Author Topic: Tri-Power or Dual Quad Offenhauser?  (Read 9704 times)

skeeter

• View Profile
Tri-Power or Dual Quad Offenhauser?
« on: October 19, 2018, 09:22:06 AM »
Hello. I am a newer member and an FE newbie. I have found a couple of FE intakes for sale recently and wanted an opinion on whether they are worth the time and effort to use them on an occasional driver or should I stick with a single carb with an aluminum intake. My '67 Mustang was originally an S Code and I have a 390 from a '67 Galaxie awaiting time to go through and be installed. I want to do some upgrades to it before it goes in. The intakes that I found are an FE Tri-Power and a Dual Quad Offenhauser. Both are complete with carbs and linkages according to the sellers. The Tri Power was on an early Galaxie but not sure about the Offenhauser.

They are both in the $1000 price range.

Advice or opinions welcome.

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
Re: Tri-Power or Dual Quad Offenhauser?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 10:02:59 AM »
Having tested many combinations of intakes and carburetors, I have found that the simplest and best answer to your question would be an Edelbrock Performer RPM with carburetor in the 750 cfm size range.  The intakes you mention will be down on horsepower, be harder to keep in adjustment, harder to keep clean fuel in the bowls, and have twice to three times the tuning issues.  If you want looks, the Ford 3 x 2 intake with correct carbs will always look better than the Offenhauser.  If you were to grind off the Edelbrock logo on the RPM, it would look much like a correct Ford intake.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 10:18:48 AM »
Well said Joe! My thought are the same unless our poster wants the 'look".

Having tested many combinations of intakes and carburetors, I have found that the simplest and best answer to your question would be an Edelbrock Performer RPM with carburetor in the 750 cfm size range.  The intakes you mention will be down on horsepower, be harder to keep in adjustment, harder to keep clean fuel in the bowls, and have twice to three times the tuning issues.  If you want looks, the Ford 3 x 2 intake with correct carbs will always look better than the Offenhauser.  If you were to grind off the Edelbrock logo on the RPM, it would look much like a correct Ford intake.  Joe-JDC
Bob Maag

skeeter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 12:42:40 PM »
Thanks guys!

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 01:57:58 PM »
Agreed. I have owned both of those setups, and although they may "look cool", for most applications it is pretty tough to beat a good single 4 barrel intake and Holley carb setup. Especially on a street driven car or truck. The Ford 2x4 intake is a much better piece than the OFFY, and they can work quite good, on the right application. But I prefer the simplicity and reliability of a single 4 barrel.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 09:15:02 PM by Rory428 »
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 08:22:55 PM »
The Offy 2X4 is junk.  The Ford tripower setup isn't bad, but will require some babysitting of the carbs.  The 750 Holley + Edelbrock Performer RPM is a very good combination.  It is also very boring, at least compared to a multi-carb setup.  You see that manifold everywhere, because its a good one.

If you want a multi-carb setup, try to find a Ford low riser 2X4 or medium riser 2X4 intake, or a Blue Thunder 2X4 intake.  For a single 4 with a 750 Holley carb, an old Edelbrock Streetmaster would be an excellent choice, and so would a factory 428 Cobra Jet intake.  A Holley Street Dominator intake would also be great.  Any of these would have performance similar to the Edelbrock Performer RPM on your engine, and be a much less common option.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

FElony

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 10:46:01 PM »
OK, let's get to it. Are you ever going to attend a cruise-in and pop the hood, seeking some "ooh" and occasional "ah"? No? Stick to single quad. Yes? While the 3-2V takes initial adjustment, once you're dialed that's it. I ran one daily in a 410-powered '67 Cyclone from 1976 to 1978. Once dialed, I never had to babysit.

Now, that was in the 70's. Presently, the carbs are older and attention must be given to the possibility of warped components. It ain't gonna be plug 'n' play. Also, the ports in that intake will extend below the ports in the C7AE heads, so you have to be careful about proper fit and gasket choice to keep from sucking up oil vapors. I did this on my C7 heads and had no problem. The equation will include the extent, if any, that the block and heads have been milled.

Your heads have 8-bolt exhaust bolt pattern. Stock Galaxie manifolds may physically fit the Mustang, but you will have to loosen the engine mounts and jack up each side to change plugs. Option A is to contact Stan at fordpowertrain dot com to get the right pipes for that head/chassis. Option B is to switch to a 14-hole head and run factory GT manifolds. Option C is to have your existing heads drilled for the GT pattern. Option D is that Sanderson may have shorty headers that will work.

temarey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 10:57:53 PM »
how about 3-2V using the new FI-tech replacement for carbs

FElony

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 11:11:56 PM »

Using fuel injection on pre-1986 vehicles is gay. Like, LGBT gay. Like, Fire Island gay. Like, Barack Obama gay. You're not going to get the oohs and aahs that classic clobberators will get. Plus, gay FI will go SWISH when you hit the gas pedal. No roar, just swish. I mean, Gay Pride Parade performance. We're talking mincing in black leather jockstraps in front of the kids performance.

Nope. Can't have that.   :)

temarey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 11:21:33 PM »
SWISH  I didn't suggest an electric motor
Fine , I'll put the holleys back on my engine

FElony

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 11:51:00 PM »
SWISH  I didn't suggest an electric motor
Fine , I'll put the Holleys back on my engine

Good boy. Good good boy. Straight boy. Good straight boy.

plovett

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2018, 12:14:05 PM »

Using fuel injection on pre-1986 vehicles is gay. Like, LGBT gay. Like, Fire Island gay. Like, Barack Obama gay. You're not going to get the oohs and aahs that classic clobberators will get. Plus, gay FI will go SWISH when you hit the gas pedal. No roar, just swish. I mean, Gay Pride Parade performance. We're talking mincing in black leather jockstraps in front of the kids performance.

I hate myself a little bit when I agree with you.  I can live with that.

chris401

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2018, 12:34:15 PM »

I didn't see that on there website. Thanks for the warning!

https://www.fireisland.com/

chris401

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2018, 12:42:34 PM »
Hello. I am a newer member and an FE newbie. I have found a couple of FE intakes for sale recently and wanted an opinion on whether they are worth the time and effort to use them on an occasional driver or should I stick with a single carb with an aluminum intake. My '67 Mustang was originally an S Code and I have a 390 from a '67 Galaxie awaiting time to go through and be installed. I want to do some upgrades to it before it goes in. The intakes that I found are an FE Tri-Power and a Dual Quad Offenhauser. Both are complete with carbs and linkages according to the sellers. The Tri Power was on an early Galaxie but not sure about the Offenhauser.

They are both in the $1000 price range.

Advice or opinions welcome.

I had a simular experience as Jay mentioned. I do not know how the plenum of the P-O-Sonice is designed vs the Offenhauser Dual Quad but my 390 gained when I swapped a single 4 barrel Port-O-Sonic for a Street Master. As for looks you can not go wrong with multiple carbs in any case.

FElony

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2018, 12:50:50 PM »

I hate myself a little bit when I agree with you.  I can live with that.

I'm waiting for Ross to fire an RPG through his monitor at me.