Author Topic: Air cleaner to Hood clearance  (Read 2850 times)

67 Fastback

• View Profile
Air cleaner to Hood clearance
« on: October 18, 2012, 11:59:20 AM »
Getting close to getting my Tripower tunnel wedge set up finished we have run into a issue that the Fast distributor sits higher which means we would have to raise the Oval style aircleaner 1 inch higher than standard . Does anyone one know if there would be enough clearance with a standard 67 mustang bonnet to clear the extra height of the aircleaner with a tunnel wedge manifold . The other option is to use a crab style cap on MSD distributor and a crank angle sensor . Does a crank sensor change pulley alignment.   

e philpott

• View Profile
Re: Air cleaner to Hood clearance
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 08:56:16 PM »
killer looking set up !! .... not familar with the fast distributor,  sorry I'm of no help .....  did you add the efi bungs or are they cast in the intake ??

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 10:28:24 PM »
Whether or not you need to change pulley locations to add a crank sensor will depend on the sensor setup, but for most of the bolt on ones you will have to space the water pump and alternator pulleys forward 1/4" or so, because the trigger wheel for the crank sensor will bolt on between the harmonic balancer and the crank pulleys, and that wheel is about 1/4" thick.  No big deal, usually. 

Looking at your setup it is difficult to predict hood clearance.  The tunnel wedge intake is definitely taller than a stock 3X2V intake, but your throttle bodies look like they are shorter than the stock carbs, so that may work in your favor.  I'd suggest you lay a straightedge across the throttle bodies and measure down to the intake at front and rear, where the intake end rails are.  Those two measurements could be compared to a stock 3X2V setup to tell you how much higher you are.  I've got a stock setup hanging on the wall I could measure for you if it would help - Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

67 Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 07:05:59 AM »
Thanks for the comments Guys ,Bruce has found a solution using a crab style cap .The FAST distributor uses a i hate to say chev style cap so hopefully we have solved the issue .From comments on other forums i have read a tunnel wedge will fit under a standard height bonnet the issue i had was the height of the distributor which would push up the aircleaner height  .The manifold is close to being finished so i hope to see it in 2 weeks if not sooner . Does anyone have any  fuel and ignition maps will be running 48 lb injectors 10.8 to 11 to 1 compression 433 cubes  ,Waiting on camshaft and rocker assemblys to arrive to allow final fit up. Sure is great getting home from work and opening up the goodies .

Mark