Author Topic: first fe experience  (Read 13439 times)

cammerfe

• View Profile
Re: first fe experience
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 06:14:30 PM »
Took a break from school, came home and went to work at FoMoCo. T&C Livonia. When I made 90 days, I went and bought a new '64 Custom. 427, pair of quads, 4-speed and a 4.11 rear. My first new car. I'd been driving a '54 Customline into which I'd placed a 312 with a Paxton.

Performance was on a whole new level with the '64. Open 4.11, a pair of second-hand M&H's and a little practice driving and I went 13.27 at 107 one Sunday morning at Milan.

I've been an FE fan ever since.

KS

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 07:03:11 PM »
When i was 15 a guy in town bought a 69 mustang gt with a 428 cj  4 speed and took me for ride 4 years later i bought it and still own it.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 07:21:51 PM »
My first own FE car. A 66 Fairlane XL originally a 289/C4 car had a 390/FMX
With a streetmaster,750 DP ,some unknown hydraulic cam. I put in a
Cam Dynamics mechanical Cam i forgot the numbers on think it was 306 adv duration
and a Toploader . The 390 took in water when i drove it hard so i changed it out for a
Cleveland. That dropped a valve and grenaded the engine so i went with a built 302
 I bought it in i guess -88 here is a pic from -90.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 02:26:38 PM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2019, 07:48:07 PM »
Pop drove Flatheads, all bought used. In 59 he bought a new Custom 300 6cyl, traded it for a 58 with 352 4bbl, three on tree. That hooked me. Went in service in Dec 65, bought a new 66 Fairlane 390 4bbl, 3 on the tree bench seat after basic training. Came home from Nam in 68 and the Fairlane got a 428 cranked 427 with 2 4bbl and toploader. Went through 2 lowrisers, 1 Highriser & 1 tunnelport, lots of tires and a supertanker full of fun. Birth of son in 79 ended it. Got back in in 2008. Now just a old fart having fun again.
Woody

bsprowl

• View Profile
    • Ford FE Information
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 09:49:55 PM »
In December 1961, I took my driver's license test in '58 Edsel Ranger with a 361 FE, 4 BBL, automatic (not sure which one).  Belonged to my God-father.  Drove it often until he traded it on a '62 Mercury with a 390.  Drove that regularly also. 

In 1967 I bought a '58 Ford wagon with a 332 that didn't run, gave it a valve job while TDY in Illion, New York going to computer school.

When I came back from Vietnam, I bought a '69 429 Galaxie for my first wife and a '66 428 Galaxie 4 speed for myself with my re-enlistment bonus.

Bob

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 11:15:41 PM »
When we were little my uncle John had a 69 428 cj mach one 4 speed. He loved to tilt them back and when we would leave a party and we would sleep over my cousins house he would be banging gears all the way to his house while my aunt marie would be screaming at him to slow down with the kids in the car but we were yelling louder to do it again do it again!!!. Now my dad had the car I have now 67 fastback with a stock 427 c6 3.08 posi. He didnt want to give me the car because of the engine. He said he would build a 289 for it. I said no way the 427 is what makes the car special, so I went out and was looking for a car. I had about 3500 dollars saved from working so I figured I could get something pretty good. The Mobil station up the block had a 67 SS chevelle 454 4 speed 12 bolt 3.73 with a set of ladderbars, jet black with black interior center console. The guy was asking 3500 but I didnt know enough about cars to just buy it so I asked my dad to come look at it for me. We drove up there in the mustang and we both got out and I went to the other side of the car he was looking at it and I looked under the car and heard a door shut and I know that it was the sound of the mustangs door, my dad obviously seen enough so I ran back to the car and got in and didnt say a word. We drove home and he didnt say anything till we got about 4 houses away from our house. He stopped the car and said if I catch you screwing around in this car I will kill you. And the rest is history. Did alot of stupid crap but was hooked.  Thanks dad 
HEO obviously Doug is a bad influence.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 09:20:16 AM by Stangman »

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2019, 11:44:05 AM »
 Dad had ford trucks. my most vivid memory is a 1950 F2 that was a 6cyl/ 3 on the floor. Next was a 56 F600 with the v8 yblock 4spd/ 2spd . I learned to drive in this truck. I fell in love in that truck and decided I wanted a 56 F100. Looked for a while and found a "55" in a barn that I heard about. Went to see it and when the guy opened the door here say a 56 F100 all apart! I bought it for $85 and trucked it home. Dad was not to keen on this truck but went along with me and figured I`d fail. A year later I had it running with a junk yard 390 and a C6. This was in 72. The 390 served me well and I was keen to up date it. A local speed shop had a 428 for trade listed on the swap wall. I called and found out it was a judges kids car and he got in trouble and his dad wanted the motor gone for something less powerful. Turned out it was a CJ from a Fairlane and I made the deal. Put it in the truck and had more power than the 390 in short order. Broke the rear axle in 3 pieces, so in went a 9" out of a 72 F100. I got tried of the 390 so I went shopping for a 427. A mentor of mine had a block that I bought for $75. Put that one together and went out and had fun. It popped 2 piston pin clips and I got it sleeved  but The machine shop screwed it up pressing the sleeves. Found a NOS block from a guy named Drake Vascom in the old Super Ford rag and struck a deal for it. I haven't looked back but kept collecting 427s, now up to 6 units!

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2019, 12:16:58 PM »

HEO obviously Doug is a bad influence.

I'd take offense to that, if it weren't true ;D

I have some pictures of my car that would top Heo's, but I don't want to get banned from the forum.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2019, 05:13:04 PM »

HEO obviouslhttp://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/Smileys/default/grin.gify Doug is a bad influence.

I'd take offense to that, if it weren't true ;D

I have some pictures of my car that would top Heo's, but I don't want to get banned from the forum.

Yes Stangman i was a nice guy before i learned to know Doug ;D ;D

Doug, Huhh?? bringem on i got pics that would bann me from ...Internet ;D ;D ;D ;D
We better stop before Jay stand us in the corner :o ;D ;D ;D

(no offence Dough  somtimes it can backfire joking in another language so..just trying to be fun)

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

happystang

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2019, 08:05:45 PM »
I'm still relatively new to the FE world :).

I purchased my S code '68 mustang fastback last August and turned 24 in November. The original 390 was gone, but the car came with a 428 short block that needed some freshening up. After a mechanical restoration, I took the fastback for its first drive in 40 years during the first week of January this year. I've dabbled with Windsors since I was 16, but this was my first time driving an FE powered car. Needless to say, I'm definitely hooked!

IMG_8521.JPG by armon7, on Flickr

IMG_8523.JPG by armon7, on Flickr

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2019, 10:53:06 PM »
Heo, absolutely no offense taken. They would get deleted pretty quickly though, and I don't want to get banned..lol :o

happystang, that's a pretty cool start, especially at your age. Not many young guys can afford to even get into the vintage muscle car field, but that's a good one!
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2019, 05:26:01 PM »
Happystang, I like your car, the stans and the somewhat worn outside
(Dont like the word patina) and the way the wheels fill the wheelhouse
give it that all Go and no Show look. Try to remove the hubcaps and
se what you think about that. It give a more racey look in my opinion
67-68 FB is in my opinion the best looking mustang....Ohhh to be 24
again with a FE Mustang ;D. Was 24 when i bought the Fairlane

C8OZ

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2019, 06:38:18 PM »
I was 18 or 19, and it was a blue 66 Fairlane 2DR HT with a .060 over 390 and a C6, 3.25 rear.

The compression was beyond pump gas, and it had just broken the ring lands on several pistons from detonation. The bore cleaned up fine. Added a Lunati cam, CJ intake/750dp, Cal custom covers, kept race fuel blended in (or knocked the timing back between paychecks) and stayed in trouble constantly. That engine went into my next two cars, a 68 Torino, then a 65 Fairlane Sport Coupe.

hwoods

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2019, 07:41:47 PM »
didn't know this was a competition, but I would have to say the guy with the lady on top of his car is the winner
it is hard to balance your check book with your testoserone level
Previous FE Cars:   1965 Ford Galaxie 390/4spd then upgraded to 427 sideoiler
1970 Maverick 427 sideoiler.  X Pro Stock Car
Current build in progress 1964 Thunderbolt Clone

happystang

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2019, 05:49:56 PM »
Heo, absolutely no offense taken. They would get deleted pretty quickly though, and I don't want to get banned..lol :o

happystang, that's a pretty cool start, especially at your age. Not many young guys can afford to even get into the vintage muscle car field, but that's a good one!

I've definitely learned that FE stands for Friggen Expensive LOL. I started dabbling with small blocks before I could even drive, that basically turned into work experience which is how I funded the '68.

Happystang, I like your car, the stans and the somewhat worn outside
(Dont like the word patina) and the way the wheels fill the wheelhouse
give it that all Go and no Show look. Try to remove the hubcaps and
se what you think about that. It give a more racey look in my opinion
67-68 FB is in my opinion the best looking mustang....Ohhh to be 24
again with a FE Mustang ;D. Was 24 when i bought the Fairlane

Thank you! It's affectionately been referred to as the Beater Bullitt (or the Banana Bullitt) by many. I'm in the process of making it more of a daily driver while I finish my last semester of college. Needless to say, it's been a great experience so far :).