Author Topic: Turning Galaxie front drums  (Read 1921 times)

CDXXVII

• View Profile
Turning Galaxie front drums
« on: February 13, 2019, 06:04:03 PM »
No upgrade. Just servicing factory stuff.
I know most don't turn drums anymore....
Can somebody remind me, to turn (machine) Galaxie front drums (with hub) on a brake lathe, do the wheel bearings (inner, inner and outer) stay installed to fit the lathe?
Been too many years...

C8OZ

• View Profile
Re: Turning Galaxie front drums
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 07:21:06 PM »
Just leave the outer races pressed in.
Pull the seal to keep it from getting full of shavings, and use the bell-shaped cones (not the straight ones) on the lathe.

Edit to add: Cones on both sides, snugged up...no cup, spring, etc.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 11:22:41 PM by C8OZ »

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 11:11:38 PM »
I always remove both the inner and outer bearings, which requires pulling the inner seal to remove the inner bearing. The tapered cones need to fit the inner & outer races to hold the drum hub in place properly. Be sure to remove any old grease and lathe cuttings from inside the hub afterwards. I always repack the wheel bearings and install new grease seals after machining. To me the low cost of the seals and grease make it a no brainer to do so. Hopefully you can find a shop that still has the required components for their brake lathe, and somebody old enough to know how to machine a brake drum with an integral hub!
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 09:36:06 AM »
I went back to turning rotors and drums if they are original equipment. Aftermarket ones are just shit anymore, Seems they like to de-laminate & really like to rust.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 09:42:19 AM »
All the machines have collars that will match the races.  Pull seals and bearing out, leave races, clean the grease up as much as you can to save the guy turning the drum clean up time as he puts the shaft through your greasy hub, and it will work perfectly
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 01:31:15 PM »
All good advice above. One thing I'd like to point out regarding turning drums: If your current drums can be lightly cut from standard size and clean up fine but if the drums have already been cut and are at or close to the limit then replacement is your only option. If they clean up at the max. allowable cut then you'll need to have the shoes arced to fit the new I.D. of the drums and I know of no shop that arcs shoes anymore due to the hazardous dust created by the grinding. But then again I live in Calif. where just about everything is hazardous to your health.  BTW, I have new drums lightly turned just as a precaution to assure they are really round, don't laugh..I had a drum that was most likely dropped on it's edge and was about .060" out of round...Made for one hellofa vibration when I got on the brakes.

CDXXVII

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 06:31:22 PM »
I like what I'm hearing. Thanks for the help clearing out the cobwebs!