Author Topic: If YOU built a 427 Shelby Cobra replica, what engine etc ?  (Read 8477 times)

Saltshaker

• View Profile
Re: If YOU built a 427 Shelby Cobra replica, what engine etc ?
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2018, 05:11:19 PM »
I have a A&C with a 428... 411rwhp 282S cam, C4 Heads w/CJ valve 280 @.600 int, Port matched RPM and a 750dp reworked by Nickerson Performance. W/3.50’s best time was 11.42 on drag radials
TKO600short OD cruises @70..2700rpm...got 22k on it
Jon

philminotti

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2018, 07:50:35 PM »
I built the motor for my Kirkham street car... No sidepipes or roll bar.  It does have a scoop and an oil cooler which makes it sort of a mongrel... Not quite a street car and not quite an S/C.  But it's what i wanted.  I built a Pond 482, ally heads, 248/252 hydro roller and FAST sequential multiport EFI through a TKO600.  Makes me smile.  That's all that matters anyway.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2018, 10:21:44 PM »
Nice pic but it's so big you have to view it in small pieces. Seems to be a nice car.

KS

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2018, 12:18:28 AM »
I built the motor for my Kirkham street car... No sidepipes or roll bar.  It does have a scoop and an oil cooler which makes it sort of a mongrel... Not quite a street car and not quite an S/C.  But it's what i wanted.  I built a Pond 482, ally heads, 248/252 hydro roller and FAST sequential multiport EFI through a TKO600.  Makes me smile.  That's all that matters anyway.
[/quo3te]

Love it !

I also like the sound of under the car exhaust, and coming out the side of the body.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 12:23:05 AM by 427HISS »

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2018, 12:21:14 AM »
Nice pic but it's so big you have to view it in small pieces. Seems to be a nice car.

KS

Same happened to me when clicking on the pic. On this tablet I can just use my fingers to spread the pic to any size I need.

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2018, 06:57:58 AM »
Right click and hit "Open Image in New Tab" if you're on a Laptop/PC

HTM101

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2018, 08:15:24 AM »
Just my opinion and tastes, I like clean graceful lines, but I think the original 427 Cobras with the Competition styling (no bumpers etc) is as close to perfect as it gets. Beautiful clean lines, with no add-on gadgets that detract from the styling. If I were to build one, I'd stick as close to that original Competition style as I could. And boring is probably the last adjective I'd use to describe them!

Your description reads pretty close to my car's setup.  Over the years I've re-done it to resemble the full competition Cobra.
original-style 4" round tube frame
FE engine
David Kee aluminum case wide-ratio Toploader with big input shaft
IRS with 3.70 rear
42 gallon fuel tank
dual vintage Stewart-Warner 240A electric fuel pumps mounted in trunk, mechanical fuel pump at the engine
twin batteries behind the passenger seat
6-pin wheels with knock-offs
satin black roll bar, side pipes and quick-jacks
Goodyear Eagle bias-ply tires

The car is red with white stripes.  If I ever repaint, I'd stay with the red but delete the stripes.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 08:17:22 AM by HTM101 »

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2018, 08:55:07 AM »
Just my opinion and tastes, I like clean graceful lines, but I think the original 427 Cobras with the Competition styling (no bumpers etc) is as close to perfect as it gets. Beautiful clean lines, with no add-on gadgets that detract from the styling. If I were to build one, I'd stick as close to that original Competition style as I could. And boring is probably the last adjective I'd use to describe them!

Your description reads pretty close to my car's setup.  Over the years I've re-done it to resemble the full competition Cobra.
FE engine
IRS with 3.70 rear
42 gallon fuel tank
dual vintage Stewart-Warner 240A electric fuel pumps mounted in trunk, mechanical fuel pump at the engine

The car is red with white stripes.  If I ever repaint, I'd stay with the red but delete the stripes.

Please post some pics.

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2018, 01:31:43 PM »
Kevin, I posted a story a while back that you might be interested in. Those pictures popped up today on my screensaver and I remembered this.

http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=5592.msg60363#msg60363
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

HTM101

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2018, 03:57:02 PM »

FE engine
IRS with 3.70 rear
42 gallon fuel tank

Please post some pics.

Here are a few.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2018, 08:31:57 PM »
Two big thumbs up on that Cobra. Understated is the way to go with those cars. What could you possibly add that would make it look better? Absolutely nothing, IMO.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Cyclone Joe

• Joe
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2018, 12:00:14 PM »
I loved the color.

Dual Paxtons would make it a nightmare to work on. And there's just NO way to use that much power in one of these cars.

But that color is my favorite on these cars! I saw an original many years ago that was this color. It was the most awesome looking Cobra I'd ever seen, but it didn't have any of the add-ons that this one has. I'd ditch the stripe, get rid of the chrome on the jack plates, get rid of the ugly black paint on those rims and paint them a stock looking magnesium color, and probably even ditch the side window wings. Anything that's added just detracts from the natural beauty of the design, IMO. Of course I'd have to have a 427 in it.

Agree with your style, black sidepipes, that gold tone magnesium look, no wing windows...keep it clean as possible.

Does anybody know the color code or name to that shade of red?