Author Topic: Header suggestions?  (Read 1971 times)

happystang

• View Profile
Header suggestions?
« on: October 06, 2018, 12:45:18 AM »
I'm looking into a set of Doug's brand headers for my '68 mustang fastback with a 428, 4 speed, and z-bar. Anyone have experience with these headers? Fitment? Ground clearance(!)?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dou-d626-b/overview/make/ford/year/1968/model/mustang

I don't want to break the bank (anymore than I already have) :)

afret

Re: Header suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 09:04:16 AM »
I'm looking into a set of Doug's brand headers for my '68 mustang fastback with a 428, 4 speed, and z-bar. Anyone have experience with these headers? Fitment? Ground clearance(!)?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dou-d626-b/overview/make/ford/year/1968/model/mustang

I don't want to break the bank (anymore than I already have) :)

They really look the the street Hooker headers.

https://www.summitracing.com/compare

On my '69 Mustang I had the adjustable Hooker race headers on there for awhile but they were way too low.  I tried the Hooker street version and they had more ground clearance but I found that if your car is lowered,  they still were hanging down too far for comfortable street use. 

I would go with FPA headers for street use on a Mustang.  That's what I have now and they probably will slow the car down a few tenths in the quarter but I think it's more important to have good ground clearance in a street car.

You can't even see the FPA headers:

amdscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 12:56:49 PM »
2nd vote fro FPA. You might play hell getting them in(like every other header).. but ground clearance is a non issue once they are installed.

plovett

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 02:03:53 PM »
Is the collector 3" or 2.5" on those Doug's headers?  It says 3" collector, but also says 2.5" collector exit.  2.5" is awfully small for any powerful FE, in my opinion.

paulie

plovett

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 02:05:32 PM »
Looks like some collector reducers are included?  That would be good news if that means the collectors are actually 3".

JMO,

paulie

plovett

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 02:06:45 PM »
I think the FPA headers have actual 2.5" collectors.  That would be a deal breaker on all but the mildest FE's for me.

JMO,

paulie

amdscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 02:29:22 PM »
^^ I thought the FPA's had 3" collectors?

plovett

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 04:26:39 PM »
^^ I thought the FPA's had 3" collectors?

You are right.  I couldn't find it on the FPA website, but I looked it up in Jay's book.  The FPA headers for FE's do have 3" collectors.

paulie

happystang

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 07:56:13 PM »
Looks like I'll be giving FPA a call on Monday, they don't seem to have prices posted anywhere?

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 09:26:49 PM »
 When I ordered my headers, Stan with FPA offered up 2-1/2 or 3” collectors as options.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 09:29:39 PM by Bolted to Floor »
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed