Author Topic: Pushrod oiling solid lifters?  (Read 7744 times)

ToddK

• View Profile
Pushrod oiling solid lifters?
« on: October 02, 2012, 07:55:17 PM »
I have a new set of T&D rockers that I may end up using on my iron headed 390. These rockers require pushrod oiling, and I am using solid flat tappets, the dumbell type from Comp. From memory, these lifters do not supply oil to the pushrod, so I will need to change both the lifters and pushrods if I end up using these rockers.

Can the other types of lifters, such as the Comp 817's be used in an FE? They have the same 0.875" diameter. Since I would have to get new pushrods, the seat height shouldn't be a problem. Anyone know a reason why they won't work? Or does anyone have another suggestion on how to get around this? Thanks.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Pushrod oiling solid lifters?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 08:46:02 PM »
I've only oiled through the pushrods on a roller cam motor, so I'm not sure about the flat tappet lifters, but I think you can use a 429-460 style lifter in the FE block and get the oil to the pushrod that way.  Barry R at Survival would know for sure...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Joe-jdc

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 09:57:37 PM »
Yes, as long as the oil hole is not uncovered at valve lift, allowing the oil to squirt into the valley and lose pressure to the rocker arms.  Some brands of solid lifters are sold to fit 289/427/460s, and you have to check the placement of the oiling holes on the barrel of the lifter body.  Joe-JDC.

afret

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 10:27:09 PM »
If you have the street version of the T+D rockers, I think you should be able to get oil to the rockers the normal way since you don't have to machine away the rocker stand pads on the heads.  The race version of the rockers requires pushrod oiling.

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 10:50:48 PM »
Yes, I have the street versions of the T&D's. They make mention in the instructions of using the special stud on the 2/6 stands, however the studs they supplied are not necked down. They do not make any mention of whether they can be oiled using the normal FE system or are pushrod only for oiling. Guess I should send T&D an email and ask.

afret

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 11:03:48 PM »
If you stick the stud in the hole in the rocker stand and there is slop you probably don't need a necked down stud. Enough oil should get through.  If you have iron heads, that stud needs to be long enough to make up for the oiling hole depression in the rocker stand pad on the head.  If you need a necked down long stud,  Doug at POP carries them.  You can ask him if he would sell just that stud for each side instead of buying the whole kit.

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 12:14:10 AM »
I already have a set of Doug's studs on the heads at the moment. I'm currently using a set of PRW stainless steel rockers, but after seeing pictures of recent carnage of those rockers, I'm thinking of maybe using the T&D's instead.

I have sent an email to T&D regarding this question, so hopefully they will let me know.

funsummer

• Joel R
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 09:35:40 AM »
i am in the same situation as you Todd, please let me no what T&D replies with.
Rgds
Joel
Joel Reynolds
1965 Galaxie LTD 2 door.
1938 Nash

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 06:11:53 PM »
Got a reply from T&D. They said their single shaft FE rockers can be oiled by either the standard FE method or through the pushrods. So no need for me to change the lifters or pushrods.

funsummer

• Joel R
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 09:19:54 AM »
Loving this Forum.
Thanks Todd.
Joel Reynolds
1965 Galaxie LTD 2 door.
1938 Nash

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 04:49:41 PM »
Sorry for taking so long.  Been tangled up in an Engine Masters debacle.  BTW - Ford S.B solid lifters oil through just fine.

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 06:49:32 PM »
Thanks for that Barry. I knew you were busy this last week.