Author Topic: Any race headers that will work with the Milodon T pan?  (Read 4325 times)

afret

Re: Any race headers that will work with the Milodon T pan?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2018, 07:29:47 PM »
On the stocker:  It touches the upper control arm when resting.

Street car has a bigger snubber:  This has about 1 1/2 finger clearance I think when resting.

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 03:21:42 PM »
I'll have to look and see if I can find a picture of the lower control arm bumper I made, not sure if I have one or not. If nothing else, I can take a picture later and post it. I also put a big monoball bearing and sleeve into the inner pivot of the lower control arm, and welded a plate on the bottom it in, like the trans am mod just to strengthen it and help take some load off the upper arm on landings.

I think Earl is right in his thinking, no reason to have a T-pan on a drag car as at that point, the headers will be much lower anyway, and be the clearance problem, not the pan. I think the Hookers and Mad Dog copies are about 2" or so lower than the REF. I have never seen those other Mad Dog Mustang headers, maybe something new or a street header, maybe they are not as big a tube either... not sure.
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2018, 07:04:12 PM »
Like I said, I only wanted to use it because I had it, and it has good baffling to keep the oil in place. I wasn't even considering the depth advantage. I've always had the factory deep pan on my Mach and have never had an issue with it hitting anything, but it doesn't go wheels up on the strip either. However, with the new combo that will be going in it, things will get much more aggressive. Beefing up the front suspension with boxed lower arms and beefier strut rods and mounts is already on the list, as are using some rollerized components like upper and lower arms and spring mounts, which I already have.

I'm under the impression that the Crites headers are the same as Mad Dog. At least that's the info I come across online.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2018, 02:39:56 AM »
Hey Doug, I own the fixture that is at REF for the T-pans.  We made the pattern years ago for my very wide Super Stock rear sump pan.  As it turned out, they are wide enough for the T-pans.  I know you have seen Scott Miller's Cougar...... it has headers made from that pattern.  If you wanted to do headers to work with the T-pan,  give me a holler.
Blair Patrick

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2018, 08:23:45 AM »
Blair, I came across an old post on the old forum where you mentioned that. I figured I'd wait and talk to you about it when we discussed some particulars about the engine. Thanks.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

John67427

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2018, 06:35:46 AM »
Doug,
  I was under the same impression that the Crites and Maddog headers were the same. I tried the Crites with a Caton T pan and it is a No Go, at least with the original design. If there is a T pan design I’m an not aware of it at this time. Just my experience. I happened to have an old set of Kustom Headers and they worked fine. They have been out of business for a looong time.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 06:38:07 AM by John67427 »

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2018, 09:22:04 AM »
Thanks for the info, John. Info on whether or not certain designs work with the T-pan seems to be on a case by case basis, at least as far as I can find. I'm just trying to avoid buying something that won't work and wasting money. Using the pan that I already have would also save me money, and offset the increased price of the REF headers.

The Milodon pan has excellent baffling and I think would work fine in a drag situation. It would also eliminate any chance of crushing the bottom and closing up the gap for the pick-up and cutting off oil supply. That's probably not an issue with the deep header design like the Hooker Race or Mad Dog headers, but the increased clearance of the REF headers might allow that to happen. Using the REF and T-pan combo seems like it would all but eliminate the possibility of that happening. Saved money and increased clearance is a win/win situation.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe