Author Topic: Question about Broader Performance Transmissions  (Read 2846 times)

Gregg

• View Profile
Question about Broader Performance Transmissions
« on: March 11, 2019, 10:59:49 AM »
I need to replace (not rebuild) the transmission in my 64 Galaxie and I am looking at the wide ratio C6.  My thinking is that with a heavy car and 3.00 rear gear the wide ratio would give me a better feel from a red light/stop sign.  I am wondering if the Broader transmission would be overkill behind my mild 390.  I purchased the 390 from Randy Millard and I'm very happy with the engine.  Here are the specs:

Block assy:
D3TE mirror 105 @ .030 over, true flattop cast pistons w/9cc eyebrows (calculated c.r. of true 9:1 - reg fuel friendly), 2UA crank at std/std, C7AE rods fully reconditioned using ARP bolts, Cloyes double roller timing set, Melling M57 oil pump, Melling MTF-4 dual pattern cam (.486/.510, 204/214), OE "bull nose" Galaxie oil pan, late (1-1/8" thick) harmonic balancer.

Heads:
Fresh C4AEG units with new 2.03/1.55 valves, hardened exh seats, premium manganese bronze guides, viton positive oil seals.  Spring pressures are 95 @ seat, 270 open.  Chambers cc'd at 75.  Stock rockers with new SealedPower shafts.

Induction:
C4SE iron intake with OE PCV system, freshly rebuilt 1.12 C5 4100 4bbl carb.  Decent Thunderbird v/covers.

Ignition:
C4AF-N (police interceptor) distributor, NOS Autolite points and condenser, new black cap and black Packard wires, new Autolite 45 plugs.

Exhaust:
Shorty style headers with 2.5" pipes and flowmasters.

This is just a nice weather day cruiser.

Thanks for any input.
Gregg

e philpott

• View Profile
Re: Question about Broader Performance Transmissions
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 01:32:20 PM »
I trhink it would be a nice combo with your gear , I never looked at over built as a problem but under built will sure cost you

plovett

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 05:41:11 AM »
I think it is overkill.  If I read right on the Broaderperformance website, you are looking at the transmission that costs $1560?

No problem with that if you don't mind spending the money.  I have a Broaderperformance C6 in my Cougar and I love it.  But, I think you could build something that works well for your combination for a lot less.  I am not a tranny guy (shut up Felony!), but I would guess you could get a good wide ratio C6 built up for $1000 or less.

JMO,

paulie

edit:  it looks like the $1560 is for the stock ratio tranny?  So about $250 more?  Maybe they have cheaper build options that are not shown on the website?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 05:43:40 AM by plovett »

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 11:00:44 AM »
Looks like Jegs going rate is 1200.00 to 1500.00 with no converter , Broader's I'm sure is better

FElony

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 12:25:48 PM »
...  I am not a tranny guy (shut up Felony!),

JMO,

paulie

Hark! I've sustained a preemptive strike! Drat.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 01:38:55 PM »
Have you looked at a distributor recurve or potentially a converter swap?

That cam is mild, but has a late ICL and big advertised numbers.  Having the right ignition curve could be a dramatic change.  I am not as hot on the converter idea, but it can help pre-stall torque too.

Also, you may want to talk to Tommy-T on the low gear ratio set, if I remember correctly he didn't like it. Broader is a good company though.  Avoid Monster Transmissions, their quality is hit or miss, can't comment on any other
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Gregg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 04:49:26 PM »
Already been thinking of sending one of my distributors to Faron for a re-curve.

WerbyFord

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 10:45:31 PM »
Just about any C-6 from a running car with fresh fluid will stand up to that, they are pretty rugged.
If you DO go the big bucks route, I suspect the wide ratio would help, with those tall 3.00 gears & given that the early Gal gets good enough traction that the difference wont just be tire smoke.
You wont need more converter with that little cam.

You do know you have to flip the trans crossmember backwards & re-weld the e-brake bracket or do some other fancy thing if you replace the old MX trans with a C-6? Other than that it's a bolt-in swap.

OH, and the kickdown. I use the stock 64 rat-trap with the stock MX solid kickdown rod. Then just cut a short piece of bracket with 2 holes in it, 1 hole over the MX rod, the other hole over the C-6 kickdown lever. Of course that creates a "knee" joint but it works anyway. With a little adjusting that works fine.

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 12:58:46 AM »
The wide ratio gearset would probably work well with 3.00 gears. It'll be like having a Powerglide with overdrive.

The complaint I had with it was the spread between 2nd and 3rd is VERY wide. When my Mustang was normally aspirated it just seemed to drop too many rpm when going into 3rd. If I had a higher stall speed converter it probably would have been ok.

Once I had a blown stroker 427 I started to like it more as the torque of the motor made it pull harder in high. I actually switched to 3.70's in the rear from 4.11's because it felt the higher gears made it accelerate even faster.

Boost is wonderful.

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 06:43:23 AM »
I have a wide ratio from Broader, solid trans., rear is 3.5 with 27 inch tires, heavy car.
For me the top end seems fine, 2 to 3 is only .1 wider than stock I believe but 1 to 2 is .3 more wide and that you do notice but if I'm up in the RPM's anyways it seems to be fine and quite frankly not really noticeable on a cruising shift.

With 3.0 I would take all the gear you can get assuming it hooks up well. 

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 08:44:03 AM »
Hi, I have a wide gear set in my C6 for my Blown Comet but I have not bought a converter yet my gears are 325 and 33 inch tires, I don't  know much about converters, do the smaller ones heat up more I am planning on driving it on the high way so I don't want it to heat up to much, I was thinking about 3200 stall thanks for the input. Leny Mason

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 10:51:37 AM »
So we are talking two different animals here, mine is heavy, 4500 pounds.
The 10.25 inch converter that came with the trans was about a 3100 stall and ran hot.
Currently having a 12 inch done max stall possible, hoping for 2600 or so.
As others have stated on the site, may need to pony up for a ~$1k converter to get something solid and cool at 3000+ stall but since you are fairly light may not be an issue.

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 11:17:54 AM »
I have two C-6s with wide ratio gear sets, and I raced my Mach I with 427 FE and wide ratio.  Found it wanted less gear for sure in final drive.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500