Author Topic: 2x4 or 3x2 for best drivability on a stock 390?  (Read 8008 times)

fast Ed

• View Profile
2x4 or 3x2 for best drivability on a stock 390?
« on: October 18, 2012, 08:19:01 PM »
Hey guys, one of the posters on the Bangshift forum suggested that I try over here for some specific FE knowledge ....

What is your real-world experience with old school low rise multi-carb intakes for street driving? I'm looking at swapping on either an old Weiand or Offy 2x4 with a pair of 500 Edelbrock AVS carbs, or an Edelbrock F380 with triple Rochester 2G carbs on the stock 390 in my 66 T-Bird.

I realize that neither of these will be optimum for performance, mainly I'm trying to add some visual appeal under the hood, and lose the weight of the stock cast iron intake while I'm at it. The T-Bird has a very low hood line, so it has to be an old school low rise intake. The guy who has the 3x2 setup for sale claims that he was able to get 17 mpg out of it in his early 60s Galaxie on a long highway trip, which is pretty decent for an FE engine I think.

Am I correct in thinking that the 3x2 will probably be better suited and more responsive on my stock engine in a heavy car with 3.00 gears? The only downside I can see to the 3x2 with the 2G carbs is that they will look a bit lost on top of that big engine, whereas the Edelbrock 4-bbl carbs will have enough size to make a better visual impression. Of course choosing the right air cleaners will make a difference to how it turns out as well, I won't be able to go with anything that is very tall.

Suggestions, opinions, your experiences?  This car is just a cruiser, not trying to set any speed records!

thanks,
Ed
66 Thunderbird Town Hardtop 390-4V
89 Mustang GT 5.0

e philpott

• View Profile
Re: 2x4 or 3x2 for best drivability on a stock 390?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 08:50:49 PM »
I would look at the factory 6V intake for a stocker/cruiser or factory 2x4 and skip the aftermarket intakes , Ford engineer's had it right the first time .... I really liked my factory 3x2 intake with factory Holley's for my 390 on street , its not a power house intake on the dyno but drives amazing on street

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 09:57:28 PM »
I'd second the factory 3x2 intake set up. I was just out driving this morning in my 3x2 390 powered 63 Galaxie and it's a dream to drive. It will crawl along sedately in traffic, but will also lay rubber and get going when I plant my right foot. Plus it looks great under the hood.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 10:19:41 PM »
Nice to see you over here, Ed.  According to my intake dyno tests, the Offy intake really sucks for low end torque.  The Edelbrock 3X2V wasn't much better, but it was better.  And the other guys are right, the Ford 3X2V intake with the factory Holley carbs is loads better than either of the other choices, and works great on a 300-400 HP engine.  Great throttle response, lots of low end torque, etc.  Plus you can bolt on a cool oval Thunderbird air cleaner  :)
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

amdscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 10:24:32 PM »
Oh and BTW Ed... nice looking ride you have there.  ;)

fast Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 06:39:58 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.  Losing low end torque in this big car with 3.00 gears doesn't sound like a great plan.  I guess that I'll have to start saving my pennies for a factory setup then, which of course has to be the flat carb pad T-Bird version as well.  The idea was to add some eye appeal under hood on a reasonable budget, but if it's going to make the car drive like ass, it would be a stupid idea.  The aftermarket stuff is less expensive to pick up from what I have seen advertised in the past while, for good reasons apparently besides factory authenticity. 

So I guess it's over to the classifieds to post a wanted ad for a T-Bird intake.

cheers
Ed
66 Thunderbird Town Hardtop 390-4V
89 Mustang GT 5.0

WerbyFord

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 12:09:28 PM »
Hi Ed.
Back in the day we bot a whole 3x2 setup, intake/carbs/linkage/log including polished Bird air cleaner for $100. That was big bucks back then, I was nervous about spending that much without my dad there. Turned out ok.

It went on our 4200lb Gal, c6 3.00 gears. Didnt give up a penny of low-end compared to stock intake or 428pi intake, no worries there. The center Holley is nice&small.

Then again I have a factory 8v loriser on the engine stand right now, vanilla cam in it, idles like a cat purring over breakfast with either a pair of 450 Holleys or a pair of 600 Carterbrocks.

With the 8v you have more carb choices but the 6v as I said works great in a heavy street car and probably looks more "right" in your Bird. I'd grab whichever you get a good deal on. There is a 6v setup on Ebay right now for $1000 IIRC. But, its a Ford setup with Autolite carbs and a repop air cleaner. I did see a Bird intake cheap last year at Hillsboro, OR maybe U can track one down. Good luck!