Author Topic: insurance  (Read 2807 times)

Stangman

• View Profile
insurance
« on: November 07, 2018, 11:22:12 AM »
So I just paid my classic car insurance and I had asked told them that I was at a car show at a track and they offered to lert you make a free pass down the track for all car show participants would I be allowed to do that and they said absolutly not. Does anybody have insurance that you are allowed to race. Even if its a limited amount of times. I mean I only go three or four times a year.

afret

Re: insurance
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 12:17:32 PM »
I might be wrong but I don't think an insurance company will cover your car while racing.  I just have liability coverage so I don't worry about it.

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 12:18:15 PM »
just don't tell them. I put duct tape over my plate because there are photographers taking pics. If you are talking about Beaver, there haven't been any timed runs for the car show participants in the last 4 years. It is always on the ad, but it never happens. Always the excuse that they are running late with the program.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 06:20:38 PM »
Racing of any type is a no-no for almost all with insurance coverage.

Story time! At a SCCA sanctioned slalom race some years ago at the then new Joliet, IL dragstrip, we had to act as corner workers when we weren't slaloming our own car. A fellow in a near new VW Jetta had the misfortune of just catching bad transition in the big asphalt paved  pits where we raced around the cones. Flipped it, broke most of the glass as the top was crunched. Some tried to flip the car over but I stepped in to say no way as the driver was fine and we didn't want anyone else hurt trying to right the car. A wrecker did and the car fired right up.

Later, I heard a lot of folks telling him NOT to contact his carrier.  Instead, as advised, he drove it off the property and promptly drove it into a ditch a few miles away and claimed he lost control... off the highway!

He got reimbursed!
Bob Maag

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 10:44:35 AM »
I know a guy that may be able to insure the car everywhere except under power on the track.  As above, hit in the pits would be covered, hit the wall on track - your dime.  This is why we all keep spare fenders and such LOL.

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 11:34:38 AM »
I have Hagerty on all my classic cars.  Even on my race car.  No coverage while going down track, but I'm covered when in the pits, trailering, or storage.
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 02:07:00 PM »

Story time! At a SCCA sanctioned slalom race some years ago at the then new Joliet, IL dragstrip, we had to act as corner workers when we weren't slaloming our own car. A fellow in a near new VW Jetta had the misfortune of just catching bad transition in the big asphalt paved  pits where we raced around the cones. Flipped it, broke most of the glass as the top was crunched. Some tried to flip the car over but I stepped in to say no way as the driver was fine and we didn't want anyone else hurt trying to right the car. A wrecker did and the car fired right up.

Later, I heard a lot of folks telling him NOT to contact his carrier.  Instead, as advised, he drove it off the property and promptly drove it into a ditch a few miles away and claimed he lost control... off the highway!

He got reimbursed!

I wouldn't recommend that in the day of cell phone video. Good way to end up in jail or court, if you ask me.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 06:43:42 PM »
I guess be careful. I mean anything can happen. I do use good parts meaning for strenght.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 08:33:57 PM »
Yup, your typical car insurance will not cover track time.  You can buy track coverage....but I'm not sure you can afford it!!  $5-10 thousand per year.  Fine if you have $100K+ car and really want to race it.  We have a guy in our stick group that does pay for it.

I watched a newer corvette wad it up at DW42 a number of years back.  Seems the son was rag'n the dad about taking it down the track.  Dad did...but didn't have traction control on and he banged it off both guard rails.  Oops.  High performance car and low performance driver.  Hell, there's plenty of Youtube videos of just such things.

I have Hagerty on my car/trailer.  Covers everything but that important 1/4 mile stretch.
Larry

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 03:50:48 AM »
I don't know of any regular insurance plans that cover the car WHILE it's racing. But there are specialty insurance underwriters who will cover race time. I had Hagerty cover my road race car for the street (wasn't really street legal at that point but when I bought the car it was pretty stock and I drove it for a bit before it became the race car so the state had no clue, I just kept paying my 100 bucks for new tags every year and they kept mailing them). But I paid for special race coverage, it was spendy. Probably not worth it, not sure I'd do it again.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 11:44:06 AM »

He got reimbursed!

I wouldn't recommend that in the day of cell phone video. Good way to end up in jail or court, if you ask me.

Ya, doesn't work - ask the guy a few years ago that busted his Cobra R (IIRC) Mustang.  Got tagged for the repair and the tow to San Angelo.  All the dealers here have racers and they check the track web and Facebook in case of warranty.

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 03:46:01 PM »
This is an acquaintance in the red GTR, I wont go as far as saying he's a friend of mine haha. He had a ton of money tied up in the car, it was super quick for being daily driven. He tried to get some money out of the insurance company, also tried to get some help from the guy who ran into him. Got zero dollars. Ended up parting out that car and scavenged whatever money he could, bought a new McLaren. With the McLaren he tried to find an insurance company that would cover him in the same sort of event, no luck at all.

My favorite part of the video is the helmet throw  ;D ;D ;D  Like I said, acquaintance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1lXvLq-4so
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

plovett

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 05:06:54 PM »
I think wanting insurance for racing is silly.

JMO,

paulie