Author Topic: Lunchbox Lockers?  (Read 4233 times)

Sand hauler

• View Profile
Lunchbox Lockers?
« on: February 10, 2019, 03:54:29 AM »
Has any one on here used a lunchbox style locker n there fe ride ? If so, how well did they hold up for street/strip use? I am debating on whether to use one for my F100 instead of a limited slip. I realize that a Detroit would be better,but they are a bit out of my price range right now .
Bobby-   Carlsbad, NM

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Lunchbox Lockers?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 09:51:08 AM »
If budget is limited, may as well try, then later you can go with aftermarket axles, big u-joints and a real diff when budget catches up
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 12:31:47 PM »
Hi
I just ordered a used Detriot locker from www.sripreformance.com.
This is the second one I have ordered and you would not believe the quality of these rears.
They come completely rebuilt and are even safety wired.
Some of these rears were used only for practice or qualifying.
You do have to order what they have in stock but you can tell them what rear ratio you want and wait until they get it in.
They have everything from 3.00 to 6.56.
I have no connection to this company except I am a customer.
$800.00
The best buy for someone on a budget and great quality.
Greg

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 11:01:19 PM »
Not really a direct answer to your question, but here goes anyway.

I've had a Lock-Rite lunchbox locker in the front of my Jeep for 17 years. We've pounded it on rocks and it has given no problems.
I put a rear Lock-Rite in the stock Dana 35 at the same time and it gave no problems 'till I bent (REALLY bent) the rear end housing jumping sand dunes at Glamis, California over Thanksgiving 2012. Then I installed a 9" with Currie axles and a Detroit Locker.

No, I've never used a lunchbox locker in a street/strip car. All I can say is that myself and MANY of my off road friends have used them and I have never seen one fail.

They are noisy, cantankerous bitches. They sound like a stage coach around corners (clickety-clop), and crack-'n-crunch from time to time without warning...seemingly without damaging themselves. BUT, the NASCAR Detroit Locker I got from Roush has the SAME characteristics.

I would expect that the Lock-Rite is at least as strong as stock Ford axles, probably stronger. If I had the finances to upgrade to aftermarket axles, I'd upgrade the case and the locker too.

Bill Ballinger has a Spartan lunchbox locker in his Galaxie with 4.30 gears, stock axles and a fairly narrow stock-type tire.

Sand hauler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 06:05:27 AM »
Thank you, that's what I was wondering if what the tech guy i talked to was right, or just trying to get a sale lol  the Spartan is the one I was looking at andis"claimed" to be as strong as or stronger than the stock carrier and axles. Personally I would rather snap an axle than destroy a third member lol. Is just a thought,to get it back on the road for now.
Bobby-   Carlsbad, NM

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 03:55:25 PM »
Personally, if you want a ratchet style locking differential , especially for a Ford 8 or 9 inch, I would scrape  up the extra money and buy a real Detroit Locker. All these cheapy lockers that fit inside the existing diff case, put all the power thru a pin that was originally designed to mount the spider gears. Where a real Detroit Locker has its own case, and the locking mechanism is mounted inside, and transfers the power thru a series of splines located all the way around the locking unit and inside the case. Much stronger. And due to the 9" (and 8" as well), having the rear pinion support bearing, the design requires a severely stepped down diff case to clear that bearing, which precludes using clutch packs on both sides, like virtually any other clutch type limited slip unit employes. As well, since it appears that the 9" was designed without a limited slip in mind, when Ford did decide to make their own clutch style limited slip unit, not only were they restricted to having clutch plates on only one side, they could only carve away enough material inside the case and side cover to allow a few clutch plates, typically less than 1/2 of what a GM, MoPar, or even a Ford Traction Lok for a 8.8 contains. Which plays a big factor in why it is so common to see a 9" Traction Lok either spinning only 1 tire, due to minimal clutch surface and preload, and if the spring pressure is increased, or driven hard, the side cover split around the ring gear bolts, where the case and cover have been cut away to fit the few clutches in that they could squeeze in there.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 04:00:52 PM »
I have one in the rear of my 1975 F-250 4x4.  Probably 1,500 miles on it until the truck went down due to engine failure.  A little clunky but works a lot better than I thought it would.  I will say I put it through some heavy abuse in the mud, but not on pavement.  Overall I am pleased with it, especially the street manners. 
One thing I will say, and it is just my opinion, if you are going to beat on it, on the street, just make sure it is locked before you hammer into it.  I could see how romping on it and it trying to lockup fast(from a non-locked position) could be problematic just by the design. For the most part, if you are going straight, it is locked and at it's strongest position.  Just something to keep in mind. 

427LX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 09:55:20 PM »
The NASCAR Locker is a different animal than the standard Detroit Locker.
I had a complete Roush/Yates center section 4.00 gear that came out of a Daytona Speedway car and on the street it would
click at the slightest turning angle where my other setup with standard locker you would only hear it on sharp turns going around a corner.
Form what I read the NASCAR unit has a finer tooth count on the ratchet and breaks loose easier for handling concerns.
On the street it will get to you after a short while.
I finally swapped my 3.50 center section with Detroit Locker back in since the lower 4.00 gear was just more wheel spin for my setup and enjoying the quiet too!

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 09:27:22 AM »
I find it odd that people are running a DL for performance and complaining about "noise".  There is also a "soft locker" around - I have one - that makes minimal noise.  Not that you could hear it over the 3" exhaust LOL.  However, it is inconsistent at the track because due to the softer spring settings (to reduce lock noise) it may lock or unlock when launching or in the burnout box.  Why I went back to a spool - if a locker turns you sideways at the tree, you take it out.  If you want a real locking rear diff to make good passes and/or to assure that your axles work as one in a straight line and will endure any abuse, get a real DL and forget the bitty hack jobs.  Deal with the little bit of noise and respect it for what it will do - you punch it and the rear will lock and send you right where the nose is pointing.  So make sure it's not pointed at people or solid objects LOL. 

mtburger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 02:50:32 PM »
I bought one of those off eBay and put it in my 73 Montego GT. Nothing special 351c, 4 speed, 4.10 gears, sticky 245/50 16 tires.

It took 4 summers worth of beating the ever living tar out of it, ended up breaking a 28 spline axle, and twisting the daylights out of the other side in it, but it always locked up, never un-loaded.

I know, you get what you pay for, but I got way more fun out of that piece than I should have.

Mike H.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 03:11:18 PM »
I bought one of those off eBay and put it in my 73 Montego GT. Nothing special 351c, 4 speed, 4.10 gears, sticky 245/50 16 tires.

Nothing to add except that those are the last of the "old" Fords that I really really liked (except for those massive front bumpers). A 4spd Cleveland in that thing just HAS to be a blast!
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 09:38:36 AM »
I used a Powertrax No-slip unit with 31-spline axles.  The locker worked fine, even survived a single-rib third member explosion.
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

plovett

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 06:43:52 AM »
I absolutely love that Montego!

I am thinking about putting a lunchbox locker in my 1990 Aerostar.  I don't think it has enough enough power to hurt anything.

I have a Nascar takeout Detroit Locker in my 1967 Cougar.  I really like it.  I rarely hear or feel it clunk and it's not a big deal when it does.   It just locks and goes straight. 

paulie

bw_kc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 09:03:23 AM »
No experience with the lunchbox locker.  I also have a "used" NASCAR locker.  Works great on-the-street.  Predicable ratcheting at low speed cruising/parking lots.  I just make sure I'm pointed straight when I get-on-it.  Love it when I cruise into a car show and someone yells "there is something wrong with your rear-end".  I reply nope - that's a detroit locker.  That shuts them up ;D

mtburger

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 11:33:41 AM »
I absolutely love that Montego!

paulie

Thanks. After I broke it, I took the car down and started a frame off rebuild with all 1975 Grand National period correct parts and theme. The car now has jacking bolts on all 4 corners, fabricated Chevy style truck arms with panhard bar in the rear, fabricated tube uppers, modified stock lower CA's and tons of race car style fabrication.  Power is a 600hp 408 Cleveland with a Bud Moore maxi box and Roush style HiPorts.

A couple pictures attached, but here is a build thread with a ton of pictures.

Sorry for the hi-jack, I don't get out much  :)

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/73-montego-gt-project-chassis-work_topic6408.html