Author Topic: Cam Bearing Debacle  (Read 1678 times)

440sixpack

• View Profile
Cam Bearing Debacle
« on: December 15, 2018, 05:06:49 PM »

so I got my 428 back from the machine shop and they screwed up on the cam bearings.  the front one is fine, the rest have the oil slot at about the 5:00 o clock position and they're going to get zero oil. 

I assume this oil hole is supposed to be at 6:00 to line up with the hole to the main bearing ?

If I am correct I can have them pick it up in 2 weeks and hopefully get it back 2 weeks after that.   or,  can I just drill a hole down the oil passage through the bearing and go with it ?

I'm a little shocked by this , this machine shop is the go to one for most of the state. and at 160 miles away the closet one to me.  I've never had them screw up before but this is pretty sorry.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Cam Bearing Debacle
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 05:20:28 PM »
The block behind the cam bearing is grooved.  It will get plenty of oil. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

440sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 05:51:27 PM »
  is the oil galley from the cam bearing to the main bearing supposed to be blocked off by the cam bearing ?   

I'll take a piece of wire and see if I can get it in deeper than the bearing thickness but I'm almost sure I cant.    I think I know what you're saying but if it's on the groove it must be very light cut in the block.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 06:24:55 PM »
If you can see the groove through the hole in the cam bearing, it's fine. 

There are SAE papers that talk about the benefit of having the oil wedge located at the 4-5:00 position.  I don't install them that way, but it will be just fine if the bearings are clocked that direction.....as long as the hole intersects the groove.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 06:52:24 PM »
As Brent said, there is a grove all the way around the cam bearing bore in standard FE blocks including the 428. The oil travels around the outside of the bearing to reach the mains. I commonly put my bearings at 4 o'clock. Never had an issue. You will be just fine.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 07:08:21 PM »
If you can see the groove through the hole in the cam bearing, it's fine. 

There are SAE papers that talk about the benefit of having the oil wedge located at the 4-5:00 position.  I don't install them that way, but it will be just fine if the bearings are clocked that direction.....as long as the hole intersects the groove.

x2

Technically the 6 o'clock is a "negative" since the hole is in line with the load bearing area.  Realistically every solid lifter side oiler on the planet mandated the 6 o'clock position so that argument is !@#$%! too.  Run it.

440sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 07:17:35 PM »
Ok , now I see.  it looks like it's just flat steel behind it but there is a groove about the depth of the bearing thickness.  this is a new one for me.

thanks,  another mystery solved.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 07:23:54 PM »
See, you mopar guys are not the only ones that have some wacky little things with the engines..  ;D
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.