Author Topic: transmission choices  (Read 5380 times)

Dan859

• View Profile
transmission choices
« on: October 08, 2018, 01:56:22 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I just bought a new project car; 64 Comet Cyclone, stroked 428/462CID, with a newly rebuilt Doug Nash 4+1 overdrive transmission.  I remember there was a transmission thread not too long ago, and that DN transmission got pretty much mixed reviews.  So, my question is, should I keep the DN, or sell it for whatever I can get and then buy another transmission.  If I buy another transmission, should I go for a new TKO 600, or a new Richmond 5 speed?  Thanks, Dan   

FElony

Re: transmission choices
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 08:25:45 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I just bought a new project car; 64 Comet Cyclone, stroked 428/462CID, with a newly rebuilt Doug Nash 4+1 overdrive transmission.  I remember there was a transmission thread not too long ago, and that DN transmission got pretty much mixed reviews.  So, my question is, should I keep the DN, or sell it for whatever I can get and then buy another transmission.  If I buy another transmission, should I go for a new TKO 600, or a new Richmond 5 speed?  Thanks, Dan

So, stroker stickshift Cyclones are common in Ukraine? Found in between a Lada and a Yugo at the corner resale lot?

Dan859

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 11:06:50 PM »
Da, tovarish! My friend Boris tell me, "Daniel, this is Ukraine.  Here, all is possible!  I give you such good deal on Amerikansi avtomobile.  Your friends not even believe it.  And later, to celebrate, drink vodka we must" ;D

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 09:09:31 AM »
Are you sure it is an OD transmission?  Typically they are direct in 5th, thought you can make them OD, but the shift pattern gets weird.  Or is this one of those that came in a Corvette?  If so, then I'd think twice about it.   Might be farther ahead to swap over to a TKO.  Better parts availability.

I like the old school race Nash's.  I run one in the wagon.  Parts are still available in certain places.

Larry

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 01:46:03 PM »
I was curious about the 4 + 1 as in Chevy trans or old school 5 speed ?? , My old Doug Nash from my small block Mustang back in the 80's was 1 to 1 fifth gear , no OD ….. if you have to replace the transmission ( Chev 4 + 1 ) I would go Richmond 5 sd OD over the TKO , no tunnel mods ,conventional shifter or even a Long shifter will bolt up ,  split case design is just so easy to work on if needed I would go that route just for that reason  , John V had a post where Liberty preferred the Richmond over the TKO in HP applications

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 02:11:50 PM »
Hmm, guess I never knew they made a 5spd OD "new" like that.  Must be something relatively new on the market.   I guess they built it to compete with the TKO?  Interesting.  I remember the 6spd a number of years back, but haven't seen anything about it for quite a while(though they still list it)

I've been through each style, though I am partial to the Nash split case, either would do the trick if you wanted OD.  I do like the external shifter of the nash design.  That internal rail is okay, but I like my old school Hurst.
Larry

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 02:20:11 PM »
Larry ,  Richmond been advertising the Super Street 5 speed OD for years in the Jegs catalog , 2.89 , 3.06 or 3.33 first gear ratio , the case has a Main Cap in the center to keep gear train from spreading and they are a little longer than the old style 5 speed

https://www.richmondgear.com/auto-parts-catalog/high-performance-transmission-catalog/

https://www.richmondgear.com/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/richmond/RG22.pdf
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 02:26:23 PM by e philpott »

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 02:22:54 PM »
About 900.00 more than a TKO but the Richmond comes with a Long Shifter and TKO doesn't come with a shifter at all
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 02:29:24 PM by e philpott »

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 03:08:09 PM »
That lower cluster support has been around for some time.   You definitely need it in a drag racing application.  I actually worked on a Nash for a friend just a couple weeks ago that was like serial #3xx, which is really early and did not have the support in the case.  My case is like #14xx and does.  Likely any Richmond case will have it.

I don't doubt they have been around.   I just never hear anyone ever talk about having one.  It's always "TKO" this and that.
Larry

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 05:17:05 PM »
About 900.00 more than a TKO but the Richmond comes with a Long Shifter and TKO doesn't come with a shifter at all

Actually the TKO600s do come with a shifter just not a handle. However the Co. I bought mine from included a free shift handle and knob(I used neither).
https://www.bowlertransmissions.com/shop/transmissions/tremec-tko-600-ford-transmission-tcet5008/

Dan859

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 09:57:11 AM »
Hi everyone,
I'd like to thank you all for your help and your answers.  Just to try to clear things up, the seller said it is a professionally rebuilt Doug Nash 5-speed with a Mr. Gasket vertical gate 5-speed shifter and boot with stainless steel shift rods with heim joints.  He also said it has a lower first gear, and the rear end has 4.11 gears in it.  I'll talk to him some more, but it sounds like it's a 5 speed overdrive, and not the 4+1.  I don't think I'm going to change the tranny; I'll drive it and see how it goes.  Take care,
Dan 

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 11:02:19 AM »
  Dan the Doug Nash 5 speed is a very good transmission. In pure drag race use , a couple of weaknesses did show up.  Gear deflection was a problem with 8,000+ rpm starts with 14" wide slicks( older Pro Stock use) and output shaft twisting also caused failures. These were most common on "Pro Shifted"  (no synchros) because of the very harsh engagement. Modern jericos suffer breakage for the same reasons. Pro Stock cars now have a little tire spin ( controlled by the wheelie bars) to avoid parts breakage .For any use other than pure drag racing , I think you will be fine. If the trans doesn't have synchros , I would recommend changing it out for something that does again unless it is drag race only.
    Randy
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 11:34:39 AM by gt350hr »

Dan859

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 11:21:38 AM »
Thanks Randy.  I'll check on the synchros.  This will be pretty much street-driven, with a day at the track in the Spring, for test and tune day.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2018, 12:22:34 PM »
Doug Nash made street boxes, a friend had one.  Full brass, helical cut gears unlike the race boxes.  This was before Richmond bought them out.  I have some copies of the original paperwork that came with it.

One quick way to know if it is a "race" version is put it in a gear.  If there is lash between input/output then it is a race box.   A synchro'd transmission will not have the slop from the pro shifted style dogs/sliders.
Larry

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 10:20:51 AM »
  Absolutely fact! The race trans had a ton of slop when engaged. The sliders had missing  "teeth"  to be able to engage with the huge lugs on the gears. The Vertical gate shifter is what has me thinking it's a race trans. I could easily be wrong.