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

FElony

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 12:14:26 PM »
Also look in this direction to see if anything interests you:  https://www.google.com/search?q=acceleration+app+for+phone&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 12:59:03 PM »
Nowadays, our cell phones have just as good, or better, accelerators in them as the original G-Tech's did. Start with a 10 dollar cell phone app and see what you think before dropping more dough on one.

I have an original G-Tech and didn't have good luck with it. Called them and they blamed it on poor mounting.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

rcodecj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 01:17:04 PM »
I have one of the earlier G-tech's and it was right on the money with dragstrip times.

FElony

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 02:26:04 PM »
I have one of the earlier G-tech's and it was right on the money with dragstrip times.

Someone here (maybe Mr. Werby?) mentioned a while back that the early G-Techs used built-in accelerometers, which were more accurate than the later GPS-type units. I have one of the early ones still in the box, but I have yet to put it to use. I forgot the model designation.

rcodecj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 04:01:03 PM »

Someone here (maybe Mr. Werby?) mentioned a while back that the early G-Techs used built-in accelerometers, which were more accurate than the later GPS-type units. I have one of the early ones still in the box, but I have yet to put it to use. I forgot the model designation.

Mine has the built-in acelerometer.

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 05:25:20 PM »
Funny thing.  We did the engineering on the housings for the early GTech.  Yes, those had a good quality on-board accelerometer.  I can't answer too much else about the electronics because at the time they had an in-house engineer doing that.

That was 20 years ago.  Sheesh!  I bought my Haas CNC from Jovo, the owner of Tesla Electronics (GTech).   That machine was used to make the U.S. production molds for the GTech, after he brought production back from Asia.

I didn't think people were still using those!  BTW Jovo had the Tesla Electronics name more than a decade before Elon Musk came on the scene.

- Bill
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

plovett

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 09:54:39 PM »
I believe there were two versions of the old G-Tech.  There was a base model and one with extra features for road racing.  It might have been the RR.   I have the SS.  It was cheaper.

paulie

plovett

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 11:22:35 PM »
I didn't think people were still using those! 

I am still using mine.  I didn't realize how much of an anachronism it was.  :)

paulie

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 06:49:33 AM »
Heo, I wonder how my 74 Honda CB 200 (17 hp) would do against your 38 hp?
Would be like two over 70 guys running the 100 meter dash!

I tried a couple phone apps, not impressed so far, they do not seem to have satisfactory update/data collection rates, maybe my new S8 will be better.

Sounds like not much out there other than G-Tech unless I wanted to get into a full laptop collection system?

Thanks.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 08:19:29 AM »
I have a Vericom VC-200.  I bought it decades ago when they first came out.  It was like $500?  Still have it, used it a couple years ago playing with my 2 dr on some back roads.

I've wanted to mount it in the wagon and see how it compares.

Larry