Author Topic: clutch pedal wont come back up  (Read 1830 times)

fryedaddy

• View Profile
clutch pedal wont come back up
« on: January 01, 2019, 12:14:51 PM »
i had a friend call me last night.he is building a 390 galaxie.he is changing from auto to 4 speed.he has the pedal,linkage and every thing else installed.his cluth pedal wont come back up and the tension dont feel right.new clutch,pressure plate,etc.he asked me what might be the problem.i dont know but i told him i would ask the fe forum.any ideas what his problem might be?
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

AlanCasida

• View Profile
Re: clutch pedal wont come back up
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 12:27:45 PM »
What year of Galaxie and what type of pressure plate. When I changed from a Long to a diaphragm type pressure plate in my 66 Galaxie I had the remove the factory assist spring on the z-bar and had to put a return spring on the pedal and connected it under the dash to get everything to work right.

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 12:30:14 PM »
63 model,stock replacement clutch and pressure plate.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 12:55:10 PM »
63 has a spring under the dash to assist the pedal return. Is it there?

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 12:56:41 PM »
63 has a spring under the dash to assist the pedal return. Is it there?
not sure,i will ask him

Ranch

• Retired Maintenance Machinist, Millwright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 01:59:23 PM »
The pressure plate it self should move your pedal back up, but not all the way.  When I switched my 58 from auto to 4pd I did not install the over/center spring under the dash (they are pretty strong),  I just placed a spring from the fork forward to pull the the linkage off my throw out bearing. Sure it will make it a little tougher on the left leg especially back in the day of those Zoom clutch setups,  but if your linkage is free and not binding you should be good as long as you have about an inch of free play at the top of the pedal....JMO

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 03:44:33 PM »
Stick Gals that I have & had all had a problem with the pedal coming all the way back. Clutch worked fine & I usually like about an inch or so of free play at the top of the pedal and that's where the pedal would stop. Then I would pull it up the rest of the way with the tip of my shoe. The return spring under the dash should have a little plastic grommet on the end of it to keep the pedal from squeaking as it is pushed and released. they get brittle and break, which in effect shortens the spring just enough to keep the pedal from returning all the way up.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 05:26:17 PM »
I have the Centerforce II dual friction in my 1967 Shelby. You DO NOT have to remove the over-center spring on the pedal. If you want the trick I'll be glad to give it to you. It'll cost you a whole 9.00 to fix the issue and it is done underneath the vehicle. It'll take you five minutes.

-Keith