Author Topic: Ok guys, need suggestions on front suspension systems.  (Read 4951 times)

james

• View Profile
Ok guys, need suggestions on front suspension systems.
« on: February 07, 2019, 08:53:58 PM »
I plan on putting my John Kasse 460 Boss Hemi in my 1965 Mercury Comet Cyclone and I was wondering what would be the best front suspension system you would use for all that power? Also, what about the rear suspension? And yes, I know sub-frame connectors are a must. Thank You!

62Falcon390

• View Profile
Re: Ok guys, need suggestions on front suspension systems.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 09:48:02 AM »
my Falcon is no where near the power yours is, but I have a MII front suspension (welder series crossmember, manual rack, tubular arms,etc all off ebay),  aldan eagle coil overs with 550lb coils, 32" ladder bars, air bags and shocks on rear, full frame, cage,etc.

iron headed 390 with alum intakes.

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 09:49:22 AM »
Hi, I am not sure if you are Changing like to a Mustang two of what but at this point there is there is a lot better systems then the Mustang two, do your research we  just did a 37 Ford but I can't remember at this time but it was  a vary nice set up, this is the way we made Mine but the new system is way nicer. Leny Mason

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 10:50:52 AM »
How much power and torque do you plan on having from that Kaase B9 ??

james

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 02:00:39 PM »
The engine is already done and is at my mechanics shop. I was told the hp is around 850 or so and torque is about 750lbs. Thanks!

hwoods

• View Profile
it is hard to balance your check book with your testoserone level
Previous FE Cars:   1965 Ford Galaxie 390/4spd then upgraded to 427 sideoiler
1970 Maverick 427 sideoiler.  X Pro Stock Car
Current build in progress 1964 Thunderbolt Clone

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 04:18:28 PM »
I would be looking for a strut or something similar to the "MII" setup but with a 10 point cage and braces running to the front of the rails.  And tying in the front rails to the cage mounts or body with 2x3 tube all the way back to the leaf front mounts or ladder bar mounts as needed. More than "sub frame connectors".  I would not want to trust sheet metal splash panels and the firewall interface to handle all the stress from stock cantilevered front suspension rails.  Especially with a big motor and big torque sitting out there.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 05:40:55 PM »
Some years ago---actually quite a few, now that I think about it---I put a 460 CID Super Cobra Jet engine I'd built up, with the very first set of heads released by Trick Flow, into the '72 Pinto I was doing up as a project car for Super Ford Magazine. It was designed primarily for the street.

Dave Lyall was working from Carl Holbrook's shop at the time and he did the basic chassis modifications. We put in 2" X 3" frame rails, let into the floorpan, from in front of the radiator to the back bumper, with all necessary crossmembers to fit. The engine set mostly back of the original firewall line and the car only held two people.

The front suspension was entirely fabricated, and made use of Koni double adjustable shocks, but instead of coil-over springs, I used a transverse fibreglas single leaf set-up that was available at the time for circle track racing. (The design was soon after outlawed as giving too much advantage.) If I were to do it now, I'd just use coil-overs.

You must beef-up the chassis to make it possible to use the power you'll have available. Using a MII front suspension will complicate your front lay-out since it relies on the crossmember at that location and that'll complicate engine placement. I had enough engine setback that the damper was behind the spindle centerline But I had a crossmember there to help control the torque that'd otherwise soon bend the frame out of shape. The engine was mounted with motor-plates fore-'n'-aft.

If you're aware of all such things, you'll be able, together with your fabricator, to come up with a solution that'll fit your particular set of circumstances.

KS

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 07:19:45 PM »
X2 on using motor plates if at all possible. 

james

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 08:36:55 PM »
X2 on using motor plates if at all possible.

Ok, the following is what I recently added to my 1964 Ford Falson Sprint (Roll cage and chasis support) that has a real 427fe stroked to 482 with Barry's setup. So if I add this to the comet with this front suspension system https://www.fabquest.com/tci-60-65-ford-falcon-comet-ranchero-mustang-ii-ifs-front-end-kit-base.html?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=CjwKCAiA7vTiBRAqEiwA4NTO674KpyTiqa1ZVFdI4BoG85y2OQJxpyddBRWFfAAONlRajv9fd9JsnxoCgkEQAvD_BwE  do you think it would be adequate? Thanks

I did find this bad boy, but look at the price. https://www.cjponyparts.com/detroit-speed-front-suspension-system-aluma-frame-with-base-coil-over-shocks-1965-1970/p/SUSK73/?year=1965&gclid=CjwKCAiA7vTiBRAqEiwA4NTO69IoMe6e6xem4FvHSOJYHbLsOcEkEemS-OUgMZfR6BzIEbFUTsalzhoCaIkQAvD_BwE
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 08:38:44 PM by james »

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 01:26:08 PM »
Some years ago---actually quite a few, now that I think about it---I put a 460 CID Super Cobra Jet engine I'd built up, with the very first set of heads released by Trick Flow, into the '72 Pinto I was doing up as a project car for Super Ford Magazine. It was designed primarily for the street.

Dave Lyall was working from Carl Holbrook's shop at the time and he did the basic chassis modifications. We put in 2" X 3" frame rails, let into the floorpan, from in front of the radiator to the back bumper, with all necessary crossmembers to fit. The engine set mostly back of the original firewall line and the car only held two people.

The front suspension was entirely fabricated, and made use of Koni double adjustable shocks, but instead of coil-over springs, I used a transverse fibreglas single leaf set-up that was available at the time for circle track racing. (The design was soon after outlawed as giving too much advantage.) If I were to do it now, I'd just use coil-overs.

You must beef-up the chassis to make it possible to use the power you'll have available. Using a MII front suspension will complicate your front lay-out since it relies on the crossmember at that location and that'll complicate engine placement. I had enough engine setback that the damper was behind the spindle centerline But I had a crossmember there to help control the torque that'd otherwise soon bend the frame out of shape. The engine was mounted with motor-plates fore-'n'-aft.

If you're aware of all such things, you'll be able, together with your fabricator, to come up with a solution that'll fit your particular set of circumstances.

I used 2 x 3 inch if I were to do it over I would use 4 inch mine moves to much, maybe with a full cage it would be fine. Leny Mason
KS

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 11:24:06 PM »
Leny, I didn't mention it above but I chopped the top four inches and put a full cage of 2" DOM tube in it before I installed the engine.

KS

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 08:12:20 AM »
Cammerfe I should of done a full cage, and went with four inch x two frame rails o well if it doesn't work out it will get more cage, I am just wanting to get it moving on it own power. Leny Mason

hbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 11:56:32 AM »
for me,the bolt in front coil over struts add the least amount of weight and minimum fabrication.
RRS makes really nice stuff.also AJE had a nice set up,has a K member and uses sn 95 spindles and fox struts.you can cut most of the shock towers out for engine space and it can still use a front sump pan and rear steer rack.
i see some cars end up looking bad with the M2 front suspension  hanging almost on the ground.

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 03:07:18 PM »
Biggest issue with the Mustang II is the rack sits quite high. They make drop spindles that lower the rack 3" along with the crossmember and control arms. Which make it look like you ran over a floor jack and it's stuck sideways under the car.

The way around that is to mount the engine half way through the firewall so the rack is ahead of the oil pan or mount the engine up high with the distributor hanging out the hood.

The biggest deal with the bolt in struts is they are meant to use the factory top of the shock tower which is still narrower than the Boss 429 is. You can carve the shock towers away below that to fit it in there but would be better off with struts that mount further outboard at the top. Like Fox Body struts on the original lower control arms and rear steer and fabricate or modify the shock towers to fit them... or use Fox body towers.