Author Topic: Butyl Sealant  (Read 2830 times)

urchinhead

• View Profile
Butyl Sealant
« on: January 01, 2019, 10:43:23 AM »
When I replaced the cracked windshield on my pickup, there was quite a bit of what I believe to be butyl sealant. I just re-smeared what was there.

While preparing to do the body work on my Galaxie convertible, I scraped and scrubbed off about three pounds of the stuff on both sides of the seal, and lumped on top, underneath the stainless trim. Is there a good replacement for this? I see butyl caulk on some industrial sites, and a generic 3M adhesive listed on the restoration sites.

I was once told that butyl was deemed environmentally unfriendly and was phased out in the 1970s.

1964 Galaxie 500 Convertible, drivetrain on stand
1970 F100 Custom, 428 - body work and paint in progress

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: Butyl Sealant
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 11:04:09 AM »
I'd replace with the same stuff.  It's cheap and effective.

One thing I will say, when tearing into old cars for parts, it seems like a whole area will be rusted, but where the sealant touches, it's dang near brand new. 

urchinhead

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 11:10:11 AM »
That’s my plan. I just have no idea what the chemical content of the butyl - or whatever it is - might be. Just as you said, it did a great job sealing things from the elements.

The plastic sheeting in the doors, cardboard and carpet did not help in the rust department . . .

urchinhead

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 11:31:46 AM »
I am hoping this photo posts:

FB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 01:16:54 PM »
It's available in a tape, standard staple in most auto shops, great to stop squeaks and rattles too...
https://www.amazon.com/Butyl-Black-Choose-100ft-400ft/dp/B01CUBJ4PS
also can get it in caulk tubes, Lowes or Home Depot, its marketed as roofing sealer, DAP brand, just read the label you will see its just Butyl.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 01:21:12 PM by FB »
Fred

urchinhead

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 02:20:00 PM »
Thank you. There are a few different industrial supply companies near me, plus a Lowe’s, so I will check those out!

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 03:05:45 PM »
Reminds me of when my son and a friend of him, changed
windshield on a Volvo that had glued in windshield
As all youngsters they where in a hurry and had limited
budget. So they used some bathroomsealer they found in my
basement. The windsheild stuck and half a year or so later
the friend was in a head on crasch with another car.
No one got hurt but the passengers knitted cap was stuck halfway
outside the windshield and halfway inside with the windshield
still in place ;D ;D ;D ;D

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

hotrodford

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 10:25:18 PM »
I am a new member but a long time "reader".  Long time Ford owner/Fe owner.  Rarely I have I seen a question that I felt like I could add any useful input--lot of knowledgeable folks on this site.  This time, however, I think I know the product you are looking for.  For 30 years, give or take, I have been using a 3M product.  It is 3M "Auto Bedding and Glazing Compound".  Part number 08509.  Available at NAPA.  When I first started using this 3M product it was, as far as I could tell, identical to what Ford used in the 60's.  The formula seems like it might have changed a bit over the last couple of decades but still very close to what it was 30 years ago. 

Dennis

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 06:12:07 AM »
Can also get it in strips: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Strip-Calk/?N=5002385+3293194020&rt=rud

Was really commonly used by body shops for a long time. I still keep some in the shop, the strip caulk style of sealer is great for holding nuts and bolts into sockets for hard to reach places.

This stuff is commonly referred to by old timer body guys as dumbdumb.

With gasketed glass you can "peel" back the gasket and shove some of this in the gasket and press it back down. It's a little cleaner than the "self leveling" butyl in a tube. It all works, but whatever you're most comfortable using. If you want leak free and NEVER plan on taking the glass out again you can dress the gasket with urethane.

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 05:30:44 PM »
Here is how I did the front and rear glass on my Shelby. I used the EXACT product Rich does, but in 3M.  It doesn't leak a drop. If you are pulling in a new seal, use the THHN wire instead of rope. It's MUCH easier. Here is a link to the video.
                                                                                                     -Keith

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY_b6838A8g

urchinhead

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 05:53:38 PM »
Thank you for all the great feedback. Most rubber is getting replaced, and some of the sheet metal. This project snowballed in the last two months since I started having weekends off from work. I plan to start a build thread as I get the garage cleared out and somewhat presentable.