Author Topic: B&M mega shifter problems  (Read 11367 times)

bartlett

• View Profile
B&M mega shifter problems
« on: October 13, 2012, 06:53:51 PM »
I have been tearing my hair out trying to get this shifter set right. I have it hooked to the c6 ... I put the shifter to full low/1st gear and set the cable adjuster, Then full park and check it.. there not perfect but close. I run the gears and it will not shift to second correctly , I have to double shift it and it goes to second. the throw seems to short . Is my shifter worn or is there a adjustment I can do ??  I have the 4 speed pin installed not removed....  Im thinking of making the lever on the tranny longer if I have to as a last resort... Or calling B&M on monday ...

Help me ... lol .....

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: B&M mega shifter problems
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 02:39:30 PM »
it takes awhile to get the adjustment correct.
I would just set it in 1st, shift to 2nd, climb under and check to make sure it was in second, and do this to all gears.  3-4degrees of the arm makes a huge difference, you just need to keep shifting and checking until it goes into all very well.

This is with a c6 that has the detent in the valve body btw.

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 03:59:39 PM »
Typical problem, where the shifter is designed for a GM transmissions detent spacing, and too bad if you run something non GM. I had this same issue with both Hurst and B&M cable shifters. I had to make a compromise adjustment, and make the adjusting point in Neutral, it did work, but I ddidn`t really like the feel in Low or Park.Between that, and trying to keep the flimsy plastic cable from melting on the headers, I eventually tossed the aftermarket shifters, and modified a stock Ford shifter from a Pinto to work with the reverse pattern valve body I was useing at the time. It took a couple of minutes with a file.  I ended up with a sturdy stock looking shifter, that had a nice solid shifter rod instead of a cable, that worked great and cost nothing. If I ever decided to switch back to an automatic (not bloody likely!), I would use a modified Ford shifter again.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 04:51:41 PM »
X2 on the adjust from nuetral .... my BM pro ratchet was like that ...... the way I permantly fixed it was to convert to a 4-speed :) ......... the cheetah shifter is sweet for Ford products , it has a shift detent designed for fords

bartlett

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 07:05:58 PM »
I messed with it more and Im thinking there is just somthing not right with it ... I have it shifting ok but right.... It will miss second gear shift sometimes still .. It just dont ratchet correctly. Im going to call B&M monday and see what they can or will do for me being a life time warranty. I have herd there warranty sucks and will be lucky to even have them answer the phone.  Im not aginst getting a new shifter ,but what works good ?

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 07:20:25 PM »
the Cheetah SCS from Turbo Action is the one to get ..... should be in Jegs or summit if you want to look at them

http://www.jegs.com/p/Turbo-Action/Turbo-Action-Cheetah-SCS-Shifters-Accessories/745843/10002/-1

bartlett

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 07:45:18 PM »
Resolved  ;D

I decided no matter what the shifter needed to come out and if I could not fix it I would buy a new shifter. I took it out and bolted it to my bench for testing. After a few min I saw the problem ! There is a metal flex spring that stops/deturmans where each shift stops at, It clicks into each cog as you shift. I could see when I went from first to second the spring was not down into the cog.  I was able to adjust the spring and walla !! the thing works like butter again ! never hints of missing now ! I just need to reinstall it in the car. I have no dought it will work like it did when new...  8)  Hope this helps someone that is fighting there mega shifter .. I spent hrs under the car messing with the dumb thing .....