Author Topic: Can you still get 1/2 grooved main bearings?  (Read 7248 times)

CDXXVII

• View Profile
Can you still get 1/2 grooved main bearings?
« on: October 01, 2012, 08:00:08 PM »
Clevite description on Summit site is not clear.

I have a grooved STD iron crankshaft for a 406 restoration.

Trying to decide what will work best.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Can you still get 1/2 grooved main bearings?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 09:07:31 PM »
I'd go with the Federal Mogul 125M mains.  They are a 3/4 groove design and according to Barry R they are the best main bearings to use for an FE.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

1967 XR7 GT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 12:04:30 PM »
I found this post through search, and I basically have the same issue, the best bearing for a grooved main crank ? What about FT 391 bearings, anyone know if they are grooved ? 

Anybody have any non-grooved mains for an FE ? Didn't hurt to ask. I have my crank at the machinist waiting to get it  checked out, it's currently at .010" on the mains so waiting to see if it stays there are has to go .020", but thought I would start checking out my bearing options.

I'd go with the Federal Mogul 125M mains.  They are a 3/4 groove design and according to Barry R they are the best main bearings to use for an FE.

Richard

"Frankly, I'm tired of hearing all the complaints; makes me wonder why I bother hosting this forum."

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
Rather then presume, do the grooves in the crank line up with the grooves in
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 06:40:23 PM »
the bearings exactly?

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 07:42:50 PM »
Been a while, but ACL Cleveland bearings will fit an FE and they are/were 1/2 grooved.

1967 XR7 GT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 01:24:25 AM »
Been a while, but ACL Cleveland bearings will fit an FE and they are/were 1/2 grooved.

Hi Barry

Thanks, I remember reading something about it a while back, the tangs need to be ground off due to not being in the same location as on FE bearings ?

And I did find these today: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cle-ms685p10?seid=srese1&gclid=CLCNgayduroCFWxo7AodoWEAnQ  and it says these are 1/2 grooved, but some one posted they had bought a set and they came fully grooved ? 

I bought this crank to use in my Side Oiler build for several reasons, and at the time I didn't think the grooved mains would be any issue : 
Quote from: 1967 XR7 GT;616602
I have decided to stay stock stroke, so I picked up an early forged factory crank (Pictured) for my SO build, this one comes with two additional center counter weights. From what I was able to find out, this crank came in the 64 427 HR and in the TBolts and is listed in the 427 7000 RPM Kits and was used as a Nascar Crank.

I sent it to a crank shop to get a check-up and a clean up, and will post pics when I get it.

I think around 450 Hp is more than enough, I don't really need any more, I just want it reliable with very little maintenance.

I'm going to use the car as a daily driver, so will go around the size of the cam I currently have in my 390, drop the stall from 3500 to 2500 and drop the gears from 4.57's to something between 3.25's to 3.50's for freeway driving.

Richard

"Frankly, I'm tired of hearing all the complaints; makes me wonder why I bother hosting this forum."

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 07:09:38 AM »
Yes - you need to remove the tangs or put tang slots in the block & cap.  Except for the thrusts which work as is.

CDXXVII

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 09:10:42 PM »

Hi Barry

Thanks, I remember reading something about it a while back, the tangs need to be ground off due to not being in the same location as on FE bearings ?

And I did find these today: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cle-ms685p10?seid=srese1&gclid=CLCNgayduroCFWxo7AodoWEAnQ  and it says these are 1/2 grooved, but some one posted they had bought a set and they came fully grooved ? 

It does say 1/2 groove doesn't it? Maybe will you have to buy and tell us what you find!

1967 XR7 GT

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 12:39:48 PM »
I am still waiting to get my crank checked out so I know what size bearings I will need. But I just called Summit anyways and they said their Web page is incorrect, the bearings are fully grooved, then I asked if there are any 1/2 grooved mains and when the Tech guy came back he said all the manufactures show fully grooved mains only. After I a hung up, I forgot to ask about the 3/4 Grooved mains, but you would think if they were available he would of found them ?  Unless his search was specific for 1/2 grooved mains only and wouldn't show anything else ?

I'll just epoxy up the grooves in the bearings and run them... ::)

I will start looking at the Cleveland bearings, just will have to grind off the tangs, since I won't bother to have the block and caps slotted. The tangs are for locating the bearings for ease of assembly, it's the bearing crush that keeps the bearings in place.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 12:50:36 PM by 1967 XR7 GT »
Richard

Mike Caruso

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 03:09:13 PM »
WOW I have not seen a center weighted old Hi Riser crankshaft in what seems like a zillion years. A very cool part that most guy's removed because of weight. But that crankshaft can take a beating ran them in the Blown engine back in the day.

Mike Caruso
Do It Like You Mean It .....or Don't Bother!
www.AERA.org
Engine Professional Magazine Free To All