Author Topic: Eye-ballin' an enclosed trailer on auction  (Read 2153 times)

AlanCasida

• View Profile
Eye-ballin' an enclosed trailer on auction
« on: November 18, 2018, 09:26:33 PM »
So far the price is pretty good. Would rather not have a black trailer but if it goes cheap enough well....
https://www.purplewave.com/auction/181128/item/DD3772

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Eye-ballin' an enclosed trailer on auction
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 08:19:36 AM »
Other than that little bit of damage on the upper left corner, it looks to be pretty nice, and has all the basics you'd want in a car hauler.
Good luck with the auction, Alan.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 09:26:59 AM »
I don't know what the scare of a black trailer is?  I never thought much about it and have had mine for 21 yrs now.  People always talk about streaks?  Mine didn't have problems when it was new and shiny(though I did wash it regularly).  I've seen more white trailers that look horrible then my trailer ever was.  Granted mine is well past worn these days.

Looks decent, but it's nearing $5k and I would look closely at what a new one would cost.  That is not a high end model. Granted, any cost savings is a good thing, but sometimes it might not be such a deal?  Just adding my .02.
Larry

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 09:35:37 AM »
Black trailers are hotter'n hell - why I don't understand how they sell any in Texas but they do.  It's at a decent price now for a 2016.  A new 28' Continental Cargo at TrailerNut (not a recommendation, just once price location) is $7599.  So watch the price and don't forget to add in the 10% buyers premium.  For comparison, a full meal deal 28' with cabinets, LED, etc is around $28K.  Which must be the oddball escape door.  That's more $$ than our 34' custom with everything.

Our uninsulated 24' white trailer would be 100F+ on the inside walls in the sun.  Black is hotter still.  If you get any trailer, it pays to paint the roof with white "Mobile Coat" - that cuts 10~20F heat gain from the bare aluminum roof.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 09:37:10 AM by Falcon67 »

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 10:39:13 AM »
Never thought much about the heat issue, but in Texas I can see the problem.   Mine is a Haulmark Elite II, it has insulated roof, so even in 90+ degree weather it is not bad.  In a lower model trailer with no interior I can see it being a sardine can in the summer.
Larry

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 03:09:01 PM »
It's normal here in the summer for our pit space at the track to be 130~140F ground temp.  Track runs W to E and parking sits the trailers facing N/S more or less, so the west sun beats on every one.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 03:33:56 PM »
Our tracks run every direction around here.  I'm lucky to have so many different places to go, all within a 1-2 hours of home.  Depending on the track, I try to park so the tail door is to the East, or the side door is.  That give the most shade inside the trailer or under the awning.

Most tracks have grass pits available.  Some places, like Norwalk(summit motorsport park) is all asphalt.  It can get very hot if you don't have some kind of shade.  When I ordered my trailer, I got the longest awning available(24ft).  I tend to gather plenty of people when its hot or rainy.
Larry

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 06:13:04 PM »
I don't know what the scare of a black trailer is?  I never thought much about it and have had mine for 21 yrs now.  People always talk about streaks?  Mine didn't have problems when it was new and shiny(though I did wash it regularly).  I've seen more white trailers that look horrible then my trailer ever was.  Granted mine is well past worn these days.

Looks decent, but it's nearing $5k and I would look closely at what a new one would cost.  That is not a high end model. Granted, any cost savings is a good thing, but sometimes it might not be such a deal?  Just adding my .02.

Temperature is the main issue I have with a black trailer. It gets pretty warm here in Southern Kansas and due to my limited shop space, any enclosed trailer I get will most likely end up being a portable garage a good part of the time so I don't want to slow cook my car during the summer months.  A new Interstate Trailer with similar options(minus the "fat boy" door) is around $8000 so you are right if it goes much higher I will probably lose interest.

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 06:24:02 PM »
Well that settled that. Good grief.  :o
https://www.purplewave.com/auction/181128/item/DD3772
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 06:52:54 PM by AlanCasida »

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 09:36:40 AM »
money > brains           :o