Author Topic: Good Deal  (Read 6752 times)

plovett

Re: Good Deal
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2019, 02:06:41 PM »
I think Rat540's testing was completely unscientific and not related to how oil affects parts in an actual running engine.  It was meaningless.  That is why so many people didn't like it.

JMO,

paulie

plovett

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 02:39:25 PM »
I wouldn't change if you're running a flat tappet engine. The roller engines seem to be okay with the multi-viscosity oils. I started using the Kendall AKA Brad Penn in the 80's. I ran it in a turbo vehicle before turbo specifics came to be. It held up much better than Castrol ever did.  Despite the fact its 9.00 a quart for the break in, I feel safe with it and it's protection properties.

He is talking about going from a 10W40 with high ZDDP to a 10W30 with high ZDDP.

plovett

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2019, 02:43:03 PM »
I wouldn't change if you're running a flat tappet engine. The roller engines seem to be okay with the multi-viscosity oils. I started using the Kendall AKA Brad Penn in the 80's. I ran it in a turbo vehicle before turbo specifics came to be. It held up much better than Castrol ever did.  Despite the fact its 9.00 a quart for the break in, I feel safe with it and it's protection properties.

My understanding is the hydraulic roller engines can be the MOST sensitive to oil viscosity. 

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2019, 04:50:27 PM »
Heo, you're scaring me LOL!  Have you got a link to any of those reports?

Its the one C8OZ linked to

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2019, 05:49:24 PM »
Didn't read everything on the Rat's site, but he doesn't spell out the testing procedure or the statistical repeatability of the testing.

Have to agree on the 5K mile oil change though.

Interesting ideas on larger clearances and a high pressure/high volume oil pump.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2019, 11:24:27 AM »
All three hot rods need oil changes, along with the Mack.  Gunno be an expensive day!
I just got my $100 gift card for Summit from my racing group at the banquet last weekend, so I'll get a case ready for the wagon.  Need almost two more cases for the other two.   The Mack eats 6 gal of Rotella.

The good part is the Mack filters are cheaper then a FL1A!  Straight from Mack even?  I've wondered how they make these huge things for cheaper then a little FL1a?

I've always run Val VR1 20w/50 without issues.  No sense in changing now.

I just googled VR1, Zoro has it for $6.79/qt.  $50 orders ship free?  Might look into a big order.  Most places have it around $10/qt.
https://www.zoro.com/valvoline-motor-oil-1-qt-amber-20w-50-sae-grade-822347/i/G3964619/

Summit has it for $7.99.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vlv-vv211/overview/
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 11:31:00 AM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

The Real McCoy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2019, 07:40:05 AM »
Well, the old saying “If it’s to good to be true it’s probably not true” has proven to be true....., just got this from Amazon.

Hello,

We're contacting you about order for Valvoline 10W-30 VR1 Racing Motor Oil - 1qt (Case of 6) (822388-6PK). We recently learned that an error caused this item to be displayed at an incorrect price.

This was our mistake, and we'll honor the incorrect price for one of the items you ordered. However, we're unable to honor the price for multiple quantities of this item. Therefore, we've adjusted the quantity of your order to 1.

We're sorry about this. At any given time, despite our best efforts, a small number of the millions of items on our site may be mispriced.

The correct price is listed on our website now, so if you'd like to place another order for more of this item, you can do so here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJ4FMK2

We value your business and hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely,

Customer Service
Amazon.com

Guess I was lucky to get one case. They.are showing the correct price of $23.99 (but temporarily out of stock) which is still about half of what I was getting it for at Summit.  Might still order a couple more cases. Hopefully they aren’t coming from the Russian supplier HEO described. LOL

63 1/2 Galaxie 500
428 CJ Stroker with 427 2x4 Intake, 427 Long Exhaust Manifolds, Quick Fuel Carbs and TKO 600.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it’s what we know for sure that just ain’t so."                            Mark Twain

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2019, 08:31:07 PM »
They are out of stock after the cops busted the Russian
oil mixing outfit ??? ??? ??? and my counterfeit Bosch
tacho from Amazon..........something tells me i not buying
any oil from them. Not even to lube a bicycle chain ;D

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2019, 11:02:33 AM »
That sucks the real McCoy my buddy saw it a day before I told you guys about it. He
Bought 10 cases. I will see him at work today and see if he got the whole order.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2019, 06:58:13 PM »
I just spoke to my buddy he got all ten cases. His buddy ordered 10 and is only getting  one.
Go figure?

The Real McCoy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2019, 10:07:22 PM »
Hey Stangman, looks like your buddy got lucky  and his buddy and I ordered after they figured out the price was wrong.  Oh well, one is better than none. I did order a couple more cases at the $23.99 price, still only $4.00 a quart but the delivery is out quite bit, hope they show up.

The weird thing to me is the "conventional" 10W30 Valvoline that I use on my daily drivers is $49.38 for a case of 6 on Amazon, more than double their current price on the VR-1 Racing Oil.  I usually pay about $20 for it locally.  Wonder if they notice they are not selling much at that price....
63 1/2 Galaxie 500
428 CJ Stroker with 427 2x4 Intake, 427 Long Exhaust Manifolds, Quick Fuel Carbs and TKO 600.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it’s what we know for sure that just ain’t so."                            Mark Twain

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2019, 03:25:25 PM »
Someone in Jackson, Mi ??

VR1 20w50 for only $4.79!!     But in store pickup only.  Dangnabit.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/279555-valvoline-20w50-vr-1-racing-motor-oil.html

The Zoro link I posted is already increasing the price to $7.03/qt.
Larry

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2019, 11:18:45 AM »
Went to Summit yesterday and got 36 qts of oil.   When they rang me up, they gave me 20% off since the order was over $250!  Winning!!   That along with my $100 gift card I got off pretty cheap.
Larry

C8OZ

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2019, 05:44:25 PM »
The $12 Amazon case finally made it. Looks legit in every way I can compare.

Same as above, they cut the order to one case from four citing a pricing error.