Author Topic: Hair line creack in 428 crank - Trash?  (Read 1461 times)

dozz302

• View Profile
Hair line creack in 428 crank - Trash?
« on: November 16, 2018, 12:20:37 PM »
Well here's the whole story, I brought a 428 crank to one machine shop to be magged and they said it was junk because it had a hairline crack in one journal (cant remember where or which journal). The same crank I took to another machine shop for a second opinion and they said they would turn that one journal to see how deep it was and the result was after being turned .010" the crack was gone. So they completed the turning job and I have a freshly turned crank. Is this common and or is this piece some thing to stay away from. I should mention the crank was a stock take out. Thanks

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
Re: Hair line creack in 428 crank - Trash?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 01:01:24 PM »
Did the second shop mag the crankshaft after turning the journal down?  If not, they did you a dis-service and you have an unknown.  A crack that is that shallow is uncommon, but not impossible.  I would not install the crankshaft until you get it checked again, and checked very closely to make sure.  Sometimes you can tap the crankshaft throw with a small ball peen hammer and it will ring, and if there is a crack, it will be a dull sound, not a clear ringing like a crankshaft with no issues.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 01:18:20 PM »
pretty common on 428 cranks.  I might not want in a race car but would run it in a street deal without hesitation

dozz302

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 05:42:22 PM »
Thanks for the reply's Joe and Barry. Yes the shop who turned it did confirm the crack was gone (I would assume they magged again)