Author Topic: BBM block prep  (Read 1557 times)

fekbmax

• View Profile
BBM block prep
« on: February 18, 2019, 01:34:02 PM »
How close are the BBM blocks ready to use? Typically What kind of prep does these blocks need before they can be used ?
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: BBM block prep
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 01:57:26 PM »
They are no different than any other aftermarket block.  They will at least need the cylinders honed, if not bored and honed, the mains align honed, and the decks squared up correctly.   As with any aftermarket FE block, I would advise a pressure test first before machine work, and to look for drill-throughs.  On the BBM block, a common place for drill-throughs is the top left oil filter adapter hole.  It can sometimes intersect the main oil galley. 

In addition to that, any oil hole blending on the oil pump mount, etc. needs to be done. 

The lifter bores should be on size, but I generally like to run a lifter bore hone through them. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 10:16:17 PM »
Thanks a bunch Brent.
Sounds like I need to treat it just like any used swap meet, junkyard, garage sale block I'd pick up. Totally get the fact everything needs to be checked as far as water and oil passage and pressure testing. Of course finishing the bore to preferred specs.  Kinda sucks though that a brand new block has to be square decked  and align honed, I'd think if nothing else those two things would be done.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 05:46:52 AM »
Thanks a bunch Brent.
Sounds like I need to treat it just like any used swap meet, junkyard, garage sale block I'd pick up. Totally get the fact everything needs to be checked as far as water and oil passage and pressure testing. Of course finishing the bore to preferred specs.  Kinda sucks though that a brand new block has to be square decked  and align honed, I'd think if nothing else those two things would be done.

They simply don't have the time to do that on a high production volume.  A BHJ setup on a block takes a good bit of time, by the time you loosen the front and rear mains, slide the shaft and collars on, tighten the mains, put the cam bar in, tighten it up, put the front plate on, take a measurement, put it in the machine, get it level, etc.  Even Dart SBF blocks that are sold on a much higher volume need to be touched everywhere. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports