Author Topic: barrett jackson comet  (Read 3091 times)

fryedaddy

• View Profile
barrett jackson comet
« on: January 19, 2019, 01:12:02 PM »
i saw a 67 202 comet 427 4 speed sell for 87,000 friday night.myself i think that was a good buy,but i did see some hemi cars,ss chevys,bb vettes going for 65-75,000.so i guess the comet was hanging in there with the others.i thought it would go for 6 figures though.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

57 lima bean

Re: barrett jackson comet
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 10:46:27 PM »
They said here that there were two in Black.I saw the other one in 83 at Columbus.
    http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/5281-1967-mercury-comet-202-427/   

IIRC Randy Hinson wanted 40k for it then.

Cyclone Joe

• Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 01:46:27 AM »
The one in the link with the white interior was bid up to $167k a few years ago at Mecum in Monterey but didn't sell.  I spent an hour under it taking all kinds of photos.  It was prist-tine inside and out!  Rumor was it sold a few months later for less.  Not sure where its at these days.  It was a true true sleeper.

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 04:13:04 PM »
man i daydream all the time about one of those 427 comets.my old 66 did come with the onyx paint, bucket seats and a tach, factory mags that i no longer have,sold them like a dummy when i was 19 and put on craggers.but it came with a y code 390,4 speed.oh well,at least it is a fe car. im happy with it.i guess thats all that matters.but if i was to ever hit the lotto,i would own one at whatever cost.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 06:25:48 PM »
Frye, the Caliente in the pic above? I had a red with white painted top 390 4 speed, red buckets.
 I bought it from the original owner who said it came with the Holley 4v and chrome valve covers.
The dealer did that to any 390 two door non-GT to be able to sell them as musclecars.

Prices at the auction baffled me, I watched a lot of it while sick all week. Frickin' Eleanors selling for a lot more than real Shelbys went for. Blazers and Broncos for more than most of the Blue Chip collector cars.

Val406

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 09:01:41 PM »
I could only stomach small doses. Prices for legit rare cars were very low. Like Tom said, those overdone trucks were "trending" and priced up to the moon. I'll be darned if B-J is going to tell me whats blue-chip.

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 01:57:21 AM »
I'm not sure why you're surprised. It's a Comet.  It just doesn't have the eye appeal of a Mustang or Fairlane. I'd love to own it  just because it's a 427 car.  As for Barret-Jackson. It never ceased to amaze me how dolts see car come across the block that is meticulously restored and think their vehicle has the same value. Those of us who went though a truly complete restoration know what it cost to bring a vehicle to those standards. It's easy to dump 20K on paint and body anymore, even with vehicles that are in relatively good condition.

-Keith

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 04:28:31 PM »
I'm not sure why you're surprised. It's a Comet.  It just doesn't have the eye appeal of a Mustang or Fairlane. I'd love to own it  just because it's a 427 car.  As for Barret-Jackson.

-Keith
i guess the eye appeal is in the eye of the beholder.personally i like the comets better than the mustangs.i like the fairlanes though.i have owned several gt fairlanes and comet cyclones and calientes but im not a main stream guy,i dont care much for mustangs and i dont give a damn about vettes cameros or anything ss.i agree some people think their stuff is priceless because they saw one go for big money.i know my comet aint worth much,but its priceless to me because ive owned it for nearly 40 years,and its who i am.i see mustangs and cameros every day,but as far as i know im the only comet driver in my city.i drive it everywhere i go.my dad has 2 fairlane show cars.he dont get them out unless its a nice day or to go to a car show.thats not me.i have never entered my comet in any show.a random guy asked me at the grocery store if i ever show it and i told him nobody would want to see my old junker.he said he would walk right by a 100,000 car and go straight to my comet,regardless of its condition.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 04:52:54 PM by fryedaddy »

57 lima bean

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 07:25:20 PM »
A local racer picked this up at auction a few years ago.While talking with him at the August Lucas race here,(he new I really liked the car), and I said"If only it was a Comet"...Thats when he shoved me. 

A note with the Hinson car in Columbus....While the show/swap was going on,I stepped out of the dealership via service door and low and behold the Comet was running unattended in back of the place.The sound of it was described perfectly in the article. 

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 09:25:12 PM »
I'm not sure why you're surprised. It's a Comet.  It just doesn't have the eye appeal of a Mustang or Fairlane. I'd love to own it  just because it's a 427 car.  As for Barret-Jackson.

-Keith
i guess the eye appeal is in the eye of the beholder.personally i like the comets better than the mustangs.i like the fairlanes though.i have owned several gt fairlanes and comet cyclones and calientes but im not a main stream guy,i dont care much for mustangs and i dont give a damn about vettes cameros or anything ss.i agree some people think their stuff is priceless because they saw one go for big money.i know my comet aint worth much,but its priceless to me because ive owned it for nearly 40 years,and its who i am.i see mustangs and cameros every day,but as far as i know im the only comet driver in my city.i drive it everywhere i go.my dad has 2 fairlane show cars.he dont get them out unless its a nice day or to go to a car show.thats not me.i have never entered my comet in any show.a random guy asked me at the grocery store if i ever show it and i told him nobody would want to see my old junker.he said he would walk right by a 100,000 car and go straight to my comet,regardless of its condition.
It certainly is about personal taste.  I have a '67 GT 500 I have owned since my senior year in High School ( 1982).  I had a 390 Comet at one point too.  However, the Galaxies, Comets and Fairlanes just don't have the following. I like them as well. I had a '66 T-bird with a 428 as well.

I wasn't cutting the vehicle down, just stating the obvious.
                                                                                                -Keith

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 04:03:44 PM »
A local racer picked this up at auction a few years ago.While talking with him at the August Lucas race here,(he new I really liked the car), and I said"If only it was a Comet"...Thats when he shoved me. 

A note with the Hinson car in Columbus....While the show/swap was going on,I stepped out of the dealership via service door and low and behold the Comet was running unattended in back of the place.The sound of it was described perfectly in the article.

That green stock eliminator car was a smokin' deal. I thought I heard the car suffered some sort of body damage just before the auction, but it was still a great buy. Could not build it for what your racer friend paid for it.

Mike
"That guy has got a pocket full of money and a watch full of time!"   Hubert Platt.

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 04:36:56 PM »
Is that green Fairlane sedan the one RJ Sledge had a few years ago?

I have always had Comets, eight of them so far. First a 67 convert, three 66 converts, a 66 hardtop a 62 S-22 and two 64 hardtops. Just have two now but it has always been like that where the Comet gets no love and lower prices than the equivalent Ford. I guess I did buy each one of them because they were cheaper.

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 06:10:02 PM »
i know what would make comet prices go up.all it needs is for some famous star to drive a comet in a hit movie,then everybody would want one.mc queen and Reynolds defiantly had a impact on mustangs and transams.they will shine one day. a 66 comet was the first flip top funny car,and comets have always made good race cars.a low production number dont always mean more valuable.i bet they aint a hand full of 66 big block,4 speed calientes out there but that dont mean they are valuable.after driving my comet for almost 40 years,its priceless to me