Author Topic: Does anyone know of a source for....  (Read 4013 times)

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Does anyone know of a source for....
« on: February 13, 2019, 06:29:55 AM »
....new, vintage-looking centrifugal superchargers?  Got a build coming up and I’m having trouble locating a source for something that looks like it’s from the 60’s.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Pentroof

• View Profile
Re: Does anyone know of a source for....
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 08:24:13 AM »
This one isn't period correct,
http://www.torqstorm.com/kits_single_big-block-ford-FE.html

But they do make one that is "vintage", but only listed for flathead. Thinking it may be too small.
http://www.torqstorm.com/kits_vintage.html

I would start with a known performer and then play with the finish and hardware for the look.
Jim

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 08:29:04 AM »
Paradise Wheels took over making the original ‘60’s style Paxtons that were used on Shelbys, along with repairs & parts. Check out the website:

www.paradisewheels.biz
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 08:44:24 AM »
The challenge with the v-belt stuff, especially single, is building enough boost. Even the serpentines can slip badly at higher boost.  I think the best you will generally see with a v belt is about 6-8 lbs if the belt is zonked tight. If you can talk him into a more modern intercooled and toothed belt it will make more. However if he wants it for style and a good kick in the pants, the Shelby copy stuff is real pretty in a period correct car
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 09:32:43 AM »
Paradise Wheels took over making the original ‘60’s style Paxtons that were used on Shelbys, along with repairs & parts. Check out the website:

www.paradisewheels.biz

Thanks Kevin, exactly what I was looking for. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 12:14:44 PM »
What size engine?
Those Paradise blowers are sized for 289's (and 302's).

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 12:59:12 PM »
What size engine?
Those Paradise blowers are sized for 289's (and 302's).

Have already spoken to them, will need a twin setup for this 427.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

Dan859

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 01:15:51 PM »
Have already spoken to them, will need a twin setup for this 427.
.  Didn't Bill Cosby do a routine about Carroll Shelby building a twin turbo 427 Cobra for him?  Something about 200 MPH?  It's good to have goals in life  ;D

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 01:27:05 PM »
Two blowers feeding through an Edelbrock crossram, with an FMX auto trans...under a monster bubble hood.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 01:48:50 PM by Dumpling »

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 01:58:43 PM »
Larry

BH107

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 07:12:47 PM »
There were no vintage centrifugals big enough for a FE. But if you do go with the old Paxton’s Craig is great to work with and knows his stuff. Aside from the Paxton business he restores and races vintage trans am and stock cars and they really push them.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 12:06:52 AM »
The challenge with the v-belt stuff, especially single, is building enough boost. Even the serpentines can slip badly at higher boost.  I think the best you will generally see with a v belt is about 6-8 lbs if the belt is zonked tight. If you can talk him into a more modern intercooled and toothed belt it will make more. However if he wants it for style and a good kick in the pants, the Shelby copy stuff is real pretty in a period correct car

Back in the early '60s, I bought a Paxton for my '54 Customline/312. I next bought a '64 Custom/427 and a bit more than a year later I traded it for a '65 1/2 Mustang to which I added most of the Shelby mods. I transferred the Paxton to it. It was an unusual model---looking rather like a Mopar alternator that had been 'squashed' so that it was larger around but only about 7-8 inches from front to back. It had fins both front and back radially and the boost control pad on the front, ordinarily holding a mechanism that used oil pressure to regulate boost in the usual set-up was simply left unmachined. The housing was made of magnesium and the impeller visible inside the inlet side had more vanes and were of different shape.

I ordered a boost gauge from Gratiot Auto Supply, but it never did come in. However, blow-through set-ups require a boost reference to the fuel pump so that the Holley in the box gets the four pounds-or-so that's ordinarily necessary, and also an increase in pressure so as to make sure the fuel continues to flow under boost. A hose runs from the box to the back side of the diaphragm in the mechanical fuel pump to supply the addition.

When the blower went into boost mode, you could see the pressure rise in the 20 pound fuel gauge. Since I was pegging the fuel pressure at just beyond 3000 RPM, I always thought I was getting at least 16 pounds of boost---and probably more since it was common to turn the '306' HP 289 to 6500. I can tell you that a 396 chevy 2 at a nominal 375 (really 425) HP was easy meat. (My car weighed 2880 with the removal of the back seat and the addition of the 'glas back deck. I also used a 3.50 gear in the back and could use 1st gear at a roll-point where other cars were already needing to be in second.)

The drive belt was a very wide 'V', likely over an inch wide. I was told that the Paxton was something used in some of the competition 'blower' '57 T-birds. A pair of them, if you could find them, would be period correct and easily feed a nice-sized FE engine.

KS

BH107

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 09:22:34 PM »
I have an old friend who had a pair of those Paxton/McCulloch superchargers on a 312 in a 57 T-Bird in 1962. It was quite the custom setup he put together and it really moved the bird around. After about 10 years the engine was getting s little tired so he pulled it and dropped a new Cammer in its place. The old 312 sat in the corner of his garage for the next 40 years and still is around today.

Kevin66

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 04:00:20 AM »
"Didn't Bill Cosby do a routine about Carroll Shelby building a twin turbo 427 Cobra for him?  Something about 200 MPH?"  It's good to have goals in life  ;D

Bill Cosby to Carroll Shelby, after running into him in a grocery store): "I need you to build me a car that will go 200 MPH"
Carroll Shelby): "Why do you need a car that will go 200 MPH?"
Bill Cosby): To drive to work."
Carroll Shelby: "Where can you drive 200 MPH on the way to work?"
Bill Cosby: "Any side street!
"In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they are not!"