Author Topic: Tig welders  (Read 3239 times)

fekbmax

• View Profile
Tig welders
« on: February 12, 2019, 10:35:52 PM »
Any thoughts on a good AC/DC 200 Amp tig welder under $1000.oo ?
My home shop mind you so I can deal with a lower duty cycle as I'm not trying to do production or gobs of work in a hurry.  I been using  a huge AC/DC stick welder with a freak box for far to long.
I used a friends Omni pro 220 that he got from Harbor freight for like $900.oo and welded up the new chromoly wish bone and anti roll bar I just built for my car and it actually worked very well. Like I said though, I been using a freak box for years so I prob wouldn't know a mediocre machine from a good one. Again, I'm not looking to spend more than a grand on a machine cause its gonna set most of the time. Just figured I'd ask so I could get taken to school by some of you guys.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
Re: Tig welders
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 12:13:30 AM »
The Everlast Generator inverter TIG's are pretty good. I've bought 4 from them so far and been happy with them. The 275amp machine was about 7500k less than an equivalent Dynasty and has all the features I wanted. I have one of the TIGs and 1 wire feed on the service truck now, 2 of the TIGs in the shop and I bought one a few weeks ago to have at home. The ones in the shop have quite a bit of time on them and have held up really well.

I was concerned about buying stuff from them as they are openly advertised as being built in China. However after talking to the welding supply house I usually deal with, the Dynasty's are built in China and shipped here where someone plugs the cards into the cases and puts the ground cable on and they call that made in America. So far the chance I took has paid off, they've been good machines. I also have 1 ESAB tig that is a nice machine, but pricing varies a lot of them it seems.

kraut61

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 11:52:25 AM »
  My vote would be look on SearchTempest/Craigslist locally (shipping) for a used Miller XMT 304 or an ESAB 260 both are multipurpose machines. Stick,Mig,Tig. You could use a older style Tig rig with a gas valve on the handle eliminating the need for additional electronics. I think the Miller would slightly cheaper if you find one. Take your time looking because prices will vary, I have seen junk for $2500 and deals for $1000.....If you find one make sure it works!!! some have been abused, some babied. Bring leads, rods 1/8 and as large as you have, weld with it until the cooling fan comes on (may take awhile with low amperage) power cord 8/3 (temp hookup to 240v) read instructions on inside of how to wire it up because these machines are 2 phase and 3 phase compatible. Tig would be stainless and carbon DCv, aluminum would need ACv
  Lots of good information on Weldingweb, register to post and sell, very good site. Similar as here,not alot of drama...Will get lots of ideas and info, but remember sometimes you may ask the "which oil is the best" "Republican/Democrat" "Ford/Chevy" question, so you will get a lot of different opinions.
  Additionally....you can pick up by hand a XMT304.....In the end you could have an assortment of welding options that just plug into the main machine.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 02:10:09 PM »
I've been keeping my eyes open for a nice TIG machine.  I only have my vintage Millermatic MIG at home.  I have very large TIG machines(500amp) at work I use, but the tungstens are 3/16" and kinda hard for more delicate work.  Plus it has the large water cooled torches which make them cumbersome.

Friend has a nice older Miller 180 TIG machine, paid like $1700 for it years ago.  I'd like to find something similar.   The scare I have from buying a Harbor Fraud model is it will sit for periods, then likely break when I need it most?  Then parts will be NLA and I'm stuck. 

Miller has a nice multi function machine but it's $3k fully outfitted.  Dual voltage, MIG/TIG/STICK, HF start, etc.  Some of the low end machines aren't HF start.

I poke around CL, but most know the value of the machine and not many deals are found(at least I'm not the lucky one to find it).  I buy dear and sell cheap.
Larry

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 03:03:15 PM »
If you're willing to go smaller than 200 amp, there are deals in the $1000 area to be had.  I bought a new Lincoln Precision Tig 185 years ago for around $1500, I see them in the $1000 range occasionally used now. 

for instance for $800: https://denver.craigslist.org/tls/d/denver-precision-tig-185-welderobo/6816412571.html

My3sonz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 04:23:37 PM »
AHP is supposed to be a pretty good tig for under a grand. If you go on weldingweb there is a guy (tiger sales maybe?). He backs up everything he sells. My friend bought one and is happy with it. However if you decide to spend more, the HTP 221 is awesome and customer service is second to none.

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 09:44:11 AM »
 When we did my frame we had to buy a water cooled torch, you could not hold on to ti after a while.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 12:28:31 PM »
Uuuuh, ya.  No doubt Leny!!!  Dang gone that is badass.
Larry

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 07:57:53 PM »
If not water cooled, how are the lower amperage TIG torches cooled? 
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 02:38:05 AM »
If not water cooled, how are the lower amperage TIG torches cooled?

They're air cooled. Air cooled work fine even at fairly high amperage as long as you aren't making really long welds. Water cooled is nicer to work with IMO but you need extra stuff like the water cooler/pump (the Everlast comes with both air and water cooled torches but not the cooler itself). The other drawback to water cooled is if you forget to turn the pump on you will instantly melt the lines which will slow down your fab job for sure.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 01:46:38 PM »
Most smaller TIG welders have short duty cycles, partly because of the air cooled torch.  Basically meant for short stitch welding.

The big machines at work with water cooled torches run for hours...as long as the welder has rod, he just keep feeding it.  The bad thing about water cooled torches is the size and gets awkward if you are working in odd positions or small spaces.

We've had to replace more then one set of lines due to pump failure.  Suddenly the guys leg is getting wet and realize it's squirting water everywhere because the nylon line melted.  Ugh.
Larry

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 03:29:54 PM »
We have a Miller 150 amp my dad bought in the 70s
aircooled Torch. Only service i have done is blowing
out all the dust with compressed air one time  20 years
ago. We had one big miller "fridge" with watercooled Torch
Never heard some one that managed to kill one of them.
But after my stroke i don't build any chassis's any more
so it was so seldom used so there was problem with things
growing in the cooling water so we sold it. The 150 amp
is enough for the kind of work i do today. Mostly 1mm sheatmetall

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 08:33:38 AM »
That's what I learned to tig weld on Heo. Early 70's Miller 500amp power supply, water cooled torch with the optional high frequency start that was mechanical. The hi freq was a seperate unit sitting next to the water cooler that had a bunch of mechanical contactors in it. It was old, hard to move around the shop even on the cart, and occasionally zapped you because the foot pedal leaked a little but it sure did lay down a nice bead once I figured out how to make it work.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 02:40:45 PM »
I think i had to file the "points" when we bought it to get
the HF to work after that it just run and run when i used it
regulary. dead stable arc even if you backed down to next
to no amps. I use the 150 amp as a stick welder too. I havent
tested a stick welder with that nice arc, and i worked as a
weldor for many years, close second was the old ESAB LZ 18

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it