Author Topic: 428 pushrods  (Read 3994 times)

happystang

• View Profile
428 pushrods
« on: December 16, 2018, 12:34:36 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm coming to the stage where I'm measuring for pushrod length-

Where would one order pushrods from? I'm using Harlan Sharp roller rocker arms, so I believe I'd need a 3/8" cup one one end and 3/8" ball on the other, but what diameter for the rest of the pushrods? 3/8" or 5/16"? I'm assuming I'd go with a solid pushrod? (Stock Edelbrock heads, roller cam)

I doubt there's an off the shelf size that would fit so I'd have to go custom.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 02:08:21 PM by happystang »

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
Re: 428 pushrods
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 01:04:08 PM »
No to solid pushrod.  Smith Brothers, Trend, Crane, Comp Cams, Trick Flow, even Pioneer, sell pushrods that will work with your parts.  I prefer the Smith Brothers chromoly in either 5/16 or 3/8" depending on spring pressures and lengths needed for street use.  Through the pushrod oiling, or not is available.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

440sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 05:42:36 PM »
I'm going to be doing the same thing real soon.

I was thinking of going with hollow to reduce weight since the rollers are heavy anyway.    seems logical but is that right ?

+ 1 on Smith Brothers.  they're great to work with.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 07:03:38 PM »
99.99999999% of your pushrods are made of tubing. 

The tubing is cut and ends are pressed in.  Those ends will vary according to what you need to do.  Some of the ends will be solid cups, some will be tool steel, some will be 3/8" ball, etc, etc. 

The only thing you need to decide on is what diameter tubing you want, whether or not you want them to oil, and what ends you need.

Buy as big of diameter as you can fit in the pushrod tubes in the intake manifold.  If you're oiling through the lifters, then you want a pushrod that you can see through.  If you're oiling through the head, then you can opt to buy pushrods with a tip welded up.  If you're running a factory non-adjustable rocker, then you need a 3/8" ball on one end and a 5/16" ball on the other.  If you're running a factory adjustable rocker, then you need a 3/8" cup on one end and a 5/16" ball on the other.  If you're running some of the new aftermarket stuff, then they use a common 5/16" ball on both ends.

My advice is to buy a good pushrod length checking tool, get the measurements you need, then call Trend, Smith Brothers, Manton, or contact one of the engine builders here who have accounts with the ones I listed.

The weight of the pushrod really has no bearing on anything.  It's seems counterintuitive, but it's kinda like sprung/unsprung weight when we talk about a chassis.   The jist of it is buy as big as you can fit.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

440sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 08:12:45 PM »
Not trying to hijack the original poster here, but maybe we have the same questions.

my pushrods I took out were solid with a 5/16 ball on both ends.   so obviously I was not oiling through the rod.    is there any advantage to having oil flow through the push rod ?

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 05:51:57 AM »
Not trying to hijack the original poster here, but maybe we have the same questions.

my pushrods I took out were solid with a 5/16 ball on both ends.   so obviously I was not oiling through the rod.    is there any advantage to having oil flow through the push rod ?

On some setups, it's cheaper, because the pushrod is readily available from a SBF/SBC/BBC/BBF, etc.  However, the rocker arm has to be able to oil that way.  Not all rockers will pass oil from the pushrod tip and oil the fulcrum, rocker tip, etc. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

440sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 04:40:26 PM »
So with the roller lifters and stock rockers I should go with a hollow 3/8 push rod with no oil hole of whatever thickness they suggest I take it ?

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 05:27:13 PM »
Adjustable rockers? 

If so, 3/8" .080" wall thickness, 3/8" cup on one end, 5/16" ball on the other end, non-oiling. 

Non-adjustable rockers?

If so, 3/8" .080" wall thickness, 3/8" ball on one end, 5/16" ball on the other end, non-oiling. 

Typical pushrods are just tubing, not solid.  The ends are either solid or drilled depending on whether the pushrod needs to pass oil from the lifters or not.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

440sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 06:12:41 PM »
got it.

So on a stock non adjustable rocker set up if I take my push rod length checker and set it at zero lash on the base circle how much preload should a hydraulic roller lifter have ?   I'm sure if I run it over to Smith Bros they can make a set if I know the proper preload.

Stock rockers are 1.5  ratio correct ?

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 06:24:02 PM »
Stock non-adjustable rockers are 1.73:1. 

I run them at zero lash plus .060" preload on standard travel lifters.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

440sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 06:56:22 PM »
.060 seems like quite a bit but I like it. I don't imagine a roller lifter wants any slack if you want them to last. 

So just to make sure I'm clear on this ,  I find zero lash then have them made .060 longer ?

And one last dumb question, does the 3/8 ball go on the lifter or the rocker ?  because both ends on my push rods were 5/16.

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 07:05:50 PM »
I'm running Isky 3/8 cup and ball pushrods with Dove roller rockers. I noted that most hydraulic lifters offer no provision for oiling via the pushrod They're high quality and about half the price of Crane. The Lunatti pushrods are 11/32. They offer one length at 245.00 a set. Smith Bros are great quality and available in custom lengths.
                                                                                              -Keith

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 07:28:35 PM »
.060 seems like quite a bit but I like it. I don't imagine a roller lifter wants any slack if you want them to last. 

So just to make sure I'm clear on this ,  I find zero lash then have them made .060 longer ?

And one last dumb question, does the 3/8 ball go on the lifter or the rocker ?  because both ends on my push rods were 5/16.

Zero lash, add .060” for preload.

On a factory non adjustable, the 3/8” ball goes in the rocker. 

I don’t know of any hydraulic roller lifter that won’t allow pushrod oiling but some rockers won’t allow it.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

440sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2018, 08:09:34 PM »
got it.  will do.

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 02:18:19 AM »
I didn't see anything about a roller cam, just rockers...... I haven't seen any FE hydraulic lifters that provide oiling via the pushrod. Perhaps there are, just not common.