Author Topic: WTB 16" eight lug wheels  (Read 2560 times)

manofmerc

• View Profile
WTB 16" eight lug wheels
« on: November 10, 2018, 03:56:45 AM »
I am looking for a set of 16" steel wheels .Factory style would be fine .I picked up a 73 f250 and it has those 16.5" on it .They got to go !I am in Ga.So keep that in mind . Post here or send me a pm Thanks Doug

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
Re: WTB 16" eight lug wheels
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 03:52:22 AM »
I'm on the opposite side of the planet from you so shipping wouldn't be reasonable. However you can find CHEAP 16" 8 lug wheels new at your local wheel warehouse/trailer supply. Ask for late 90's SRW E350 wheels. They still used dana 60's in those and the wheels work fine. I think I paid 50 bucks a wheel after tax for a new set last year. I used those so I could put the dog dishes back on. There are other cheap steel options, but many don't have the hub cap bumps.

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 09:06:40 AM »
Ford used those wheels on the heavier Econolines up until they quit making them.  So a local junkyard might have them.  16X7.

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 02:38:03 PM »
Chevy (cough) 8 lug wheels have the same bolt pattern but it requires opening up the hub hole about 1/4 inch diameter. I don't think the Ford wheels are held hub concentric .
Just a consideration
Richard

chris401

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 03:25:26 PM »
I am looking for a set of 16" steel wheels .Factory style would be fine .I picked up a 73 f250 and it has those 16.5" on it .They got to go !I am in Ga.So keep that in mind . Post here or send me a pm Thanks Doug
You will need Ford wheels as they have the largest center opening. If by chance your 73 has front drums I recommend you find some rims with weld beads on the inside. When I was looking for steel wheel replacements for my 1965 F-250 I found that only the Firestone stamped rims and a set of aftermarket trailer rims cleared the front drums. The rivits contact the drum enough to put it in a bind. It will work and stop but the drum life and smooth brake pedal life are shortened.

manofmerc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 11:08:03 AM »
Thanks for your postings .I am still looking in my area just no luck .I  have my front brakes (discs) fixed and now I am working on the rear .next step will be wheels and tires .Thanks again Doug

Kirk Morgan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 06:04:37 PM »
The older Dodge 8 lug will also be a direct bolt on.

Kirk

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 07:36:26 PM »
Many years ago, I bought a complete set for my '68 F250 Highboy from a junkyard. They were brand new and they had probably a hundred of them in stock because they were so popular at the time. Not sure if they are still available, or if this info is of any help, but you might try calling a few yards just to see. They cost me $25 each back then, but that was 24 years ago. I've still got them, but I need to keep them because I still have the truck...although it's parked for good. I don't have anything to replace them with.

By the way, they are lug-centric, not hub.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

AmerigoHauler

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 10:50:52 PM »
If you have the dog dish hubcaps and want to use them again be aware that the later Econoline 8x6.5 wheels don't have the little nubs on the wheel to hold them on. I ran into this when I was looking to do what you are. Just something to keep an eye out for.

Erich
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 12:13:37 AM by AmerigoHauler »
Erich Weber
1974 F350 Super Camper Special
2004 Mercury Marauder

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 04:00:00 AM »
If you have the dog dish hubcaps and want to use them again be aware that the later Econoline 8x6.5 wheels don't have the little nubs on the wheel to hold them on. I ran into this when I was looking to do what you are. Just something to keep an eye out for.

Erich

Up till 1998 they had the nubs for hubcaps for sure, I just buy new wheels from our local tire store suppler and have been ordering by application. 98 E350 SRW always fits (has the correct hub bore to clear a Ford Dana 60/70 hub) and has the hub cap nubs. Later than that and they did normal Ford stuff and had some with metric patterns, some with weird back-spacing, and some that were the same as the 98 and older.

Around here the junk yards don't even bother with steel wheels. No enough demand they all say and they send all the steel to scrap - doesn't even sit in the yards a day or 2. And the price on new from the tire store supplier here is pretty good so I gave up trying to scrounge the local you pick it but it's already been pulled yards.