Author Topic: Motor mount "pinning"  (Read 12102 times)

amdscooter

• View Profile
Motor mount "pinning"
« on: September 18, 2012, 07:36:10 PM »
Got interested in this topic when I saw how my drivers side mount came out in half with the motor left literally just sitting on the rubber with nothing holding it in place.

There were a few articles on the topic I read.. here is one for reference:
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/engine-articles/466422-pinned-motor-mounts.html

And some pics of what others had done to their FE mounts:

Seemed like reasonable approaches but I thought of what I felt was a "cleaner" approach. I tested it out on my old passenger motor mount and it worked grand. Followed up by doing it to both my new mounts. Took about an hour to do both.  Here is what my finished product looked like:

Here is how I got there. Lopped off the stud flush with the mount. I used a Dremel cutting wheel but a hacksaw would work. Grind what remains of the the stud flush.

I don't have a press so with my 3/8" hole shooter and the mount chucked up in a vise I drilled a 1/8" pilot hole through the entire assembly:

Followed up with a 3/8":

Then finally a 1/2":

You will get used to the smell of burning rubber by the time you are done with both.. probably a non-issue with many here who are accustomed to the smell coming from the rear wheels.  ;D 

Install a Grade 8 2-1/2" 1/2-13 Capscrew and washer where the stud was:

Use a grade 8 washer and a 1/2-13 nylon insert locking nut on the other end. Just tighten to snug so the rubber can still compress under the weight of the motor. Be sure to check the nut is snug again after motor is installed.

Done.

Now when I roll on the throttle the bolt will take up the torque instead of the rubber and I won't have the harsh ride of solid motor mounts as the rubber is still supporting the weight of the motor.

Just thought I'd share my take on an old idea.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
Re: Motor mount "pinning"
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 12:51:05 AM »
Nice idea. I broke one once on a 302 in a Fairlane. The kickdown arm jammed on the floor and I went screaming into a drive thru bottle shop at WOT! Unpleasant.

My torque bar is visible in these photos if anyone is interested. Uses a rubber leaf spring bush at the bottom.

amdscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 01:11:42 AM »
And uses the top of the sway bar mounts. Clean setup!

Joe-jdc

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 08:10:20 AM »
You will need to double-nut that bolt, or weld a small bead to stop the nut from backing off with vibrations.  I did that same thing back in the '70s, and the bolts dropped out almost immediately before I double-nutted them.  Joe-JDC.

amdscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 10:35:46 AM »
You will need to double-nut that bolt, or weld a small bead to stop the nut from backing off with vibrations.  I did that same thing back in the '70s, and the bolts dropped out almost immediately before I double-nutted them.  Joe-JDC.

I thought about jam nutting it but thought the nylon insert would keep it from backing out. Plenty of space on the stud.. I might just do it for good measure. Thanks for the suggestion.

bartlett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 07:23:43 PM »
I went this way !  ;)   

390 Cougar Conv

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 07:57:35 PM »
The last mount is the way I went. Could not fine any mounts new. There pricey at about $260.  They won't let the motor climb up from a broken mount.
1969 Cougar XR7 GT 390 S Code C-6 Convertable
1965 Comet Caliente 302 C-4 Convertable

fe66comet

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 08:21:43 PM »
Too lazy to make.my own with the ton of fan work on my plate so going with these, kinda like the last pic.   http://m.summitracing.com/parts/tmf-109407

bartlett

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 07:03:51 AM »
Im taking mine off ! to much vibration for me.  Im debating pinning or the torque bar.

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 10:12:47 AM »
Scooter, good article on motor mounts and the "pinning" solution. I had to chuckle when reading this because of my own similar experience... When I first bought my Fairlane with 289, I think the mounts were probably untouched from new. The first time I really stood on it to see how it accelerated, the engine jumped off the mounts, put the throttle linkage in a bind and stuck WOT! 
Fortunately I kept calm and just shut the ignition off.  The engine came back down and all was well after that. I scratched my head for a few days thinking about what the problem could be, then a bright light went off in my head!  Ah ha, motor mounts!  When I went to change them, they came out in pieces just like yours!   :o
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

amdscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 02:01:18 PM »
^^ Lucky you. I did not figure it out until I pulled my block. The right mount was still intact and the left was resetting itself almost perfectly after moving about under load so I could not see it easily. Looking back the fact the oil filter was leaving paint on the sway bar shoulda been a dead giveaway.  :P Been running on my pinning solution for a few months now and it works really great so far. Only time I get that "solid mount" feeling is when I roll on the throttle. No issues with the self locking nuts backing off either though it is early and I am keeping an eye on them.

fe66comet

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 02:12:06 PM »
There is really not a lot of options for the FE out there basically stock or extreme. Maybe I should make my own with big a arm bushings to keep things under control without vibrating all the bolts loose in the car? Wish there was a easy solution but haven't seen one that will handle high HP and be easy on the vibration issue?

bartlett

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 12:40:26 AM »

fe66comet

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 09:42:39 AM »
Look like a nice piece but Holy FE Bat Man the price.

bartlett

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 11:04:45 AM »
yes spendy, but who cares if they work right. Im going to contact him and see if he will give me a money back warranty . Im not happy with the ones I got. They wont brake but I dont like the vibes...